Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Ring vs Pinky, again?

I started a thread a while ago, questioning the "one finger-two frets" rule, finding it a bit rigid and confusing. I was told that it comes from the violin so I consulted two violinists, one...
  2. Replies
    Views

I don't see the problem,,,if your doing chromatics,that's one thing, were you do some sliding around,but open strings is only 2 or 3 notes a string,so put your fingers were they work,,if your doing...
  3. Replies
    Views

David - As a self taught banjo & mandolin player,i'm 100% sure that much of my left & right hand 'playing' is pretty unorthodox. Back when i began playing banjo in 1963,there were NO instruction...
  4. Replies
    Views

There’s another reason for a person to change - in order to solve a technical problem they have. And another good reason would be to attempt to master numerous techniques. At any rate, while it is...
  5. Replies
    Views

Certainly non-standard fingering patterns can work. you can get used to anything and it'll feel "right," so arguing against what you prefer to do more often than not falls into philosophy -- or ego...
  6. Replies
    Views

I played that way for a while. Too long. It felt easier at the time. It eventually becomes a bad habit that needs breaking. I found myself stumbling over phrases where I did that as I begin to play...
  7. Replies
    Views

The main reason is efficiency and speed, but for the sake of argument, let's assume that you can use your current fingering and reach full Irish dance tempos. So it's not holding you back,...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Help Identifying Gibson Mandolin Banjo

Pictures would help in ID-ing the model. I think that Gibson made Style 1 and Style 5 in trap-door resonator banjos labeled "Mastertone," but there may have been others. Siminoff has a page on...
  9. Replies
    Views

If it is a mandolin banjo, the neck will most likely be too short to tune down for the Irish tuning. I have the same banjo with the tenor neck, I put a 5 string neck on it. you could change the neck...
  10. Replies
    Views

And by the way, the 11989-19 (or 11969-19) is most likely a FON (factory order number) and it would indicate that the instrument was probably made in 1923.
  11. Replies
    Views

Well hmm. After reflection, I have to say I don't have much to offer. I think there is a pretty good string related reason why tenor banjos have long necks. But your investigation will probably be...