Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: the Rogue RM 100A in black (my Rogue) review ?.

My only concern is that if a new player is looking for J74's that they know they are really looking for EJ74's. When we make a suggestion it's always good to make it easy. It's easy for you because...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: PLEASE READ: Server Issues ongoing

Well, last weekend we had a bit of down time was related to a hardware failure that resulted in us having to migrate everything to a new server. In case you haven't noticed, our downtime the past 6-8...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

Thanks for the notes. We returned very late last night, back home in Kansas. Just a one-day event for us, marathon from start to finish. A full day there is as about as much as I want to handle....
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings mandolin thoughts?

ehhh...guess this one sounds okay....:grin: anything more needed?

m-6CB8dg_2E
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Lessons learned from Carter's and Gruhn's

The good news for those that venture into these holy grail retailers is how much mandolin you can get in what I call the reality price range. Yes, there will always be better, but the very good...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Does nut width really matter?

Once upon a time there was this wonderful little place in the world called the internet. It was the Mandolin Cafe. Almost everyone who visited it tended to be very helpful, and a fairly cautious...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Merry Christmas all!

Merry Christmas to those celebrating. Happy Hanukkah to the mando folks, like Dawg and Andy Statman who celebrate that. Happy whatever you’re celebrating to the rest.
  8. Thread: band name

by MikeEdgerton
    Replies
    Views

Re: band name

To be honest, this isn't the sophomore boys locker room, it's a family forum with kids in attendance. Let's just end this now and feel free to take this conversation anywhere else on the Internet.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Thao Nguyen

Like her, like her music, personally see no reason for people that don't have a clue who she is to weigh in with mostly anonymous public criticism, but it's the rule of the internet. Every type of...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: New Webers at Carter's Vintage

Yep, Carter Vintage has new Weber mandolins now. I don't want to step over the line of self-promotion in this thread, but I've known and worked with Bruce Weber since my first days with Gibson in the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Celtic Mandolin?

Some of you may well have read through the whole article I wrote about all this. The article is HERE.

My feeling is the term "Celtic" mandolin is very much a marketing term. Of course you can play...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Decisions, Decisions . . .

A green one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5Vz-z4PEkk
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Upgrade Advice

back in the early 60's, that was the beginning of where we are all at in terms of ALL fretted instruments. back then it was literally junk coming out of the pacific rim, and it was also back then...
  14. Re: New Kentucky KM-606 mandolins are in the wild!

Wow. I'm surprised that no one decided to deride the scroll, because that is usually the default target for the critics on the Cafe. Funny how some builders can go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of the box...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Versatility in a mandolin

IMO a Weber Bitteroot is a very balanced mando it's got great tone at any volume good chop when you want it and a very very defined sweet tone for playing melodies or anything you play on it, other...
  16. Thread: New Mandolin

by jmkatcher
    Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin

I learned to play the guitar thinking of it as a very large mandolin with the top four strings in reverse order. :)
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: David Benedict

He posts a video every Monday and he provides the transcript of the song. Make sure and check the Café on Monday.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mid life crisis

That low C is the bomb. Cranking away on old-time tunes written in the key of C just sound great. You can be the bass and the rhythm all at once. Rocky Island is one where you can hit the low C, and...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Excuse me... What's in the case?

I live in western North Carolina.:)

They say: What's in the case?
    I say: mandolin
    They say: Oh, my brother plays mando! :grin:;)

I live in western North Carolina.:) :cool:
  20. Re: help me pick out which mandolin i will get, pretty please?

It's funny-- there's only one thing that everyone can agree on--
    The best mandolin that's in the $1-200 range is a $400 mandolin.
    The best mandolin that's in the 2-500 range is an $800 mandolin....