Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: How about a thread on tips and tricks?

How much time do you have? :D

My main amp at the moment is an Ampeg Jet II that I bought new at some point between 2004 and 2008. I recently had it cleaned up, and it sounds great, though I...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Why do you play electric?

What does Fripp call his tuning? Is it "New Standard"?
    Basically its 5ths like a mandolin. So a LOT of King Crimson will slide right up an octave to mandolin easily enough. It's fun to think...
  3. Replies
    Views

Surfy! I have a friend in California who is in a surf band. I always thought I should ask to join. But then I lef tthe country. ;)
    Daniel
  4. Replies
    Views

I'm really digging this! :)
    Daniel
  5. Replies
    Views

Why do you play electric?

I have been home all weekend on the holiday weekend here in France recovering from Bronchitis. Wife and kids have been visting family and going on outings. Yesterday, to stave off the boredom of...
  6. Re: Paul Glasse on video w/Western Swing band 2023

I'm in Aisne, probably 7 or 8 hours by car. Well, at least we're in the same timezone. ;)

Thanks Brad.

Daniel
  7. Replies
    Views

Change your strings!

No, really. Change your strings. I'll wait. ;)

Done? Great!

I have been gigging with (small to very small) amps for my 5 strings lately, and decided my Ampeg Jet II reissue needed a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Amplifier for electric mandolin

Visiting the US for 6 weeks, I decided to rent an amp locally. (I wanted to bring a solidbody emando for durability.) The guy in the shop said $20 a week for a 40w Laney, which was to much amp. So...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Amplifier for electric mandolin

What type of pickup do you have? Is it one designed to reproduce an acoustic(ish) sound or is it a magnetic pikcup, like the ones in elelctric guitars?
    The answer makes a difference to the type of...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD: Eastwood S Mandola

I know how you feel about the pickup on the Eastman vs the pickups on the Eastwood S. I have an Arrow G5 that cost more than 5 times my JBovier FMC 5. Between the hollow body and the single Kent...
  11. Replies
    Views

Cool interview with Avi Avital

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrzaBe30yZQ
    Enjoy!
    Daniel
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Do I need a mandola?

You don't need a mandola. What you need is a 5 string mandolin, electric or not.
    Mandola on the bottom four, mandolin on the top four.

:grin:
    Daniel
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Stereo. Oh dear...

Ed, That's an excellent point. I'll curb my gear lust for a bit and enjoy the sound as it is.

Jim, I think I'm out of danger with phase inversion. The amps are set rather loud, too loud for the...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

An audience member took this video at a recent house concert. It's not the best angle for mandolin watchers, but the sound is very good. Listen with headphones.
    I wrote the song in English when my...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: 5-string mandolin for beginner?

I had the same experience as Verne. I decided to think of the 5 string as a short scale mandola with an option in the top. Now it's all second nature.

:)
    Daniel
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: EQ Pedal for Live Shows?

I agree with Nathan 100%. I use the GE-7 constantly at every gig and every rehearsal. I use a gentle smile curve, cut the mids bosst the highs and lows. I leave the level slider on 0, but you can...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: solid mando practice setup?

Most Marshall MG amps have both headphone outputs and stereo inputs.
    The Vox Amplugs have an input jack as well. I usually use that one to "watch TV" on the computer while I noodle away late at...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Continuing my electric education

JHS Pedals execellent video on EQ pedals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foK6OfdEve0
    Rhett Shull's overview:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNjPvAoRtq0
    Tim Wampler discusses a few possibilities:...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Continuing my electric education

I have used a Mooer with a Line6 POD 2.0 with no problem.
    The POD can only do one on-board effect at a time as far as I am aware, so having some octave with, for example, tremolo is not a bad thing....
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Retirement....Time to take it easy!

Take care of yourself Pete.

We will miss your work, but staying healthy is more important!

Daniel
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to go from here?

Hi Bill,

Where to go from here really depends on what you want to do with the EM8.

My advice is to get a Line6 POD 2.0 off ebay or Reverb. They're cheap and they will allow you play with a lot...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Today's favorite stomp box...

You were lucky! I've had to go at this piece by piece learning on my own as I went, just trying to get good tone with what I had.
    When I was younger, I had a '65 Fender Bandmaster head and a 67...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Arthur Stern

I visited Arthur's home once more than a decade ago, when I was living in the Bay Area. He was hosting a mandolin get together.

I got to see his stained glass artwork at his studio. Amazing...
  24. Replies
    Views

Today's favorite stomp box...

I don't know how long I've had a DOD FX-10 Bi-FET Preamp, It certainly sat around in cupboards and boxes for a couple decades. But today it is my favorite stomp box.

I have recently purchased a...
  25. Re: the Lloyd Loar F5s: in the 1920s and today

Musical instruments, outside of furniture sized pieces - and with a few exceptions, were generally considered objects that would wear out and get replaced. Guitars, mandolins, and banjos especially...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4