Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Tell me of your love affair with an A style...

I have one F style (my trophy wife mando) and she's the most valuable instrument that I own. I had such anxiety about taking her anywhere that I eventually adopted her poor cousin (my beater).

I...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD : New Mandolin Day!

I got the Goldtone OM800+

Current it has unison pairs, but may do octave pairs on the and D. I like the way it sounds.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Peavey Composer Series

I originally bought it because I thought the case was going to be nice. I assumed (wrongly) that the mandolin would be of Rogue quality and playability.

The case was junk (Styrofoam wrapped in...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Boat on A River by Styx

http://www.mandolincafe.com/tab/boatontheriver.txt
  5. Replies
    Views

Wow! forgot about this thread. I actually printed the tab from that link 4 years ago. The solo was crushing my spirit back then, but now I actually play along with the song.

I haven't posted on...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman F4 copy

My 814 has a beautiful mellow tone, but her drawback is volume. She isn't nearly as loud as the rest of my herd, but she does sound pretty, and for lack of a better term, "Celtic" which is just what...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin to mandola

I can't wait to try that! New mandolin day tomorrow! Eastman MD305, something about this one spoke to me so I splurged. Neck feels really good compared to my 814. A lot like my old Kentucky flat top,...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: My first festival experience

I'm probably going to be looking not for the sound but the playability. Herschel's mandolin was like my favorite beater, only better. No matter which instrument I have had in my hands, I always...
  9. Replies
    Views

JeffD you are so right!

And Tim, we were lucky and the festival organizers made sure there were plenty of chairs and shade! Could not believe the crowds that gathered to listen to us even though...
  10. Replies
    Views

I was hugely nervous! none of us knew the same music, me even less. We just started with "chording" together (I took the three chords I knew and layed down a rhythm). I got the E/B thing after a...
  11. Replies
    Views

My first festival experience

Wow, all I can say is WOW.

I went to my first Bluegrass festival this past weekend, and I'm still on a high from it. Jamming areas were set up in only two places, but everyone was so friendly and...
  12. Replies
    Views

Box came in today (surprisingly fast shipping, thanks Lighthouse). Well packed and the travelite knock off case is only about two steps up from a gig bag, maybe three. It said peavey and i got my...
  13. Replies
    Views

I see the with case, but unknown case, and shipping was $35. Granted, it's probably been set up already as well but the "new" one from Lighthouse was $149 including shipping and what looks like a...
  14. Replies
    Views

No worries. I've been playing the tab from the forum. Pretty much got the chords down but the solo is kind of crushing my brain, don't know why. Dug my old CDs of Styx out (Missing a few, must...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Newbie awaits first mandolin

Welcome to another Eastman Player! You've got a fine one there!

If you haven't been already, go to Mandozine.com

Download the TEF reader and all the free music. I think that is one of the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: I am in love - Gibson F5-G

When I put mine on Layaway, the owner "worked" with me. Your place may let you put it on hold or layaway a bit longer if you ask for it. A purchase like that could be a great motivator to really...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Stop me, please

I had two in the past, though in defense of all FF holed mandolins, both of them were cheap (Johnson and Antonio Tsai). The Tsai was actually quite nice but too heavy and made a wonderful trade in...
  18. Replies
    Views

Stop me, please

Many of you know the drama of my recent acquisition of an Eastman 814. Took me months to pay off and I couldn't even afford to buy their cases (which, not counting a gig bag did not fit). I've...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Civil War Era mandolins.

I was (wrongly) recommended a pancake style Army/Navy style that I marched with for 5 years. Only one person mentioned anything about it. The tourists don't care otherwise.

The one...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Saga AM-10 Build Thread

easier this way. there are two pages. look at all of them!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Saga AM-10 Build Thread

International Violin. Look under white kits or instruments in the white.

Oh Bother
    http://www.internationalviolin.com/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=58
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: My new (to me) arrival!

I think I'll name her Beihbinn (pronounced bey-veen) which means fair-haired in Gaelic.

23. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone know of a site

Mandotabs.net (I think) big alphabetical listing. the cafe has a link on their tabs page. I printed off a bunch of stuff (songs named after my tax deductions err, kids). Some simple, some complex....
  24. Re: Can anyone decipher what my A string problem might be?

You didn't, by chance, leave a pick between the strings? I did once and forgot about it until I brought it out to play. Might seem stupid, but stranger things have been known to happen.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: A cautionary tale

So glad that you are still alive to tell the story.
Page 1 of 2 1 2