Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Vegan Non-Leather Guitar/Uke/Mandolin Strap

The trees are crying!
  2. Replies
    Views

Noodling in a field...

Wanted to share this video i had the pleasure of being a part of...

We shot it on an amazing afternoon in the Hunter Valley of NSW Australia. We just jammed a bunch of songs off the cuff and this...
  3. Thread: Wrist Pain.

by belbein
    Replies
    Views

Re: Wrist Pain.

I think your head (i.e., the instrument's head) is too low. We new players tend to play with the necks nearly parallel to the floor, like these are folk guitars. But if you watch Mike Marshall or...
  4. Replies
    Views

*Disclaimer* I'm no expert but I might be able to help anyways *

For general melody playing I think you want to move your palm away from the mandolin neck, and cradle it only in the space between...
  5. Thread: Wrist Pain.

by Jim Garber
    Replies
    Views

It is difficult to diagnose the problem remotely. If possible, I would suggest a lesson or two with a good teacher who can tell you if you are doing something wrong. Do it before it gets really bad.
  6. Thread: Wrist Pain.

by Tobin
    Replies
    Views

First thing I would suggest is to evaluate how you're holding the mandolin. Go to YouTube and look for Mike Marshall's tutorial videos on this subject. Are you at a bad angle, causing your wrist to...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: My mando build! (so far)

Nice work, Samurai.
    Hey, I'm particularly impressed with the inlay. It's excellently planned and executed. Kind of reminds me of the old Folk of the Wood catalogs. Except your design is far more...
  8. Replies
    Views

That's some really nice looking maple for a Saga kit. It's coming along nicely. Please share photos of the finished mando.
  9. Replies
    Views

Really great looking job you did on that! Congratulations.

I wonder if we could see a close up photo of the inlay you did in the headstock? Fireweed is one of my all-time favorite native...
  10. Replies
    Views

Intonation: synonym for irritation, aggravation, or discombobulation
    Looks like Aaron's right, according to the norm, the "shortest" face-the one without compensation goes to the E string which is...
  11. Replies
    Views

If you look at the bridge compensation, it is close but not quite symmetrical. The compensation for the E string is usually the closest toward the fingerboard and all the way forward. If you were to...
  12. Replies
    Views

Looks like the bridge is on backwards, trebble and bass sides should be flipped around? Other than that, looking good! How does it sound?
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Bach E Major Prelude fingering

Hey! Alright, I finished it up, I pretty much gave you the fingerings for the difficult passages in the song. If you have any questions about it just let me know and I'll help. Also, if there is a...
  14. Re: Question about tailpieces and tuning machines.

If it was a standard stamped steel tailpiece they actually come off easier than most people think. Put a coin on the end of your finger and brace your thumbs down by the endpin and pull using both...
  15. Re: Question about tailpieces and tuning machines.

I helped a friend of mine restring her mandolin a while back, I would highly recomend a tailpiece that comes off easy. We had to pull at that thing for a while but eventually got it off.
    You can...
  16. Re: Question about tailpieces and tuning machines.

Hi Sam. Different tailpieces allow for easier string changes, if you're looking to change the tone of the instrument you need to look elsewhere. The tailpiece won't give you anything. Tuners are a...