Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing in Position

I’m mostly tryin’ to learn to refret the tunes I already knew, and, at my age, change doesn’t come easy, but I like the positions. I wanted to move up the neck. I’ll get it, but it’ll be a while.
  2. Replies
    Views

New Mandola

Well, yesterday I pulled the trigger on a new Gold Tone Mandola. I wanted a new mandolin that was different from what I already have, and one that I know how to play.

I like mandolins a lot, but...
  3. Thread: Pick Talk

by Picking Dick
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Talk

That’s great, Lflingpicker, glad it worked out. Ya never know with mail order. 1.5 seems ta be a popular size.
  4. Thread: Pick Talk

by Picking Dick
    Replies
    Views

Good to hear that, Mitch, it gives me hope. I have a round Wegen 100 that I like pretty well.
  5. Thread: Pick Talk

by Picking Dick
    Replies
    Views

I think picks are sometimes maddening. One finally gets a pick that sounds just as he/she thinks it should, but the next time it’s played it sounds different, and the search starts again. Sometimes...
  6. Thread: Pick Talk

by Picking Dick
    Replies
    Views

I have a really great looking D’Addorio round mandolin pick. It’s clear, red with white letters and nice and smooth. I guess I bought it for it’s looks, but it’s pretty mushy sounding — kinda...
  7. Thread: Pick Talk

by Picking Dick
    Replies
    Views

Yeah, I like ‘em a lot. My favorite (so far) is Prime Tone Round .3 or .5. I’ve been usin’ them for a long time. They’re great for tremolo, but, as I said before, they’re a bit noisy.
  8. Thread: Pick Talk

by Picking Dick
    Replies
    Views

Yeah, Chuck, I have a cupla D’Andrea 385 Large Round Matte Shell picks coming in the mail. They’ll be here Saturday. I haven’t played any D’Andreas yet, but some have said they liked them.
  9. Thread: Pick Talk

by Picking Dick
    Replies
    Views

Yeah, I haven’t tried the M150s. I’m using the M100s right now. They’re ok.
  10. Thread: Pick Talk

by Picking Dick
    Replies
    Views

Yeah, Pop, I know, but I started the mandolin with a PT Rnd 1.5 then a 1.3. and they are my favorites so far. My only complaint is that there’s some pick noise with ‘em.

I read somewhere that...
  11. Thread: Pick Talk

by Picking Dick
    Replies
    Views

I tried Golden Gate , didn’t care for it. I haven’t tried Dawg yet. Thanks for your input, Dave.
  12. Thread: Pick Talk

by Picking Dick
    Replies
    Views

Pick Talk

Does anyone besides me use rounded picks? I use mostly Dunlop Prime Tone 1.3s or Wegen Rounds.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Scottish Mandolins

Nice, Ranald, I like it. I have one with the Scottish flag on it, and a few with different plaids.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: F Style Mandolins

Ha! Where there’s a will, there’s a way! I guess one would call it a “lap mandolin”.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Metal Mandolins

Well, since I live in an apartment and most of the comments mentioned the word “loud”, I guess I won’t be getting one. I like it’s looks and the idea of it, but I make enough noise as it is.
  16. Replies
    Views

No, David, I’m mostly interested in the Recording Kings.
  17. Replies
    Views

Yes, Allen, I’ve been lookin’ at the Recording Kings and wondering if I’d like one. I’d really like a National guitar, but I don’t play guitar, only tenors.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Jazz Picks

Yeah, DavidKOS, I’ve seen those grips. I usually try to do things the “correct” way, but lots of players seem to use the pinch too. I think I’m gonna go with the pinch grip held very loosely. I...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Jazz Picks

Yes, DavidKOS, I can play and remember chords, but not as many as I’d need to play some of the other banjo/mandolin styles. I do add some in my playing though. I played wind instruments in my 70...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Thanksgiving Wishes

Yes indeed, I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving with lots of good food and drink and maybe a few happy tunes.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Hearing aids for musicians

This won’t be any help to you, but I have hearing problems too. I’m looking forward to your thread, hoping to learn something about hearing for musians.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Ornaments

I think many of the musicians here are aiming for the perfect Celtic "sound" and the exact traditonal way of playing this music. But some of us late beginners who will probably never achieve those...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Ornaments

Well, thanks for the info, guys. I've been playing Irish music for a long time on different flutes and whistles, but my embouchure's gittin' very old and a bit weak now. So I thought I'd try it...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Questions.

Thanks, Mr. Hopkins. That's about what I wanted to know. I guess I'll just hafta work my fingers out a bit. As I said before, I can fret my strings. I was just surprised at their tightness. It...