Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Tony Rice 'I've Waited As Long As I Can' on the mandolin

Thought y'all would enjoy this Tony Rice solo off of his album 'Tony Rice Plays and Sings Bluegrass.' It's a classic Tony break and actually lays out pretty nicely on the mandolin.

Sheet music...
  2. Replies
    Views

Sam's Christmas Message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VApmixd-UTM

Merry Christmas to All and Good Mandolin Playing to Everyone!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of your band!!

I did want to offer a bit of a response to Willi (and anyone else interested) about my duo partner, Patti Rothberg, in timely fashion, it being Christmas. She's been playing in an all-female Ramones...
  4. Re: I have MAS and check the classified hourly…

Thanks for clarifying. And giving me a good hearty laugh! :)) I needed that. :grin:

Rereading, I think it's the length of the tale told that makes me chuckle. I do get long-winded sometimes, but...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: why no carbon fiber mandolins?

How very cool, Will. Due to brick walls and a woodstove, the temperature and humidity of the main living space at my house varies so much that a big honking humidifier only helps a little. In winter,...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: why no carbon fiber mandolins?

Works for chumps. Picking's for Champs!

Congratulations again! Christmas came early for you :)
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: I have MAS and check the classified hourly…

Hi, my name is Don and it has been 3 months since my last Mandolin Cafe Classified hit.

Before that it was about 3 years. But with both my birthday and Christmas coming, I just had to look.

I...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of your band!!

Here's a picture of New Vintage Bluegrass Band.

And a bit of video:

Kbu8n9OAt0k
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning up a Traditional Brekke Bridge

If the picture is of your bridge, it looks like you have a tall base. Weber also made a shorter base so you could sand down the top of the base extensions a bit (but as mentioned, as long as you...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning up a Traditional Brekke Bridge

On the traditional cumberland bridge the posts are not glued into base but can be unscrewed higher if you need some clearance from bottom or replaced by shorter ones (or cut shorter). The hex key...
  11. Replies
    Views

New build, bowl back mandolin

Hi
    Wanted to share my new bowl back mandolin based on my flat-backs
    some images attaches and a link to some sound videos
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: What's up with that truss rod?

Glad to hear it was a success!
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: What's up with that truss rod?

I once had a " the loar" and had to use one of those ball end hex wrenches to adjust the truss rod. A standard one would not work, funky angle. I believe it was metric though.
  14. Re: Advice/Suggestions on characteristics of an ideal mandolin st

I have posted this before, but will again. This is a simple way to secure a strap, with some amount of adjustment, without a lot of strap hanging down. You can move the anchor point to the treble...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying without being able to play

I started a thread like this a little over a year ago. Excellent advice was given on all the things said here. But also, advice was given to know what I was looking for. Over the course of about 6...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: This seems odd

He's looking to trade so $12,345 is not the price, it's really internet slang for "no set price"
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Luthier Websites - Browsing preferences?

As for listing prices, most of my work is custom and I have no standard models, so prices vary widely. Listing even ballpark prices for new instruments is not really practical. Some repair prices are...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Ugliest F-4 ever?

The headstock looks like flop-eared Batman with a port-wine stain. And the body shows symptoms of a miscarriage in the making...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Action high - but why, I cry!

Can be many reasons for the bridge to be set like that. How much adjustment was there originally? Replacement bridge? Base looks tall and non-standard design. The neck block area can rotate over...
  20. Replies
    Views

He cannot play it in a boat, he cannot play it with a goat
    He will not play it here or there, He will not play it anywhere
    He does not like green mandolins and ham
    (unfortunately Sam I am,not)
  21. Replies
    Views

There are a lot of possible causes for a high action, some of which have been mentioned above. Without seeing the mandolin it can be very hard to tell what the cause is. it can be more than one...
  22. Replies
    Views

As I understand it, wood doesn't shrink lengthways so I'd say nothing is shrinking. A set of Mandolin strings have around 90KG of tension, which presses the bridge downwards and pulls the headstock...
  23. Replies
    Views

That can be true. However, more often than not, I can often dress the frets and modify the bridge to get mandolins playing again as long as the neck joint hasn't moved or the neck relief isn't...
  24. Replies
    Views

Oops, that should have been addressed to Will.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

"Pishdaramad-e Segah" by Hosein Esma'ilzade
    This piece is in Dastgah-e Segah, which features a quarter tone as the tonic.

Hja_aXQxS1U
Page 1 of 2 1 2