Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: The Loar?

by 20MartinA
    Replies
    Views

Re: The Loar?

I had this LM-590 for a while when I was first learning. It's a very nice beginner's mandolin. Easy to play and sounded pretty good. But, I eventually sold it on and got a Kentucky KM-1000B.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: More Gibson Antics

I own two pre-WWII Gibson instruments.
    With the way the current Gibson company is being run, I wouldn't bother looking at any new Gibson products.
    There are plenty of other companies and small...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Picks for arthritis

I went from the ubiquitous Fender medium picks to these Dandrea Radex 1.25mm. The larger size makes them much easier for my mildly arthritic fingers to hold onto them. I use them on mandolin and...
  4. Replies
    Views

Gus Ingo's Mandolin Album

I was not familiar with this Virginia boy.
    Here he is in 1979 with Wayne Henderson on guitar.
    He's got the licks!

5. Re: Underrated Gibsons - the A2 and A3 stepchildren

My 1924 blacktop snakehead A2Z (that's what the label says) is "The One" for me. I have a Kentucky KM-1000B I use to play with my busking group, but this A is the one I play at home and at sheltered...
  6. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

For some reason, a mandolin player in our jam hates "Red Haired Boy", so we never play it. But, my busking group does play it as a medly with "Salt Creek". And we do "Wagon Wheel", as well.
  7. Re: Is "Mr Sun Plays Duke Ellington's Nutcracker Suite" bluegrass

Saw them in Monterey last night. Who cares what you call it? Mr. Sun is 4 brilliant musicians at the top of their game channeling Duke Ellington in an original way. Just dig it! Not everything has to...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Obessed with the tenor banjo

Here's my 1921 Fairbanks-Vega series N tenor. I'm with ya!

9. Replies
    Views

Re: A Style “Holy Grail?

This one is my holy grail - 1924 A2 "Snakehead".

10. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Instruments music shop, Philly

If you've ever watched Antiques Roadshow on PBS, you've often seen Fred Oster consulting on vintage instruments. His Vintage Instruments shop is one of the best.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Blacktop Friday

The true story is lost in the mists of time, I guess. Nobody back then ever imagined there would be cults of vintage instrument afficianados ruminating on minutiae like this. They were just making...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Blacktop Friday

I just bought it from Gryphon. Below is their description. The particulars don't interest me all that much. What does interest me is how it sounds. It is the best sounding style A I have...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: 1924 Gibson Blacktop Snakehead at Gryphon

They lowered the price a little, so I bought it! My wife and I have our 30th wedding anniversary in January, which is the pearl anniversary. "The Gibson" is mother of pearl inlay so she said I should...
  14. Re: In Search of a Case for a Kentucky KM-900

I have one of these for my KM-1000B. The interior padding can be arranged for A or F style mandolins.

The gig bag that came with the mando didn't seem protective enough. Of course, as the joke...
  15. Re: Post a picture of your Blue Grass jam you attend

It's at Dennis the Menace Park in Monterey, CA. Hank Ketcham lived near here in Carmel for a time. The locomotive is a 1924 Southern Pacific #1286. It has been in the park since 1956, but is fenced...
  16. Re: Post a picture of your Blue Grass jam you attend

Here's a shot of the Wednesday local jam. The harp guy was a surprise. You never know who might show up and what they might bring.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Andrea Radex Picks

Love 'em. That's all I use now. My poor Bluechip is jealous.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky KM700 compared to KM1000

I don't think they are, either. Feast your eyes:
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky KM700 compared to KM1000

I have a 2022 blacktop version of the KM-1000 and I couldn't be more pleased with it. Ordered it from Gryphon Strings during the time when it was hard to get in there during Covid, so I had them ship...
  20. Re: What is it about the ARMY/Navy style mando that is so attract

I played a Northfield Calhoun not long ago. It's a flattop like an Army-Navy. I was very impressed with the sound. List price $995.00. It would be a great beginner mandolin and one you would keep....
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Your thoughts on noob's new friend

Totally behind the idea of a Kentucky KM-1000. I picked up this blacktop version a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier with it.

And if you're looking to upgrade your A-style to...
  22. Replies
    Views

My new favorite mando pick

D'Andrea Radex 1.25mm

I still like these, too. But, I seem to reach for the Radex more often now.

23. Replies
    Views

1924 Gibson Blacktop Snakehead at Gryphon

I took my 1929 A0 into Gryphon for a good setup and made the mistake of playing this Snakehead:

24. Replies
    Views

Re: Harwood mandolin

Thomas Hart Benton thought Harwood guitars were worthy of capturing in his art. Here's his daughter Jesse in 1957 playing a Harwood - note the distinctive, rectangular inlay at the last fret by the...
  25. Re: Elegant lady with mandolin on the river c 1900

I will. Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2