Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Dagger Gordon plays Ae Fond Kiss

This is Robert Burns's famous song Ae Fond Kiss, which I was working on for Burns Night recently.

It is played on my Stefan Sobell octave mandolin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCRrR8j58ZA
  2. Carols from the world for Fingerpicking Ukecello

Carols: Away In A Manger 00:00; Bambino divino 00:21; Buvaj, dieta krasne 00:42; O Little Town Of Bethlehem 01:17; The First Noel 01:48; Narodil se Kristus Pan 02:31; Puer Nobis Nascitur 02:36; Away...
  3. Now I know what a Cittern is. (New Cittern Day)

I was walking by a pawn shop today and I thought I saw a bouzouki in the window. I went inside to check it out and since it had 10 strings, I had no idea what it was.

Turns out it was a Lark in...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Show your cboms!

Here are my beasties. The Goldtone is the instrument I play every day, I love it - easy to play, nice tone, good to look at.

I've not developed the same love for the Hora yet, but it's going to...
  5. Thread: Show your cboms!

by PT66
    Replies
    Views

Re: Show your cboms!

Just finished putting the strings on today. American sycamore and spruce mandala.
  6. Replies
    Views

Scottish music on a Greek bouzouki.

Lost sight of these old clips in vimeo somewhere, but fun to see again after many years. Sadly, accordionist Ali Beag MacLeod is no longer alive, and very much missed in the Highlands of Scotland and...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Just so excited!!!

In use today... don't mind the short, fat, bald man...206981
  8. Michael, Row The boat Ashore for Crosspicking GDAD Bouzouki

https://youtu.be/FsIiuzlu5gM
  9. Replies
    Views

Gibson A Style-like mandolin from Russia

Just wanted to share the pics of Gibson-like instrument found in Russia. Undated, but probably made in the 1970's. Labelled Luthier M.M. Pavlov, Irkutsk. Nothing is available on this luthier in the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Random mandolin sightings

This may have been mentioned before, but a mandolin appears in a couple episodes of season 3 of Boardwalk Empire, an HBO series about early 1900s Atlantic City. The Al Capone character is holding it...
  11. Re: Om:   gold tone vs trinity college - differences?

I know this is an old thread...but...I came across it a few months ago, and this advice made a lot of sense to me, so I looked Rick up (Elloree is on Facebook) and found out his price has gone up to...
  12. Dragonetti Mandolin from Godfrey Guitars

Saw this on Instagram just now. Didn't find it on their web site.

p/CFqE1uunM0q
    p/CFp_c_gnCHg
    p/CFnwqwenY4W
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Picking technique on electric mandolin?

One of these years I'm going to build (out of whatever scrap and/or cheap materials I can find) a quickie 8-string electric mandolin-tuned object, :grin: and it will have 8 frets. :disbelief:...
  14. Thread: LiuQin

by Jim Garber
    Replies
    Views

LiuQin

The LiuQin is the closest Chinese instrument to the mandolin. I think one of the tunings they use is GDAE. I wonder if anyone has bought one either from an importer in the US or directly from China...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Russian mandolin

I'll sit down and write a post on Russian mandolins one day. There were many factories in the USSR that made ones. I have lots of photos in my files.
  16. Replies
    Views

New Octave Mandolin Day

I've wanted one of these for quite some time and couldn't stop thinking about one, and now that I sprung for it, thrilled at the playability, sound, workmanship. YMMV.

17. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this how it starts?

Took the Strad-O-Lin on a road trip up to Vermont yesterday for a "doctor's appointment" with Jake Wildwood. What a great guy! It was a beautiful day for a drive, beautiful country, and only the...
  18. Out of solidarity we will observe Blackout Tuesday

Since inception this site has attempted to serve as an oasis, a respite from the rest of the world, a place to relax, let down and get away from a lot of complicated news, hot button topics, and many...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Social Distancing

Reasoning statistically, we probably won't all be here; I do hope that the drastic measures that we are taking (I hope we are!) will limit the damage to as few people as possible. We're up to 11...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Higher Education for Mandolin

UPDATE:
    Thank you to all who replied to this thread. I was not aware of the CMSA or the legacy of Alison Stephens. I am very excited to be able to say that Chapman University's guitar program has...
  21. Re: Who was the first American mandolin manufacturer?

:mandosmiley::mandosmiley::mandosmiley:

I'm pleased to announce my investigation about the first American-made mandolin.
    Thanks to the enormous support from many friends and a tremendous amount...
  22. Re: Who was the first American mandolin manufacturer?

I'm very very close to publishing my definitive history on the first American-made mandolin. I'm excited with a sense of trepidation! I think it will help future scholars to continue in the search...
  23. Replies
    Views

Strad-O-Lin Catalog Pages

I probably posted some of these on various threads over the years but figured I should put them in the photo section of the SOL Social Group.

These are from some catalog pages from various...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: My prim tamburitza arrived

Sorry to add so long after the OP.

1993 Tamburitza Hall of Famer - Walt Naglich sells tamburitza strings: naglichstrings@aol.com or you can call him @ 724-838-7615

Tamburitza Luthier as well. ...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: The end of my playing days.

Hi folks - This is more or less due to a prompt by Trevor at TAMCO UK,whom,apparently has been fielding a few enquiries about my current health. As much of a gentleman & & all round nice guy that...
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4