Search:

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Church Praise Band Question

This thread reminds me of something I’d not thought of in many years. My wife and I got married very young and I started attending her church. I was 20 and had been playing (owning, really) guitar...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Demonstrating a mandolin

I know what you mean. Most any demo will be someone blazing away at the same old fiddle tunes or Bluegrass licks. I hardly watch demos anymore because of this.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: listing of rock songs w/mando

Great song. Sexton is Dylan and Costello's lead player. A true master of the guitar. That song Sunday Clothes is from circa 1995 on his brilliant solo record Under The Wishing Tree.

"We were...
  4. Run by Collective Soul - with Mandolin, Fiddle, etc.

https://youtu.be/chezY6UAMH8?feature=shared

^^^ CS is one of my all-time favorite bands. This cover is insanely well-done! Thought some here might enjoy.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Church Praise Band Question

I’ve sat in with a worship team a few times on mandolin. I will echo the sentiment that the music director/leader possibly lacks imagination here.

I don’t chop or play bluegrass or even play...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Quilted Maple Sky

And you shall!
  7. Replies
    Views

Quilted Maple Sky

Yesterday evening the sky over my house looked just like the quilted maple on the back of a mandolin. Snapped a quick pic and wanted to share.
    :grin:
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: playing late and drinking

That's what I call a "Bible Buzz," particularly when it comes to wine as it "gladdens the heart," etc. (Ps 104:15), and yes, the trick is to get there and stay. But there is a mighty steep drop off...
  9. Re: D'Addario Micro Headstock vs Micro Clip Free tuners

I use the little D'Addario microtuners, keep them flipped around backwards, and leave them on while I play. The little bit covering a part of the logo doesn't bother me all that much. But I can't...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Want to take up the cello

Old thread, but here goes anyway...

I bought my wife a cello not long ago. She plays (owns) a violin and a mandolin (both bought via the Cafe), but is actually a great pianist and singer. She's...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Budget Mandolin? Advice.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to not buy a cheap mandolin. I went down that road and ended up spending a lot more money in the long run (buying, selling, setups, upgrading parts to try and get...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Pretty crazy how this deal started with one lone Wegan in 2015, and now there are so many picks it's overwhelming the participants. What a wild ride!
  13. Re: Has anyone tune their mandolin a half step down?

Old thread and the OP hasn't been here since 2010, but I'll contribute.

I have kept my mandolin tuned down a half step quite a bit, and I've also messed around with putting it in 432Hz down...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

That's funny! I can still recite many rap songs from my youth word-for-word, even after not hearing them for 30 years. But many of them need never be repeated...
    :grin:
  15. Re: Should I visit Eastman factory and buy a mando in China?

A tour of the Eastman shop would be awesome. I would totally do that if I were in the area.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD... hopefully today!

That's a beautiful mandolin! My last name is Morris and I really should've got one of those Morris mandolins.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

Bill Monroe pictured with a Suicidal Tendencies bumper sticker is pretty cool.
  18. Re: Any others here that started their mandolin/instrument later

Great thread! Some truly enjoyable reading!

I started on mandolin (and found the Mandolin Cafe) when I was 32 (49 now). I started on guitar at 18 (late in some folks’ estimation) and it’s still...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Willie Nelson’s Bluegrass Album

What has Willie NOT done? A rap album? :grin:
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is bluegrass played so fast?

I don't listen to bluegrass but I really do enjoy watching people play it. The speed is the fascinating part to me. I've been playing acoustic instruments for 30 years and still have a hard time...
  21. Re: Why do some higher end mandos return to the market so quickly

Right! Ask me how I know! I went through lots of instruments before I figured out the problem was ME.
  22. Re: Why do some higher end mandos return to the market so quickly

It seems to me that lots of folks believe a better/different instrument will make them a better player. It never works.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing standing up is...

I've never learned to play well while standing, and when I stand up I notice the mandolin suddenly sounds thin and terrible. I sort of hunch over the top of my mandolin while sitting and hear its...
  24. Thread: Reverb Scams

by Caleb
    Replies
    Views

Re: Reverb Scams

I have only used Reverb a couple times and both were painless. But I do still sell stuff on CL from time to time and the scammers seem to never give up.

The whole "I need to verify that you are...
  25. Replies
    Views

Mandolins at the Dallas Guitar Show.

Always fun to spot some mandolins in the wild.
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4