Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

I wasn't intending to make a video to post here, however I made a video for my Facebook friends for St. Paddy's Day. It turned out well so I put it on Youtube, and so maybe I should post it here...
  2. Replies
    Views

A customer playing a baroque mandolin I built

wc88GAcDsrY

I wasn't sure where to put this since it's not technically a video of me. It's also both lutherie/builder content and a video. Hopefully this is OK.

Here's some pictures of the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Metsäkukkia - Finnish waltz

This is a popular Finnish waltz composed in 1931 by Viljo Vesterinen.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass blues instrumentals?

No discussion of bluegrass blues can be complete without mention of Deford Bailey & Bill Monroe's Evening Prayer Blues.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uzwL1XXSQM
  5. Re: Pick selection time: And the survey says……

Ok friends, drum roll please…..
    -I agree that #2 is the overall best sounding pick. 1 gives a darker tone and plays nicely as far as sliding off the the strings. It also darkens the tone on...
  6. Pick selection time: And the survey says……

Thanks to a generous offer from a fellow MC member I got to try a nicer pick out before deciding whether to splurge. I’d like you weigh in on my audio test because you can hear what, perhaps I...
  7. Thread: Upgrade Fever

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrade Fever

I don't believe in "next" level instruments. I don't believe in the hierarchy. Every mandolin (with the possible exception the first one) should be the very best you can possibly afford, with the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Volte written by Michael Praetorius

This lovely piece of music from the 17th century, written by Michael Praetorius. Please enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aUZMx6JAXk
  9. Re: The Change That I See in Bluegrass Over The Past 20 Years.

Getting a bit off topic possibility but in response to the post above, the podcast Fresh Air recently had a superb show dedicated to what would have been Doc Watson's 100th birthday. List to it here.
  10. Re: Bought my First Mondolin Today - Would like some feedback.

Seatown7, please forgive my forwardness here, but as a “beginner” it is important for you to realize a couple of things. Firstly, there are no “beginner mandolins”. There are beginner players, but if...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Can I tell the weather with my instruments?

There are a few things you can plan on:

Metal strings and metal parts contract when it is cold and expand when it is hot.

Wood expands when it is humid and contracts when it is dry.

Most...
  12. Re: BG jam: folks get annoyed if you're not playing standard lick

Two things that will not be well accepted.

1. Playing leads through other people's breaks or vocals. I used to go to a jam where one guitarist would noodle through everyone else's solos then say...
  13. Re: BG jam: folks get annoyed if you're not playing standard lick

Most beginner - intermediate jams people are more concerned with figuring out what they are going to do next to be worried about what others are playing. As long as your timing is good and you aren’t...
  14. ChatGPT not replacing the Cafe any time soon

So I asked ChatGPT:

"What is the difference between an A style and an F style mandolin?"

Its answer?

"An A-style and an F-style mandolin are two different types of mandolins that differ in...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Hans Süper junior

Thanks, I'm now halfway through the documentation. (Sorry to all of you not speaking German).

I also had a quick look at the mandolins Süper was playing over the years.
    In the video above he is...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Hans Süper junior

This is very sad news. I was born and grew up in Cologne, and speak the local language, Kölsch (not coincidentally also the name of the local beer). Hans Süper and the Colonia Duett were part of my...
  17. Replies
    Views

RIP Hans Süper junior

Hans Süper junior (1936-2022) was a comedian and mandolin player from Cologne, Germany.
    He passed away from cancer on December 3rd.

Though having a strong Cologne dialect he was known across...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Folk songs from Brno

for Mandolin

songs: Zabil jest Matosek 00:00; Ten prscicke zamek 00:18; Synecku, synecku 00:39; Sil bech k vam 00:58; Sama sem nerada 01:28; Pred te nase dolinecka 01:45; Na osice 02:20; Ma...
  19. Re: Why are some songs not written in the key they are in?

I knew this guy, Sheamus O'Rork, who was studying composition at Cornish College of the Arts and directed our mandolin orchestra for a short time. Sheamus said his teachers told him that contemporary...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Workshop feeback

I’ve only been to one weekend of music workshops, but I definitely came away with some distinct impressions on all of these topics:

+ What are things you hate about live workshops? Do you think...
  21. Old Home Place - Song breakdown and sheet music

Hey all

I figured I'd stick with the jam classics for the song breakdown this week so I focused on Old Home Place. One of the first bluegrass tunes I learned (thanks to Dan Sankey) and still a...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying directly from a luthier

Sounds like this instrument is already built and OP has played it, which takes away some of the need to document what specs you are asking for in the build.

I think asking about warranty/repairs...
  23. Replies
    Views

This is good advice to think about before purchasing. I recently bought a boutique mandolin and I got it used for over 1/2 off of what this builder was charging for new ones. I'd go in with the...
  24. Replies
    Views

+1 on the warranty details in writing. Specifically what issues are grounds for free repair or return / refund and what's the timeline. Last time two mandolins I bought from a small shop were both...
  25. Replies
    Views

Besides what's already been suggested I'd talk to him about the set-up on your new instrument. Like if you know you like the action a certain way and a certain set of strings ask him to get it set...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3