Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Alec Finn RIP

Kevin, thanks for this amazing history on one of my ITM heroes! I recently got hold of a bowlback trichoro and am doing my best to make heads or tails of it. They are definitely a challenge!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: 3-Part Chris Thile Master Class online

The itinerary that I received says the classes start at 11am and the "After Class Chat with Cocktails" starts at 12:30pm. These same times are listed for all three days.

I am in the Mountain time...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: 3-Part Chris Thile Master Class online

I was able to get a spot in the 3-day VIP package. I guess it sold out rather quickly. Surprise, surprise! ☺️ Sounds like he could offer more events like this.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Update From The Mandolin Store

I bought my first mandolin from Dennis back in 2003-04 timeframe and have had nothing but a great relationship with him since then.

Then there was a great day he decided to move TMS out here to...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Live from Here is no more

Hey! Don't I still get credit for making the call on Thile taking over PCH from Keillor!??!? :)

While this is a huge letdown, musical evolution is neural. This won't be the last we hear from...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Howdy!

This is mostly to give a look-see at my lovely Arches F4. Born in 2005, I am it's second owner. It's my main player and probably will be for some time to come.

I really, REALLY hope...
  7. Re: MC Players of Irish Traditional Music - Feedback Wanted From

This is a great project! We sent it out to all of our seisiun players, as well as those on our Comhaltas mail list.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Matsikas Zouks

LOL! Me too! That's always a bummer part when picking up a bowlback.

This recent trip to TMS I made it a point to try a few different ways to work around (pun intended!) and get comfortable with...
  9. Finally! Got My Hands on a Flatiron Zouk! (relocated)

Transferred from another location...

My "New-To-Me" Irish Bouzouki, made 30 years ago at a little shop in Bozeman, Montana. ;)

It's a Flatiron 3K Zouk circa 1988.

I tuned it to ADAD, started...
  10. Finally! Got My Hands on a Flatiron Zouk!

My "New-To-Me" Irish Bouzouki, made 30 years ago at a little shop in Bozeman, Montana. ;)

I tuned it to ADAD, started messing around with it and came up with this little minute-long riff.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Has Gibson stopped making mandolins???

Actually witnessed this very day at the Mandolin Store; 5 Gibson's: 4 new, 1 used (an amazing Fern!) with more in the back.

...and, according to Brian, there are more to come with no...
  12. Gibson Mandocello - A Beauty from the 20's

I had the opportunity to sit down with this lovely instrument today while hanging with the guys at the Mandolin Store. There were a handful of 'If I had the Means" instruments during...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile interview

Their first show at Carnegie this weekend has, among others, Bela Fleck and Edgar Myer as guest performers. I almost set up a whirlwind trip from AZ to attend. ~:>
  14. Re: Joining the Girouard club - commissioned a build!

Jill! What a creation you have there... starting with your vision and now in your hands, by way of one of the best builders out there. This is what I call a "Fantastic Journey" :-)

Congrats on...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Grisman's New Trio

The MIM show(s) were this past Saturday. It was a treat to see them.

Aside from the obvious highlights seen; Danny Barnes played a 1935 Gibson L5 Archtop (predecessor to the Super 400), no P/U,...
  16. Re: Chris Thile Begins a New Era with APM Radio

No, not at all. I thought your APHC/LFH comparison was fair and made perfect sense.

My point was more directed at other media outlets that consistently persecuted the transitional process between...
  17. Re: Chris Thile Begins a New Era with APM Radio

I couldn't agree more. There is an amazing community of artists that are sharing their talents to create what I have dubbed as "Serendipitous Virtuosity"... Big words for describing a really...
  18. Re: Chris Thile Begins a New Era with APM Radio

The Tempe Gammage show was yesterday evening and it was pure, unadulterated fun!

Thile is in his element.

Got to see Bryan Sutton live for the first time... oh my! He & Chris warmed us up...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: What if Gibson had not existed?

Balalaika Cafe, anyone? :cool:
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Cases For Mandolins

After struggling to find the right case for many of the instruments I have acquired over the years, it's always nice when the right case comes easy... Like, when a motivated luthier custom builds one...
  21. Re: Chris Thile Begins a New Era with APM Radio

Got our tickets to see them at the Grady Gammage theater (on the campus of Arizona State University) this March! Can't frikkin' wait!
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Oval Hole F

Was surprised to see this one still available... so I nabbed it! :-)

As for the oval hole thing, I find them to have more of a bell-like ringing tone ( a bit more sustain) than the ff holed...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Rubner Tuning machines.

I went ahead and installed a very basic set on my very basic Arches FTO (aka "Banjo Killer" :grin: )

They are really, really nice! I only have limited experience with high-end stuff, like...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Saw Sierra Hull Show

We saw them at the Musical Instrument Museum last week and I experienced everything everybody is saying in this thread.

One thing I am VERY glad I did before we left is I picked up Justin's EP,...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: New Lafferty Deluxe OM

Great review, Jonathan. I think you are dead on with your observations.

I live not too far from TMS and have had the opportunity to play many of the Lafferty Flat Tops Dennis has brought into the...
Page 1 of 2 1 2