Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky head stock inlay

I have one like that ... From 2013 I think. It is my back-up for when I leave my Collings mando home but could easily be my everyday mando. I like it so much that I had stainless steel frets put on...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: I can’t find The Blues in my Mandolin

Greg:

I have a dozen or more YouTube videos where I play solo mandolin on a variety of blues standards. Enter my name in YouTube - Sam Lyman - and the videos will magically appear :). There is...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Anything in Central WA state?

Great jamming with Mandobart and others in Pasco this weekend! There were not that many people at Sacajawea but that did not stop us from having a great time.
  4. Re: Big River - chord sheet and tabs / notation for solo

By way of street-cred, I am a veteran of many, many Dead shows and have a personal library of over 1,000 shows. If you want a super-good version of Big River listen to 8/13/1975 from The Great...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: David Surette has passed.

May the 4 winds blow you safely home David!
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Blues on the Mandolin - Let's Hear Ya!

And one more... the classic St. James Infirmary

https://youtu.be/_uf5uqfmUco
  7. Replies
    Views

Here's another one: Watson Blues!

https://youtu.be/qVOl0S60cHc
  8. Replies
    Views

Thanks for the tech help Mark!
  9. Replies
    Views

Grateful Dead's Dupree's Diamond Blues

Blues Grateful Dead style... Dupree's Diamond Blues

https://youtu.be/wfJU4xbHuNM
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings Vs. Northfield Vs. Kelley

I hope you love the Kelley and that it is everything you want and need from an instrument!
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings Vs. Northfield Vs. Kelley

A couple of cardinal rules to consider here:

1) People generally advocate on behalf of the mandolins they own or want to own when responding to such requests for feedback.
    2) No two mandolins...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Narrowed it down to three

I generally recommend the Kentucky but it looks like you found something you like so congrats! When my Collings mandolin stays home I play a Kentucky KM-500. It has beautiful woods and sounds...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Hoffee vs new Calton vs Pegasus vs ?

No, your Colorado Case Cover for the old Calton case will not fit a new one... I found that out:).
  14. Re: Suggestions for mandolins in the $600-$900 range

I played Steve's Kentucky KM 956 that is in the classifieds over the weekend in Spokane at a jam and it is a fine mandolin. I think a person could get a lot out of mileage out of this instrument and...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: I’d rather have Jesus

That's great Jesse! I cannot imagine any mandolin sounding better! Congrats on the fine picking and nice mando.
  16. The new Ranger Travel mandolin from the bike trail...

I was out on The Trail of the Coeur D'Alene's bike trail in North Idaho today for a 60 mile bike ride and brought my new Ranger Travel Mandolin made by Bruce and Mary Weber of Montana Lutherie.
  17. Link to a YouTube video of the new Ranger Travel Mandolin

I just took delivery of a new Ranger Travel Mandolin from Bruce and Mary Weber a couple of days ago. There is not much in the way of sound or video files on these so I thought I would post a link to...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: I may need to change my next purchase

Doc:

I tried some of Pava's instruments at Wintergrass in 2017. They were all excellent.

Sorry to point out the obvious (or near obvious) but when you solicit info about a maker in this way...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Who goes on Mandolin Mount Rushmore?

Nobody, I would leave the mountain in its natural state and ride my fat bike there with a mandolin slung over my shoulder and have a picnic and play old-time music once I get to the summit.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Wintergrass 2018 - Bellevue, WA (Feb 22-25)

See you there!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: First Major Upgrade Question

Aw Steve... thanks for the kind words. Yes - the varnished Collings instruments are a notch or two above the MTs and MFs ... add to that 13 years of near-daily playing and you can end up with a real...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Blues mando recommendations

Chris: I have 10 or so blues tunes recorded on my YouTube channel and can share chord and lyric charts if you want...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Confessions of a brand snob

My experience has been similar. In more than 25 years of playing I have mostly played mandolins made by Gibson (20s snakeheads), RL Givens and Collings with a short stint on a Heiden. I have had a...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Dream, Dream, Dream...so what's your list?

My list is simple:

The 3 mandolins I already own - a Collings MT2V, a Mid-Mo MO-W made by my friend Mike D, and Kentucky Km-140 that I bought for cheap from a friend when his store closed.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Givens truss rod on a late 1991?

I would check with Greg Boyd's shop in Missoula, MT.

My first thought is that no adjustable truss rods were used by Bob until 1992.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3