Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Curious about the Bluegrass mandolin market segment

Sounds mighty good here. But not bluegrass (and not claiming to be, because why should it?)).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZBgY9fplCU
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: What to do? Modify or replace.

That could definitely be a contributing factor. It's not insufficient contact, it's frets which are sticking above the plane of the adjacent frets, creating at worst a sitar-like buzzing, or at best...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: To Pinkie or Not Pinkie is my Question

I don't see how eliminating 25% of your resources puts you at an advantage. I use my little finger all the time but I went out of my way to develop it too.
  4. Re: Curious about the Bluegrass mandolin market segment

There was a thread not long ago about what cafe members go to festivals for, the bands or the parking campground picking. Overwhelmingly, it was the campground picking. I see this in younger players,...
  5. Re: Curious about the Bluegrass mandolin market segment

I wonder about this question, and have tentatively come to some semi-conclusions.

I would think that bluegrass, in the US, is the largest single genre of mandolin playing. That said, I doubt if...
  6. Replies
    Views

Appreciation for the Cafe

Several times the past couple of weeks I have gotten about half way through the news and decided that was enough. Maybe more than enough. That is when I check out the Cafe. Just wanted to say thanks...
  7. Re: Ave Maria (Gounod/Bach), with free karaoke piano backing trac

Recordings using a pre-recorded piano accompaniment, such as the Ave Maria, are technically much easier than my usual ones where I record all the instruments myself. I'm using a Zoom H2n recorder in...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: You don't know a fiddle tune until...

Good grief I was playing for fun and to jam a few times with friends. If I have to play it forwards, backwards, up down, down up. I guess I'll just throw the mando in the fire place and take up...
  9. Replies
    Views

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

Well in the spirit of DCav's call to post more videos, here my version of the classic holiday song. I'm happy with the arrangement I came up with, less so with the execution. Someday I'll be able to...
  10. Re: What song, Album, Musician changed your perspective on music?

This is a great thread.

My answer is different. The event that changed my whole perspective on music was not a song or an album or a musician - it was when I first picked up a musical instrument...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Play Every Note?

When songs are played (too) fast , they lose musicality, when songs are played stupidly fast , they have no musicality at all, songs often have the cadence of speech , when speech is stupidly fast ,...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Question For Robert At FolkMusicians

Because that's the purpose of a forum, and others may benefit from the answer.

Time to move on and let Robert answer if he wishes, but we are not going to turn this into a referendum on what...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: You don't know a fiddle tune until...

I can play it outside my house without totally choking and bursting into tears.:grin:
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: A few easy Django tunes?

Wanted to make sure you got an answer to this. On a Friday night things tend to move down the queue quicker.

Sort of depends upon what Django era but I have a good idea for starters. I personally...
  15. Replies
    Views

Ray's Rootworks mandolin

Something I just discovered on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anMEp2hIt6g

Very nice sound, and a unique look.

NFI, just thought it was kind of cool.
  16. Replies
    Views

Honeysuckle Rose

Without wanting to clog up the forum too much with my own videos, I thought some folks might be interested in this one of Fats Waller's "Honeysuckle Rose". I chose it because it (I hope) demonstrates...
  17. Autumn Leaves - video and music, chords and tablature

Forum member Fox asked if I could provide tablature for my version of Autumn Leaves on YouTube. I put together some pages of music for it last night - one chorus "straight", and a second chorus with...
  18. Replies
    Views

Will Fly -Hector the Hero

Get your hankies out, tab is probably on Will's site.

https://youtu.be/ZcnMrBuaDdg
  19. Re: Kentucky KM-1000 v. The Loar LM-700-VS (and/or LM-600-VS)

I have owned both of these mandolins-- the LM600 (the traditional tone bars edition) and the KM1000. The KM1000 fit and finish is incredible and the sound is big and clear, though a bit bright for...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: When can one rename a tune?

I changed the name of every single fiddle tune on this project, and no one seemed to give a wit...
    Not even Byron for re-naming "Gold Rush"... ;)
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin + fiddle = ???

If it didn't sound at all like the examples posted above, then they might have been using chorus and/or delay to smear out the combined signal so it sounded like one instrument. Either that, or the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Not exactly a session, but the role model for many. Note the unsion union of pipes, flute and fiddle, and it takes attention to tell them apart. Lots of ITM legends all crammed into one video, such...
  23. Replies
    Views

Yes, at just about every Irish session I have ever been to.

Heavenly.
  24. Replies
    Views

Reminds me of two steeet marimba players I heard in the Yucatan. (Tulum, Quintana Roo.) They came up to our sidewalk eatery and played, each with a small marimba, in tight unison. One's marimba was...
  25. Replies
    Views

I know exactly what you mean. I love the sound of a mandolin and fiddle playing in unison. It sounds like a fiddle with a punchy tone.

Foghorn String Band does this a lot. Look on YouTube for...
Page 1 of 2 1 2