Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Book/s on how to improvise on Old Time tunes???

Gibcaster000, thanks for another book suggestion. I listened to the variations for Take Me Back To Tulsa and find Tuttle's variations are more in the swing style than the McGann variations are. For...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Reduce costs pleased

I’d like to know the data, and again use Collings as an example, on who is buying an F 5. I suspect if my personal experience with guitars is any indication, more are sold to folks indulging...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Reduce costs pleased

Don’t assume that companies sit back and just decide they want more money for their product. Costs of doing business increase over time, be they raw materials, rent, wages, taxes, marketing costs or...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Sam Bush playing something other than Hoss?

More?
    Lil' Red Electric

Les Paul "Macro mando" :)

A black top...
  5. Re: Sam Bush playing something other than Hoss?

He has stated that Hoss doesn’t cope well with the cold dry weather of places like telluride anymore. But that’s a great video.
  6. Re: Sam Bush playing something other than Hoss?

Sam Bush also pays an Iwamoto - Acoustic World - 4 string electric
  7. Replies
    Views

Isn't that one of the super limited run Gold Top F5Gs? I saw a sibling instrument in concert last year played by Brent Truitt in the Steeldrivers
  8. Replies
    Views

Yup, he talked about a lot of his mandolins in the interview he did with the Fretboard Journal (including why he wasn't connected with Gibson anymore:...
  9. Re: Sam Bush playing something other than Hoss?

I believe that’s the same F5G with a gold top like a Les Paul referenced here:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/112208-Nice-video-from-Sam-Bush
  10. Re: Sam Bush playing something other than Hoss?

I can't remember the story behind this one -- I think it was some kind of award or gift? -- but if you follow his Instagram, he fairly regularly showcases this one and his other instruments when he...
  11. Re: Tom Bedell's TED Talk on sustainable woods for instruments

CarlM, agree completely about finding alternatives to ebony and RW, and accepting those alternatives as players/consumers. Regarding the clear cutting of spruce, my understanding (and I’m happy to be...
  12. Re: Tom Bedell's TED Talk on sustainable woods for instruments

I believe that acceptable substitutes for ebony and rosewood need to be found. I am currently working with Osage Orange for fingerboards and am going to try making bridges out of it. It is rated in...
  13. Tom Bedell's TED Talk on sustainable woods for instruments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWbRP9dYJLw
  14. Thread: Picks

by Mark Gunter
    Replies
    Views

Re: Picks

I can empathize there, changing ingrained technique is not so easy. You have to be willing to suck at it for a while.

I faced the same conundrum (or at least, I had the same thoughts) when I tried...
  15. Thread: Picks

by Mark Gunter
    Replies
    Views

Re: Picks

I prefer them. Switched a few years ago, and it was clumsy at first, but I'm glad I did. It's a pretty strong preference now. I suppose you'll get different 'whys' from different folk.

One why,...