Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Luthier Paul Hostetter has passed away

Paul was a truly dear friend; I had dinner with him and Robin up at their place in Bonny Doon a couple of times a month for a number of years. I knew he was seriously sick for quite a while, and...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Other builders mandolins

More a guitar thing, but Addam Stark (who was the lead finisher at SCGC for several years) shares spray booth space with me, and he does work for a lot of other guitar makers, so regularly get to see...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Titebond III

Haven't been around here for a while, but here I is...

Another advantage in using HHG are that if you're doing a repair and everything fits, the glue line will virtually disappear. I've reglued a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: 10 Questions for Lowell Levinger

Hey, I resemble some of those remarks!

Banana, Michael Kane, and I all met at the Boston University freshman rally in the fall of 1962. We were the three guys who refused to wear those...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Head and tail-block material.

As per Dave's suggestion, I use void-free "Baltic Birch" ply for end blocks and head blocks in guitars, ukes, and in the pancake mando kits I make for my courses. Because of it's strength and...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: carbon fiber instead of truss rod

Rolfe, good on that. It's how I build my acoustic guitars and I dado the CF up into the fingerboard as well as down into the neck. No, you wouldn't want to try to remove the fingerboard, but I'll...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: carbon fiber instead of truss rod

I'm an early adopter of using carbon fiber, and I've remained a believer now for 33 years, though I use the stuff differently than I did at first. For longer necks, I do like the ability to adjust,...
  8. Re: Loar era F-5 Graduations compared to F-4 graduations

If you read up on the history of violin makers trying to reproduce Strads, then you'll see that blind (or deaf) adherence to sets of measurements rarely gets the desired results because each piece of...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Mandolinetto

Re. the "reversed" pickguard... They probably cut those out on a scroll saw cutting two or four layers of material at a time with alternating layers of the white/ivoroid and the tortoise. Then...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: side bending - cracking

Holy Toledo, you guys! Even 1/8" (.125" or about 3mm) is pretty thick, but at .250" you'll have to steam bend it like boat parts, probably using a backing strap. I bend guitar sides at about...
  11. Replies
    Views

Sticky: If we're talking copper wound strings, then I...

If we're talking copper wound strings, then I just don't know where you'd get them. A lot of classical guitar strings are silver plated copper wound, but I don't know of any US made copper-wound...
  12. Replies
    Views

Sticky: You could get one of the specialty string...

You could get one of the specialty string companies to make some "Loar Lore" strings. That could be very interesting for a mandolin that wasn't expected to be a Bluegrass machine gun. I bet you...
  13. Replies
    Views

Sticky: As a production instrument maker building in the...

As a production instrument maker building in the just pre-CNC style right now...pin router patterns and such, I can say that as tooling wears, you get very slight changes from one instrument to the...