Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: How Do I Maximize An Octave Mandolin?

Agree -- I would also check out players like Sarah Jarosz, Sierra Hull, I'm with Her band (for different voicings). All master players and worth listening to!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Iwamoto F5 mandolin #118 in progress

Absolutely stunning! I love the look of the top-bound tortoise/white/black/white binding. Haven't seen that combination yet. I like it!!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: True Bluegrass Mandolin

Yep!
  4. Replies
    Views

True Bluegrass Mandolin

I was browsing through the Bill Monroe content on spotify and at the end of the play list there is an "Also Appears on" section. And in Bill's section, there is a Rebel label album titled "True...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: What's the deal with Vintage F4s?

I've owned a '25 F4 and played several pre-Loar F4's. Generally speaking, the tone of these F4s (2's) is more "woody". I think another way I would describe the tone is maybe last focused or more...
  6. Re: Gibson Master Model vs. Ellis F5 with all of his highest opti

I have owned both and still own my MM. If either one of them were my only mandolin, I would be happy and content (barring any MAS affects). In the end, I wasn't playing the Ellis as much as I...
  7. Re: What's the diff between Northfield NF5S and F5 models?

I was just at the Northfield workshop where Derek said that they do not use torrefied tops in their mandolins.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Marshall Mandolin Summit

A great event! I will definitely be returning. I can second just about everything that has been said. Great people, great instruction, a jam for everyone! I love that it is a smaller event (38...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis F5 Fern at Gryphon

CW, Your assesment is right in line with what I experience between my own Ellis and Northfield. My Ellis is a "Tradition" with a torrified top. The Traditions are modeled after David Grisman's Loar...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile quote on resting hand on the bridge

Mike Marshall, one of the best teachers I know, is a big advocate of resting the fleshy part of the palm (just below the thumb) on the strings behind the bridge and also just on the top edge of the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Meet ... the Perfect Mandolin Player.

Maybe he's spent too much time in the woodshed?
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield 4th Gen F5 reviews?

I am headed to the Marshal Mandolin Summit in August and plan on ordering a custom 4.0. I am told they will have a couple 4.0's there to try out. I've had a F5V1E for several months now and can't...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Rawhide pick stroke advice sought

It feels nature to me to, as you say, "appy standard pick stroke theory" -- keep the right hand in constant motion. That said, I don't know how Mr. Monroe did it.
  14. Re: 4-string emando, what’s the best out there?

I owned a ‘64 mandocaster that had great tone. I ran it through my ‘63 Gretch twin. That was a killer 60’s vibe. BUT, I always found the neck to feel ‘tight’ (best descriptive word I could think...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F-5L thoughts

MAS is MAS and sometimes we have to learn the hardway, but I think you will be happy with a Harvey! I love my 2012 MM and won't part with it.
  16. Northfierld F5A/Gibson MM/Ellis Tradition Video Comparison

Hey Cafe,

My new Northfield F5 Artist 5 Bar arrived yesterday afternoon and am super impressed with it. Amazed at how well it holds up to my Gibson MM and my Ellis Tradition. Especially for...
  17. Replies
    Views

Legal Zoom Mandolin Commercial

Just curious if anyone else has seen this commercial:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ItTo/legalzoom-com-miguels-mandolin-shop?autoplay=1#

I saw it last night, did a few searches but couldn't find...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: New Ellis F5 Tradition

And Here is a quick video of the Ellis F5 Tradition. Nothing fancy. Just tried to play up and down the neck and do a bit of chording, chops, etc.:

https://youtu.be/RFsxeCTdRGI
  19. Replies
    Views

New Ellis F5 Tradition

My new Ellis F5 Tradition arrived earlier this week and I have to say I am beyond impressed with this mandolin. Thanks to Scott Ruttencutter you can see pictures of it on his ruttlist website here:...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Post MAS syndrome

I am hoping (and praying for the sake of my marriage) that the Ellis Tradition that is set to arrive here in a few "counting the seconds till it arrives" days will cure my MAS once and for all (He...
  21. Re: 1 year, self taught - give me some feedback (audio clip)

I like the sound of the first pick better. Smoother sounding. The Fender seems a bit harsh.

Very nice for 1 year. Keep it up.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile's Mandolin Playlist

John Reischman is the mandolinist on the Nygaard fiddle tune.
  23. Re: Lloyd Loar, 1905. What instrument is he holding?

From the looks of the cutout at the top of the headstock, it looks like a Martin Style 4. Here's a website with some reference photos:
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: capo, capo no

I am in complete agreement about no shortcuts to theory. Being a jazz player, theory rules. However, there have been a couple requests for a simple method. I think the easiest method is to learn...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: I aquired a Old F4..

That is a beautiful F4 -- all around! Congratulations! Enjoy!
Page 1 of 2 1 2