Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

CMSA Kansas City 2023: Registration Now Open

Registration for the Classical Mandolin Society of America’s (CMSA) annual convention is now open. The dates for this year’s convention are Wednesday, November 8, 2023, through Sunday, November 12,...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Can I get more JazzMando picks?

My signature picks were simply the standard 346 D’Andrea Proplec with a gold ink logo stamped on the other side. I think I sold through several dozen gross over about 8 years. I don’t know why the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko Passes

Peter could play anything on the mandolin(also fiddle and guitar)and play it at master level. He did an awful lot to showcase and popularize the mandolin, his versatility and virtuosity showing us...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko Passes

Godspeed, Peter. That was a lot of great music you made and left for us. Thank you.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Philphool, Phil Goodson, passes :(

I am always so sorry to hear this kind of news, and over 20 some years of running Forums I've seen my share. He changed his user name recently to Phil Goodson, and his last activity here was only a...
  6. The Long Lost Mandolin Cafe Time Wasters Page

Went looking for this and it hadn't been linked from anywhere in years. Well, what better time to resurrect? Some of you may visit this page. You may regret it. You've been warned.

Mandolin Cafe...
  7. Replies
    Views

New Beethoven project coming soon

A "teaser video" we picked up this morning (note FB videos, click the image to start the video). The notes along with the video state:

In 1796, the young Beethoven went to Prague for the first...
  8. Replies
    Views

The Drunken Sailor for four mandolins

So here's my arrangement of this tune for four mandolins, all played by me. Ideally, it would be a piccolo mando, a mandolin, a dola and an octave, or better yet, a bouzouki, but alas, I only have...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: More 'Cello Power at 2019 CMSA!

Fabio inspired us to play "musically" rather than struggle to get all the notes (which a few of us could not) in rapid 16th runs. He provided carefully worked reduced parts for those of us who found...
  10. Replies
    Views

Most Mandocellos at CMSA

Most mandocellos EVER?? Well, there were 25 of us in a 140 piece orchestra!
    The Solo Mandocello Worlshop was a success thanks to the contributing composers: August Watters who has published (online)...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: CMSA Newbie: Advice Needed!

A popular "jamming" activity at CMSA is sight reading sessions, so bringing your mandolin orchestra arrangements is a great idea. CMSA has a number of tunes they usually bring out, too.
  12. Replies
    Views

I think you'll have a great time! I usually seem to make it about every other year. I have made friends there; played at Open Mike; and love the orchestra.
    working with Jim Bates, the conductor,...
  13. Replies
    Views

Phil, this will be my 21st CMSA convention. My first was in 1990 when our Louisville Mandolin Orchestra was the host. I can say that over the years the friendly atmosphere has been remarkably...
  14. Replies
    Views

Thanks for the plug Phil; Yes, John will be at the MC session--I hope he will be playing his new suite for mandocello, he's probably a better player than me. Victor will not be there, but I am...
  15. Replies
    Views

Phil: as a longtime CMSA participant, I second the advice of preparing the En Masse music in advance as best you can, going to sectionals and rehearsals, and attending workshops. FYI, I will be...
  16. Replies
    Views

Phil,
    I’ve attended 4 CMSAs, I enjoy my time there. Prepare your music the best you can ahead of time & attend the rehearsals & sectionals. Be ready to make lots of notes.
    As far as Mandolin orch...
  17. Replies
    Views

It's Mandocello time at CMSA

This year the CMSA Convention "MandoLincoln" in Normal Illinois will include some special experiences for those of us in the bass clef department (we'll even let you in if you transpose from...
  18. Mandolin Mondays #191 w/ Special Guest Carlo Aonzo

Italy's mandolin ambassador Carlo Aonzo is with us this week for a very special Mandolin Mondays. Hear Carlo cut straight to the heart with his 1994...

Read this blog entry...

This entry posted...
  19. Replies
    Views

PBS documentary on the history of Bluegrass

In case it's not already on folks' radar. Ken Burns documentary. Looks like it will be fun: ...
  20. Re: Kaufman Kamp 2019--Who's Going? Need Advice?

This was a great camp! I thought Kaufman's mandolin instructors were outstanding this year. I've been working on the chord substitution patterns from Tim Connell, as well as drilling closest chord...
  21. New Piece for Octave Mandolin or Mandocello

I just added this note as a reply to the Original Music for Solo Mandocello thread but then I realized that some Octave Mandolin players might not read that thread and they might be interested in...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: JazzMando website to sunset soon

Ted,

Thank you again and again for all you've done for the mandolin, at JazzMando.com, here at the Cafe, in Getting Into Jazz Mandolin, FFcP, instrument,pick,and string design, support of...
  23. Replies
    Views

JazzMando website to sunset soon

With very much mixed emotions, I’m announcing the JazzMando website will be shutting down permanently in the next few weeks. It’s been a good run, nearly two decades, but the cost of upgrading its...
  24. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Gig Costume

One more reason that I do not aspire to become a professional mandolin artist.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: "New" Gibson Company: No More Mandolins?

Morgan Music has been a Gibson Mandolin dealer as long as we can remember. Guitar Center claims they sell new Gibsons, and maybe they do. Not sure Gibson needs more dealers than that. I'd say if some...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4