Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about mandolin necks

It is for this reason that after about 7 or 8 mandolin builds, that I decided to not completely finish the back of my necks until the day of delivery. If, of course, the new owner is within a...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: A question for luthiers - from a non-luthier

Could this difference in the ease of playing also be an ever so slight difference in neck angle and the height of the arching on the top plate?
    I've often wondered about this too. I remember having...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Passernig two point in the classifieds

About 3 years ago,I played a Passernig F5 at Smoky Mtn Guitars in Pigeon Forge, TN. I believe it's the owners personal mandolin. That mandolin absolutely blowed me away. I've played a lot of good...
  4. Replies
    Views

Sloan mandolin video

Howdy folks,
    Here's my latest video of an F5 that I finished in the spring of 2013. I think the tone has opened up nicely in just the last 4 years. Please excuse my sloppy playing..ha! Thanks for...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Two new Hughes mandolins F-5 builds

Nice work Vernon, they look great!

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of finish did you go with?
  6. Replies
    Views

Copper Line Bluegrass video

Howdy folks, it's been a while since I posted anything. Here's a quick video of my group playing on July 4th. It started as an outdoor show and it was just blazing hot down here in Florida, so we had...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: DIY copy carver.

I built mine directly from the copy carver plans in 2012....it still works good. Saves me a lot of rough out time.
    -----Jason
    sloanmandolins.com
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Slowly coming along with my first F4 build. The toughest part of this so far was getting the 4 degree angle built into the soundboard to match the pitch of the neck. A huge thanks to Peter Coombe for...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Passernig #49 Update

I had a chance to play a Passernig F5 back in Sept. while on vacation in Pigeon Forge, TN at Smoky Mountain Guitars. The owner, Dan, said it was his personal mandolin and I believe it was built back...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

My first F4 build. Staying with the traditional mahogany short neck, black top top, X-braced.

www.sloanmandolins.com
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: F4 preference even in mando ignorance

Curiosity....plain and simple. As I understand it, a Virzi can hinder the volume on an F5 but add to the overall tone of the single notes. On an F4, a Virzi can add to the tonal spectrum but not do...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: F4 preference even in mando ignorance

Interesting thread....as I'm starting my first F4 build. The best sounding F4 that I've heard in person was at a workshop hosted by Mike Compton and David Long back in 06'. Now I should mention that...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for best deal in $1k - 1,500ish range

Thanks for the reference DataNick! I'm not on here as much as I'd like to be....so busy with daily contractor work and shop work at night. I'm getting ready to post a video/audio clip to my photo...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: #31 a Blonde Black A4

That's a good looking mandolin Mike...nice clean work on the back of that neck!
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

A few pics of my next A5. Carpathian spruce, eastern red maple, satin finish. 130765130766130767130768130769
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Headstocks, just headstocks

My first F5....130086
  17. Re: Post a picture of your completed mandolin built from a kit

Sealing the whole mandolin with shellac and then true oiling over is perfectly ok. I've done 2 mandolins this way and they both turned out well. If you go with the can shellac, you'll need to do...
  18. Thread: Matte Finishes

by J.Sloan
    Replies
    Views

Re: Matte Finishes

Perry...It works like a charm over the True Oil. I've always used a rag to apply it, but yesterday I put it on my finger just to get a feel of the consistency. I noticed that it had a very slight...
  19. Thread: Band Saw

by J.Sloan
    Replies
    Views

Re: Band Saw

Jim....Try Woodcraft Supply in Jacksonville being that you're not too far from there. If no luck, I think there's a Grizzly shipping warehouse in Florida.....you'll have to Google that. I ordered my...
  20. Thread: Matte Finishes

by J.Sloan
    Replies
    Views

Re: Matte Finishes

I used a quick dry oil varnish....satin finish....on the mandolin I just finished. Not true oil, although I did use true oil on my first F5. The true oil left a shine on the F5 which I was able to...
  21. Thread: Jacobson #23

by J.Sloan
    Replies
    Views

Re: Jacobson #23

Absolutely stunning!! Incredible craftmanship from top to bottom. Congrats!!
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: a few (more) questions on Tru Oil

Here's my true oil finish after about 15-20 coats. I sealed the wood with shellac first. I applied each coat very thin and wet sanded my way up to 2000 grit before stopping the process to...
  23. Replies
    Views

Absolutely stunning!! Beautiful work Max!
  24. Replies
    Views

Sloan F-5 mandolin......finally!!

Here's a few pics of my first complete build from scratch. This is serial #002.....my #001 did not wanna co-operate so she's in the closet! Carpathian spruce top, red maple back, sides, and neck....
  25. Replies
    Views

Nice tailpiece Marty! That opens up a whole new can of worms that I haven't even considered yet....awe forget it! This first one has been tough enough without even going there! Here's a pic of #2....
Page 1 of 2 1 2