Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

I play more fiddle than mandolin these days, but I do hack around on both. Other people have given you tips for speed, which are great. And you noticed the issue by going out and playing with...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Just for fun, you can also watch this one also with James Bryan and Carl Jones, but 18 years earlier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOar4KegZiY

It is a great tune that I like to play on...
  3. Replies
    Views

I have that CD, "Starry Crown," by Rhys Jones and Christina Wheeler, and it is excellent. There is some info on the tunes, but no long essays. For Gypsy Dance, it says:
    "Gypsy Dance GDAE George...
  4. Re: How does it work when people are playing together?

I was playing Old Time with a bunch of people last weekend, in groups of 2 to 25, and was trying to pay attention to Sue's original question: How does it work? I noticed a couple of thin1gs:
    1)...
  5. Re: How does it work when people are playing together?

Like we learned in the noodling thread, the answer varies. But for Old Time, and in my experience, it just kind of works out. Most versions of tune work well together, and slightly different...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning to Play the Mandolin

Uncle Paul, a couple thoughts. It sounds like you are well along on your journey, just not happy where you are. Maybe we can step back a bit, and think about your goals.

Dependence on sheet...
  7. Thread: Moveable chords

by A 4
    Replies
    Views

Re: Moveable chords

Maybe the right takeaway message is that there are lots of different right ways to do things. I know from the discussions above, that I have a different approach, and that is all good. Journeybear...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: In Praise of Matt Flinner's Classes

OK, I will step up and grumble!

I took one of Matt's online classes, and he has music playing before the class begins. Not once was the music "Shiny Blue!"

9. Replies
    Views

Re: Michael Nesmith RIP

I missed the news when he passed, and didn't see this thread until today. I am quite fond of the "Different Drum" song, so here are a couple versions with mandolin content.

First, what the...
  10. Re: Tennis elbow in the picking arm - how to avoid it?

Thanks for this info. Several years ago I was suffering badly and the doctor didn't help. What did help was a few sessions of therapeutic massage, in my case from a guy who worked at a tennis club....
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: In Praise of Matt Flinner's Classes

Similar feedback from me. I took a chords and rhythm class this year, my first one, and have signed up for Old-time mandolin 102, because I don't sing and mandolin 101 is songs.

The class...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Old time / bluegrass in Richmond, VA?

I don't know about Richmond. For old time, the Rockbridge Mountain Music and Dance Festival is on for next weekend, if you are willing to head west. Maybe that's about 1 - 1.5 hours from Richmond,...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: dry & dusty/ old time mandolin & fiddle

One of my favorites. The source for this may be the Morrison Brothers, out of Missouri. Discussion indicates that the fiddler is playing in DDAD tuning, which I think of for Midnight on the Water,...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Key of the song based on the melody

First, I really enjoy how far afield this thread had gone. It is fascinating to read people who know way more than I do discuss how they they think about keys and harmony and tonal centers.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A2Z refret with larger frets??

I sent Gail Hester my 1924 A2Z, and she suggested a refret with bigger frets. We discussed it at the time, and decided that any loss in value due to loss of originality was worth it for easier...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Lost (and need) a Hiscox case key

I dug into this a little, and it looks like the keys for Hiscox cases are all the same, a Cheney #40 key. That matches my the key for my case, too, which for experimental reasons I locked for the...
  17. Thread: Old Time Jam

by A 4
    Replies
    Views

Re: Old Time Jam

I used the Chrome browser, and it worked for me. I was emailed a link to the pdf file.

Good luck.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Key of the song based on the melody

I'm no expert for sure, but some tunes use, say the D scale, but the key is actually the fifth of the scale, or an A in this case. So you use the notes of the D scale, but you start and end on A,...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: fret marker positions

For mandolin, the markers indicate frets where the notes are all naturals: no sharps or flats. So that is why we need markers at the 10th fret, and I suppose why there should be no marker on the...
  20. Replies
    Views

Of course, it all depends on how you play them, but a couple that come to mind: Farewell Trion, Elk River Blues, Neil Gao's Lament, and Coal Harbor Bend. Maybe some of the Bill Monroe Waltzes, like...
  21. Re: What is the name of the piece Mike Marshall is playing?

That was really great. There are a couple of other nice mandolin versions of Tennessee Waltz on youtube.

Here is Sierra Hull:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbfcfLORWiY

And here is Chris...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Runaway/Texas fiddle tune set

If you find out, can you let us know? It turns out I bought that album digitally, so no liner notes. It is a great tune, and works quite well with the Henry Reed "Texas."

You might have to...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Boil That Cabbage Down

I think I got the idea from a Mark O'Connor fiddle book, but it is the tune I always use the first time I show someone how to pick up a mandolin. It's great because all the notes are on the a...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Any idea where I can find more music like this?

Only three videos per post, limit, so here is some more:

For some mandolin content, maybe the Blue Sky Boys:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH2zM30w2dY
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Any idea where I can find more music like this?

That's a nice song. The rhythm strikes me as a little, I don't know, frantic? But I like it a lot. Reminds me of Woody Guthrie, if you substitute harmonica for fiddle:...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3