Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

Busy weekend. I've been taking note of everyone's excellent advice, but haven't had a chance to weigh in.

I'm in a learning environment, so there are mixed abilities among all the instruments,...
  2. Jimi Hendrix: Little Wing Part 2 (9th chords)

https://youtu.be/UA4YkLvoDAU
  3. Re: Ordered a Northfield F5S, Received a Big Mon Wide Nut by Mist

Hi guys,

I’m keeping it. I’m working it out with the vendor and it will end up being a pretty sweet deal.

Just so you know, after they contacted me earlier in the week, they said that their...
  4. Steve Morse, Rob Wasserman, David Grisman 1985 Merv Griffin Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BsZvQDGAuU
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: To Speed Neck or Not to Speed Neck

Heat and humidity from living 20+ years in Florida convinced me of the value of speed necks especially on my '56 F-12. The F-12 had a black painted finish on the neck that was extremely sticky so I...
  6. Re: Learning a Ronnie McCoury solo everyday for the month of Janu

Ronnie McCoury Month | Day 5: Little Cabin On The Home

Always fun to see what Ronnie does over a standard bluegrass number. This one has Monroe DNA all over it!

auVi8jzycrI
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: thin sounding treble strings on Collings?

All,
    I put on some EJ75s a couple of days ago and it did make a huge difference. The instrument has no more "blattiness" and is louder. But, it did lose some of the responsiveness (especially to a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Approaches to Practice...

I'm at the learn-a-fiddle-tune-then-record-it stage.Then post it to those super friendly SAW guys, then learn-another-fiddle-tune... and on.

Always with a metronome, of course.
    While I'm learning...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando and Fiddle duo's

https://youtu.be/D7N9qnFQU5E?si=BMCfJQZ81hBqYlSG
  10. Thread: Arpeggios

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Arpeggios

That is a very powerful technique, and a ton of fun. I learned arpeggio shapes "keyed" to one finger. Put that finger on a note, and one can play the major and minor arpeggio for that note. I use my...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Stop Lessons

Thanks for all the kind comments so far. I've released another video today and this time we take a look at finding our triad arpeggios in G,C and D and our pentatonics using the double stop shapes we...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: What flavor Bluechip should I try?

I know all too well about regrets. I have owned a guitar for over 25 years and a fiddle for close to that and never really learned to play either because I put too much pressure on myself to be good....
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Stop Lessons

Alright, second video in this double stop series is up and running. We take the G major double stop shapes we learned in the first lesson and apply them to C and D.

GickuZACBPw
  14. Replies
    Views

Double Stop Lessons

Hello folks. It's been a while since I posted on Mandolin Cafe but I thought some of you would enjoy some of the free resources that I am sharing over on YouTube and my Patreon.

First video in my...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Rough Fret Edges

Indeed they do... for a price.
    We can make our own by simply grinding safe edges on standard files (flat, triangular, other).
  16. Replies
    Views

Like John said. They make specialty files for this purpose. Stew Mac sells them, others too probably. Said files have a safe face without teeth that rides on the fretboard without scarring it while...
  17. Replies
    Views

Or fret sprout from being under humidified in a previous life (seems unlikely if it's originally from Florida, but it's possible).
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Help for stage fright & essential tremor

My performance anxiety is very much affected by how I visualize the outcome. How I manipulate my expectations.

If instead of being afraid of screwing up, I envision people liking what I have done,...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: The After life of trees

Viva fui insylvis, sum dura occisa securi, Dum vixi tacui, mortua dulce cano. (I was alive in the wood. I was killed by the cruel axe; living I was silent, dead I sing sweetly.)
    Baccio Bandinelli c....
  20. Replies
    Views

Clefs are like subnets

Not having much formal musical training, but quite a bit of IPv4 training, I was always scared to death of reading anything but G clef.
    While trying to study Bach Cello Sonata #3 in C, I first...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Improv From Scratch

The latest video in this series is Monroe Style Phrases

https://youtu.be/4AfDWMT5Wyc?si=sDQ9ypEEfe-MX5VA

PDF file
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: 90% of us can’t do this.

Yes I can and do smile when playing and singing any number of instruments/genres. But I started playing and performing music almost 50 years ago and have had several conductors, band leaders, etc....
  23. Replies
    Views

TSA mandolin incident

Was flying today and had one of my mandos with me, an f-style, in a soft case.

After it went through the X-ray machine, the TSA agent operating the X-ray said "Sir, what kind of guitar is this?"
  24. Re: Tiny adult wants to learn bluegrass!

I spend 95% of my chording/accompaniment time playing double stops on the G and D strings exclusively. For example, a 75XX G chop chord, 52XX C chop, and 74XX D chop. I leave out the higher strings...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Sad news

So sad to hear this news. Jesse was one of my heroes, a friend and mentor. Another giant of the mandolin has left us. Rest in peace, Jesse.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4