Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Noob question playing in different keys

Way to go Mark! Similar story for me by the way. My 5th grade (or was that 6th grade?) music teacher told me (in front of the class) that I should sing more quietly or not at all. Devastating in...
  2. Replies
    Views

Mark, this is the coolest thing I've read in a while, you rock, Daddy-o! Long live those who teach and encourage, may those who crush dreams be blighted . . . or enlightened . . . or something,...
  3. Replies
    Views

Congrats!
    Way to go, Mark!
    :)

(Wasn't there a thumbs up icon somewhere?)
  4. Replies
    Views

Absolutely! I spent decades assiduously avoiding theory, even if I knew some scales, lots of chords, and a usable bunch of licks on guitar. Upon finally diving into "The Complete Idiot's Guide to...
  5. Replies
    Views

A very useful tool from the old jazz player's trick book is to learn the melody of a tune like "You are my Sunshine" and then play it in every key, all of them, including all the flat ones. You...
  6. Replies
    Views

But you have landed on, perhaps, the best place to start learning how music works. And the answer will stick with you. This one is much easier than it looks, even if it doesn't map into words all...
  7. Replies
    Views

Howdy Mark,
    Here's a basic Mandolin version of "You are my sunshine" in D with guitar back. It requires tefview(free), a small download available here. You can turn off either track in the top...
  8. Replies
    Views

It's great to find a quick down and dirty solution. BUT, I suggest that while you USE the quick solution, you spend some time understanding the theory behind the quick solution. As you increasingly...
  9. Replies
    Views

Take your g solo and move it one string towards the floor.

--A
  10. Replies
    Views

Yes it does change the notes. All the notes need to move up a fifth or down a fourth. In the key of G only the F note is sharped, in the key of D both F and C are sharped. You should probably get...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Fretboard Gazing?

I think there is an algorithm addressing how many pretty girls are in the room vs. how important is it really to hit the right notes.
  12. check out how young these guys were, Grisman and Marshall

amazing musicianship, really cool around 4:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZ7f2uy3ZY
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins to consider in the...

You need to search using google, and scroll down and look for mandolin cafe results. The search function here is not very functional in any forum searches I have ever tried. Maybe I am doing...
  14. Replies
    Views

Beatles--Sun King

Remembering George Martin's beautiful production of Abbey Road.

https://youtu.be/BPpZGxzJXIA

YouTube has changed some format stuff---I can't seem to get a proper thumbnail, but the video is...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Today While Mandolinin

https://youtu.be/X9aGQ6iVzhA

Check out this youngster! I like this version and play it a bit like this but with more chords. Good song.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: OP's not responding to advice

anyone who thinks responding to any of my posts is going to solve my issues clearly doesn't know me :P
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Florida: Use It Or Lose It?

I really, truly (honestly) can't understand what the big deal is. What is ugly to one person, might look great to another person. All my F5s had a Florida, but only one bothered me enough to have it...
  18. Mike Compton and David Long live download

Hey,

I found this great download yesterday! Oh man..

https://archive.org/details/MikeComptonAndDavidLong_PoorDavidsPub_21905

Maybe you didnīt hear it....

Markus
  19. Replies
    Views

St Anne never sounded this good!

Ok, hyperbole, but I really like this. Joe Walsh is one of my favorite mandolinists and Courtney Hartman is spectacular. I am seriously considering Joe's Peghead Nation course. Maybe this should...
  20. Replies
    Views

Today While Mandolinin

Hey guys,
    So on a wargame/hobby website there is a thread there to build community between the members and help with motivation. Its known affectionatly as TITHI or ''Today In The Hobby I...'', and...
  21. How to get more out of your mandolin tone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSTmPG29uwo

Hopefully this video helps somebody :-)
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: My 1st jam session

I grew up in Owosso and lived in Lansing for a number of years. There is a great weekly old time jam in East Lansing, called the Pretty Shakey String Band. They are very welcoming to newbs, like...
  23. Recycling Guitar, Mandolin, Banjo & Bass Strings

Hey all - don from D'Addario here. Today we announced the world's first Guitar String Recycling program. (Mods - if this should be moved to another topic, my apologies in advance)

The recycling...
  24. Re: Dr. Banjo (ya I know but my question is about Mandolin!)

I have not had the chance to attend a Wernick method jam camp at any festivals but attended the regular class (2hrs on one day per week for 8 weeks) 7 or 8 times over the course of the last 4 years ....
  25. Re: Dr. Banjo (ya I know but my question is about Mandolin!)

You need to be able to play songs/tunes in the keys of G, A, C, and D, then you will be able to fit in and get something out the Wernick Method Jam Classes. That DVD is a good one for beginning...
Page 1 of 2 1 2