Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Experience of short scale bouzouki?

I played a 560mm (22") LeVoi instrument for a long time that I always knew as an octave mandola, before I'd discovered all the discourse about naming! I used GDAE unison tuning, occasionally GDAD....
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Experience of short scale bouzouki?

I play a 23" scale length Herb Taylor bouzouki (specifically this one) tuned GDAD with all unison strings in trad sessions all the time. Works great! As for not having a 'traditional bouzouki sound'...
  3. Re: What characterises a slide in Irish music?

Quarter note eighth note combinations interspersed with runs of eighth notes. Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall, describes this with humpty, and dumpty each being a quarter note eighth note combination...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: What characterises a slide in Irish music?

Playing a bouzouki, and probably mandolin too, involves accompaniment as well as the melody. So here is an excellent tutorial describing the difference between jigs and slides from a guitarist's...
  5. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Lovely words, Tim, and much appreciated. It's a resource to be dipped into as and when you wish. I have no plans to step away from either the website or the YouTube channel and for as long as I am...
  6. Replies
    Views

20 mins superb Celtic tunes

A couple of weeks back I had time to make a compilation of old videos for YouTube. One of them is mandolin/cittern type instruments. Here it is -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgkabydSIOI
  7. Bouzouki fingerpicking improvisation "Ubi caritas"

Ubi caritas (Taizé Community)
    Music: Jacques Berthier (1923-1994)
    Bouzouki GDAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-U-QMerJbs
  8. Replies
    Views

The Blarney Pilgrim

on a Weber Gallatin Octave

wTWFtHPf3Dc
  9. Replies
    Views

Healing power of mandolin

I has been just 11 days since I had my carpal tunnel surgery, which required a two inch incision in my palm. Since I removed my bandages a week ago, I have been trying to use my left hand, at first...
  10. Thread: Jig Tempo?

by foldedpath
    Replies
    Views

Re: Jig Tempo?

Yep, as noted above, there's a convention in Irish trad and related styles like Contra dance to count beats in 2.

I've heard various explanations for that. One reason might be that it makes music...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Ever have one of those days?

I have been having 'one of those days' since I picked up my first instrument in 1978 . . . .
  12. Replies
    Views

Dick Gossip's Reel

Just ran across this. Really like his triplets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=rgOk_DSIWkA
  13. Re: Need help identifying this mandolin. Bought at yard sale.

A Larson.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Amusing story

Great story. I have a similar one. Several actually. About 5 years ago, a new restaurant called Mediterraneo opened in our town. My wife had eaten there a couple of times and one evening ordered from...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this Gibson A4 mandolin real?

I love that the nut looks like it was set up correctly but the strings on the bridge look like they are spaced equally between all 8.
  16. Learning to play Mandolin - A Beginners Happy Accident

Just thought I'd like to share my experiences with anyone that is thinking of trying to learn to play a Mandolin or i guess any musical instrument really.

Social media isn't something I use but...
  17. Re: A trip to Hobgoblin Music, and a new Paul Hathway mandolin.

I bet that beautiful clean white top will darken and look a lot like George's in a few years.

I like the tailpiece!
    Mine predates that enhancement.

If you can, use a hard shell case. I have...
  18. Re: A trip to Hobgoblin Music, and a new Paul Hathway mandolin.

I own a Paul Hathaway mandola (octave mandolin) and I have played his standard mandolin and tenor mandola (mandola). He builds very good instruments. Pleasing tone, excellent volume, sturdy...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: What Irish tunes should I learn?

One more thing a beginner should know, is that in an Irish session it's perfectly okay to sit out a tune if you don't know it. Or don't know it well enough to keep up. You may want to stay at the...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Seagull S8 mandolin. I just got one.

Hi there, Thanks a lot for your kind comments.

I'm actually trying to work out how best to answer.
    First off, I am Scottish rather than Irish, although it is certainly an Irish tune, and I do...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Seagull S8 mandolin. I just got one.

Here is a clip from my Facebook page of me playing the Seagull S8

https://www.facebook.com/daggergordon/videos/1427459270712795/
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Post-war Gewa mandolin

This is the kind I started with long time ago and it came out very well :-)
    And if you consider the price for a set of my favourite Thomastik strings (40-50,- Euros) you paid a fair price :-)
    You...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: My Level of Incompetence

Sorry to resurrect this one, and with a somewhat off the topic post, but a couple weeks back when this thread was going, a question arose in my mind about philology - specifically, the etymology of...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips for Learning - Beginners

You have many experienced responders, so what I have to say is probably preposterously simplistic, but here's how I started: I was struck by the 5ths tuning, and the related similarity/consistency...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips for Learning - Beginners

Just for perspective, getting behind the mandolin every day, whatever you do, is gigantic. The difference between the perfect practice routine, and a lack of structure in practicing is small compared...
Page 1 of 2 1 2