Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Musician Jokes

A lot of my favorites are already on here, but:

Why do singers make such terrible roommates?
    They can never find the key and they don't know when they're supposed to come in anyway.

Throw a...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing level

I must be super-advanced then, there are times even I don't know what key I'm playing in! :mandosmiley:

In the classical world you can find repertoire and educational material that's ranked by...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Under Seat on Plane?

Often it's handled separately from general checked baggage and delivered back to you at your arrival gate, but I've also had gate-checked bags taken and sent to the carousel at the baggage claim, so...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Sarah Jarosz on SNL this Saturday

Link to the performance on Youtube here
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Sarah Jarosz on SNL this Saturday

That was quite a treat! I'm a fan of Sara Bareilles as well as Sarah Jarosz and Aoife O'Donovan
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: What is a Celtic mandolin?

It has always seemed to me, and this thread has kind of reinforced, that while the Bluegrass world tends to be dominated by the F5, there's a wide variety of mandolin styles seen in Celtic music.
  7. Re: Does anyone get depressed or even semi-suicidal when they hea

My trick, when working with a recording of myself (either my own albums or work I've done with other folks) is that I have to put it on repeat for a while, till I stop hearing ME and start hearing it...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Good news, bad news.

In my early 40s with a low-paying blue collar job and a daughter just entering college, my instrument acquisition journey is more about learning to be happy with what I've got. I've been fortunate...
  9. Re: how many of you venture up to-or beyond the 18th fret ?

I don't think I tend to go past 17 in the course of actually playing. I may have plinked out a couple of super high notes as special effects on occasion when messing around.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: If You Were Famous . . .

Only the jumpsuit knows for sure
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Travel and Calluses

I always bring an instrument with me when I travel, though not always a mandolin. My good mandolin only comes with me if I've got a performance where I'm headed, otherwise I bring my less-precious...
  12. Re: "What kind of music do you play?" and other pet peeves

If it seems like it's just a polite conversational gambit, I'll usually go with "folk, mostly Irish and American stuff" or a similar answer. If they're actually interested beyond that I'll go into...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: One mando kind of picker...

Fair enough, I figure that as someone who has regular musical commitments, which make up a small but much appreciated part of my income, I like to be able to show up no matter what. But it's not a...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: One mando kind of picker...

I pretty much use the same instrument (a 10-year-old Breedlove) for everything, I'm used to the feel and I've come to think of its particular sound as "my sound."
    On the other hand, even though...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Meet my Big Muddy jumbo mandolin

Very nice! I recently picked up their "Mini-Mo" as a travel instrument and it's made me curious about the sound of their jumbos. I like it.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Shocking to me

While I certainly won't argue that a nicer instrument will sound better in every way, I think a decent setup can have a noticeable impact on even a cheap mandolin.
    I've had a number of used...
  17. Re: How do you manage your multiple mandolins?

I pretty much have a favorite mandolin I play 95% of the time for gigging and practice, then I have a less expensive instrument that I'll use for camping and gigs where I worry about getting my good...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Steam Punk !!!!!!!!!

I've done a lot of Steampunk stuff, and mandolin fits right in there. Since it's more a literary/costume thing, there's a lot of different takes on Steampunk music (in spite of several acts that will...
  19. Replies
    Views

Carpenter jacks and seated playing

As much as I prefer to mic my mando, sometimes with groups I play using a pickup (Baggs Radius). Normally this isn't a big deal as I'm usually standing when I play, but every now and then I get a...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Car travel with a mandolin

I've wrapped mine in a blanket and/or an aluminized survival blanket before. Usually to "double bag" it I wrap the survival blanket around the case and another blanket over that. Seems to help quite...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Blasphemy

I like my BC, but to be honest it doesn't sound all that much different from my Jazzmando picks, and not 35 times as nice. But I also work in the bicycle industry, where I've seen people pay $85 for...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Professional musicians: Do you pay to play?

I feel like splitting fees with the venue or renting a hall are different from the "pay to play" type scam. The way it seems to go around NYC is you pay the bar owner for stage time, and they keep...
  23. Re: Do you take your mandolin out of the house?

I hear the live music scene in the Outer Spiral Arm of the Galaxy isn't what it used to be. All the good clubs went under and turned into sportsbars. :grin:
  24. Re: Do you take your mandolin out of the house?

Part of what got me interested in mandolin was how portable it is, if I wanted an instrument that never leaves the house I'd have bought a piano!
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: What would YOU do?

A week off from the mando can be healthy, sometimes after taking a short break due to injury or travel I've come back feeling like a better player.
    On the other hand, I've thought about getting a...
Page 1 of 2 1 2