Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

The need for speed

I've decided to put some serious effort into increasing speed...

At the moment I can play reels (Irish) including ornaments (triplets) around 90bpm, but the ornaments disappear over 100bpm, and...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Question for UK Members re. BREXIT

I've bought stuff from Thomann (Germany) quite often, it arrives promptly as if it had been posted from the UK and with no extra charges.

I once bought something from Switzerland (not in the EU),...
  3. Re: Best Celtic Mandolin around ~£500($700)?

Hathway mando can indeed be used for jigs and reels, check out Three Dollar Shoe on youtube e.g.

https://youtu.be/wATgt1L2rUQ
  4. Re: If you lost your BlueChip pick at the Denver festival this we

OK I'll try for a Jazz LG35 with nothing on the back?

I wasn't actually in Denver but when you lose a pick who knows where it will end up!
  5. Re: Ever tried one of these "Pick Punch" for making picks?

Now if someone could invent a tool that made credit cards out of old picks, I'd buy two of those :)
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Pub Prop

I see these mostly for leaning a guitar or bouzouki on rather than suspending mandos or fiddles. The situation is a pub so a short term thing - you prop it up while playing a second instrument, or...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue chip model codes?

The coding is not very consistent but here are some guesses from me:

TP- Triangular Pick
    TP-1R - Triangular Pick with 1 rounded corner
    TPR - Triangular Pick with all three Rounded corners
    STP -...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chip Uk

I bought 3 direct from BlueChip, it attracted £16.87 VAT and an £8 "Royal Mail International Handling Fee". So the total price per pick worked out about £36. JP Guitars looks reasonable on that basis...
  9. Re: String And Pick Gauges For Irish/Scottish Trad

I'm liking the pointy tip and compact shape of the BlueChip Jazz picks at the moment, I seem to hit more triplets than with rounder tips. As for strings I'm using D'Addario EJ74 on an old Gibson A3...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin-Banjo Project

It would be fairly quick to try gluing so there's nothing to lose by trying. An old-style ferrule (http://store.rickardbanjos.com/ferrule-dowel-stick-vega-style-plated/) will give it some protection...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Do you get hot when you play?

I often sweat when I play, but no one has ever told me I look hot.

Doesn't stop me playing though...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Ebay: Copy of a Lloyd Lane!

Sorry to lower the tone with pedantry, but I think someone used the word "inveterate" earlier, when they meant "invertebrate".

Also for anyone who enjoys seeing threads running for many pages,...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Big Stubby Picks - Anyone Want Mine?

I have a big purple one already and don't need any more but would echo one of the previous posters compliments on your generosity.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: My latest build, resonator octave

Nice! Any chance of a recording?
  15. Re: Tuner button replacement on old mandolin banjo

Well it took a while to finish the project and even longer to collate the various photos taken during the restoration, but if anyone is interested you can see the results on some blog posts over at...
  16. Re: So I bought a Blue Chip pick-my impressions

I have done a little more research, I still haven't actually tried a Blue Chip pick but feel that I need to at least partially retract my earlier statement that Blue Chip picks are "poor value for...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Practice Census

1. What skills are you trying to develop in your own playing? Where do you think you most need to improve?

Trebles and triplets in ITM. Been incorporating some exercises from Enda Scahill's tenor...
  18. Re: Help: upper back tightness affecting my deltoids, trapezius,

I get upper back pain, very "angry traps". I hear lots of people recommend Alexander Technique though I've not tried it yet. I get a massage from the local Chinese doctor about twice a month, and use...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: GDAE Baritone Ukulele

I have a couple of shortscale nylon-strung tenor banjos which are in this ballpark.

First a old 20" scale which is strung
    E .024"
    A .032"
    D .028"W
    G .040"W

This one has a calfskin vellum...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Celtic/Irish Music 101

>Bluegrass where everyone gets to solo at some point, which seems more democratic to me.

Not sure about that. I'd say bluegrass is a sort of elective dictatorship, whereas ITM is a form of...
  21. Replies
    Views

East Village Mandolin Notes

Somewhat inspired by a few recent threads (Pete Jenner's holiday, Scott's busker and Retrofret's inaugural posts), here's a few notes from my own diary...

I spent a week visiting family in New...
  22. Re: New Josh Humphrey five-course, multiscaled port orford over k

Great thread thanks for posting the build photos. I can only admire you for choosing a 5-course slot-head, can't wait to see the finished item!
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Ethics in Mandolin Trading Questions

From that column "It’s unethical for a seller to knowingly take advantage of someone’s practical desperation in a crisis (say, selling D batteries for $75 a pack during a citywide blackout)" ... if...
  24. Re: Looking for an OM, what are my options, can you help?

On your list, Buchanan is a UK builder so it's unlikely you'll find one in a US shop. My own longlist of UK builders when I was looking for an OM a few years ago also included Fylde, Sobell, Forster,...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Addario Introduces NS Micro Tuner

This one doesn't even have an ON/OFF switch :grin:

http://lyramusic.com/assets/images/tuning-fork.jpg
Page 1 of 2 1 2