Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Mandolin topics for Elderly Instruments blog

I agree with OldSausage about mandolins "opening up". I'd also love to see a post about different topwoods and the differences between them like Englemann, Adirondack, sitka, etc. Plus HUMIDIFICATION!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: CITES and rosewood

So I'm a student of environmental science and policy at my university in Boston and I've studied the Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species a lot. (More to satisfy my intense love of...
  3. Replies
    Views

A visit to the Music Emporium

I visit the Music Emporium a lot. I live about 20 minutes away, and I've come to the conclusion that they are the best shop for mandolins in the northeast now that the Mandolin Brothers is out of the...
  4. Replies
    Views

New (used) Smart A5!

Very happily received a new (to me) 2003 Smart A5 mandolin, serial number #145, two weeks ago. It is a huge upgrade over my Kentucky KM1000, which I still intend to keep. It's got a beautiful, ever...
  5. Replies
    Views

David Benedict joining Mile Twelve

Just saw this fantastic news on my Facebook feed this morning. David Benedict to relocate to Boston to join Mile Twelve. I've been playing with the Mile Twelve folks in jams in Cambridge and they are...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Gold Tone mandocello -- thoughts?

I agree. An internal pickup would be great... I just think the humbucking pickup is gonna be one more thing that'll make non-mandolin players say, "hey, neat guitar!"
  7. Replies
    Views

Gold Tone mandocello -- thoughts?

The good folks at Gold Tone have released video of a prototype for their newest creation -- a mandocello. It was announced a few months back (see this other thread:...
  8. Re: Pickin' Salt Creek with Frank Solivan and Dirty Kitchen

The kid's gonna be "YUUUGE"! So inspiring to hear great picking from such a young player.

It also seems that Northfield master models are the weapon of choice for the youngest mandolin players on...
  9. Replies
    Views

New Pono octaves!

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/97123#97123
    https://vimeo.com/162012592

Great news to see on the classifieds this morning. I bet these have the possibility of becoming the least expensive octaves...
  10. Re: Kimble F Mandolin Lost in Los Angeles, February 15, 2016

That does it, I'm buying me a Calton!
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Saturday haiku contest to win a Cafe ball cap

Lloyd Loar mandolin,
    Adirondack spruce, maple,
    A king with eight strings!
  12. Re: Alternative options in the $4000-$6000 price range

I actually live in the same town as Troy Harris! He works at a mainly violin/viola/cello/bass workshop called Stamell Strings and I've known him for a few years. I was always fascinated when I saw...
  13. Replies
    Views

Red Spruce - a history

Hi forum!

Aside from playing the mandolin all day, things I do in my spare time include being a full-time college student studying environmental science and history at Brandeis University,...