Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips for Learning - Beginners

You say the scales are helping you, but my suggestion is to just drop them and spend the time on learning tunes. If you do stick with the scales, start to practice them in different patterns. Running...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Prairie Home Streaming Now

Brittanny Haas and Chris's playing Dizzy Gillespie's Salt Peanuts was beyond awesome.

Chris's answer on their Who is the Biggest Geek gameshow skit when asked what qualified him as a geek, "I have...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile's First Prairie Home Companion

A FANTASTIC first show with such promise for the future. The new infusion of musical chops brought to the show by CT and the 'house band' change everything about the focus of the show. The sheer...
  4. Re: Mr. Sun - See them if they come to your town

You can get a free listen to their stuff here:
    http://www.thebluegrasssituation.com/read/listen-mr-sun-people-need-light
    I'm really liking it. Darol always finds such fantastic musicians to play...
  5. Re: Mr. Sun - See them if they come to your town

I watched the show via Concert Window at Abbie Weisenbloom's and they killed it! (Abbie's is the next best thing to being there, btw...) Absolutely, re: Joe Walsh. Nice way with a vocal too. And that...
  6. Mr. Sun - See them if they come to your town

Holy cow, went to a house concert to see Mr. Sun last night. They were amazing. Every player was a virtuoso. I love Joe K. Walsch's style. He has all the chops, but doesn't overplay. Reminds me of...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Does style "bias" go in both directions?

You will certainly run into those who think the F is the "proper" style for bluegrass BC that's what Bill played.

Me, I say whatever makes YOU happy and want to make music is the style for YOU. ...
  8. Re: Video: Joe Walsh and Courtney Hartman do Bluegrass Stomp

I'm listening to J. Walsh more than pretty much anybody lately. Love his style, LOVE that Gil, and he just seems to play a groove better than anybody else on mando these days. Thanks for posting that.
  9. Video: Joe Walsh and Courtney Hartman do Bluegrass Stomp

Discovered this while surfing last night. Their duo is one of my favorite acts going these days. Seems the entire show is now posted.

G5ZrdDh6IwI
  10. Re: Mandolin more difficult than guitar - cosmic truth!

So subjectively excellent, and so expressive of the valuable realization that our own subjective experience of the cosmic truth is, in fact, the only true reality. As we are gathered here in this...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: The Joe K. Walsh Interview

I was most fortunate to have Joe as an instructor at the Ossipee Valley String Camp last summer....GRRRRREAT teacher and what a pleasure to sit with him in class and then hear him perform at night.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: The Joe K. Walsh Interview

Thanks for a great interview. I've had the pleasure of attending Mr. Sun shows, 3 years running as the band has evolved. Joe can sometimes be found gigging in a Southern Maine pizza pub with some...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: bluegrass/old time murder ballads

Cold Rain And Snow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p0AryAE6Bw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p0AryAE6Bw
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Improvisation on the mandolin

SMSimon -- as much as chord theory knowledge and scale knowledge can help, they are a lot like learning a lot of vocabulary. Knowing a lot of words don't make a person into a good author or poet. ...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Improvisation on the mandolin

I'd suggest checking out sites like jazzmando.com and Pete Martin's site petimarpress.com for starters. They have good foundations for this kind of stuff.

Improvising can be tough. I don't know...
  16. Re: The Eight Laws of Guitar (& Mandolin) Etiquette

#6 isa particular pet peeve of mine. I have a recital this afternoon and I bet once people's kids are thru playing they will up and leave. So rude. We sat thru your child playing, you should sit...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mr. Sun-The People Need Light

Joe Walsh has become one of my favorite mandolin players, very tasteful and always seems to play the right thing(s) to keep the groove going.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Can you play a real song?! Ugh!

I'm saddened to hear your mom passed. I know that was hard on you, and was for a long time. But now she's at peace, and soon you will be, too. She will always be in your heart, and her spirit will...
  19. Replies
    Views

Mr. Sun-The People Need Light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nxro3wJRAo

I searched and didn't see where this has been shared yet. I've been obsessed with this performance for the past month and a half. For those of you...
  20. VIDEO: Joe Walsh, Grant Gordy & Ian Hutchison - Russian Lullaby

Here's a clip of Joe Walsh (mandolin, vocals,) Grant Gordy (guitar) & Ian Hutchison (bass) performing Irving Berlin's "Russian Lullaby" (via David Grisman & Jerry Garcia) live in our studios. Enjoy!...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Why I Don't Listen To Country Music.

Okay, any mention of Carolina Chocolate Drops erases any negative vibe that may have been running through the thread. Damn, they are superb and can play ANYTHING.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Who's The Oldest?

Well I'm just now opening up.

Vintage, but in good condition: Naturally distressed. That is, usual light play ware in the finish on the top, and some mild buckle rash. Plays straight with only...
  23. Replies
    Views

This is kind of fun. 65 last October. Once I got my Medicare card I knew I couldn't pretend anymore. Just getting started.
  24. Replies
    Views

Let's just say I was in attendance at Woodstock and leave it at that.
  25. Replies
    Views

I'm hanging on to Unclegrumpy's shirttail as I will hit 65 later this month. But I still have my rule: middle age starts at five years older than I am, and old age starts at five years older than...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3