Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Flame Arabesque Sound Holes on Mandolin?

In case any of you were curious as to the look, here's what the arabesque soundholes look like drawn onto a (roughly traced) F5 shape.
    I think Bertram Henze was right about the style not quite...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Submit a caption for this photo

The lighter the instrument, the better the sound! (Now you know why banjos sound that way!)
  3. Re: MAS and GAS-like symptoms for other instruments' players, if

Over the last few years I've acquired a mandolin, a viola, three pennywhistles, a recorder (that fits on a pennywhistle head), two ocarinas, a trumpet, a bass, two guitars, a mandolin, a ukulele, and...
  4. Thread: Hell

by TheArimathean
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hell

Looks like someone went through the door. And took pictures.

5. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Thanksgivng

'What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?'

And Happy...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Piano in Bluegrass (Blasphemy!)

"Bluegrass!" "You keep using that word; I don't think it means what you think it means..."
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Wrist Pain.

*Disclaimer* I'm no expert but I might be able to help anyways *

For general melody playing I think you want to move your palm away from the mandolin neck, and cradle it only in the space between...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Have you named your mandolin?

Will "The Mandolin" suffice?
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: the mandolin in bluegrass?

The mandolin, in bluegrass, also provides that characteristic bluegrass "chunk" on the off-beats, known as "chopping".
  10. Re: Get your popcorn out. I put a tonerite on my new Mix Carbon F

Keith, I completely did not mean to be spiteful or question your character with this post of mine: honestly that was in no way in my mind when I posted this, and I apologize for not clarifying that...
  11. Re: Has anyone here tried a fretless mandolin family instrument?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't ouds have double courses...? (no offense meant to you at all by the way, Marty)
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Changing strings

I've found that once I can't get my A strings in tune it's time for a new set.
  13. Re: What do you do when you're not "feeling" the mandolin?

Play something else for a while, look at new tunes in new genres to learn on various instruments, then eventually it'll circle back and you'll hunger to have that mandolin in your hands again.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Opening up and breaking in

I think it has something to do with the placebo affect...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: multiple instruments

We could make a IAS (Instrument Aquisition Syndrome) social group here on the Cafe! :))
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: multiple instruments

I think each new instrument adds to my knowledge of how to do new things on other instruments I might not have thought of before.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Can You Identify this Gibson Mandolin?

Wonder if they made those with a scroll and points...?
  18. Re: First three tunes/songs you learned first

If you like that kind of music too tinwhistler.com is a great resource if you read standard notation.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Use of the rounded side of pick

I know a lot of mandolin picks are symmetrical and have all three sides rounded like the shoulders, and that's about where my knowledge ends. I for one prefer the pointier end.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: My favorite photo of a guitar player

'Gee' look at those fingers! ;)
  21. Re: Best duet instrument with mandolin? Special circumstances...

I think Bouzouki or OM might also be good possibilities.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Mothers Against Banjos

If the Scottish army was allowed to march to war with bagpipes in order to frighten away the enemy, shouldn't the American army march with banjos...?
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Cafe members you'd like to meet.

Amen to that!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Cafe members you'd like to meet.

Of all the cafe posters there are three I would most like to meet (there were so many great people that could fit here I had to choose just three :confused: ):

Allenhopkins- From everything I've...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: A Riddle!

Winner: Phantoj!
    The answer was "music"
    It wakes soldiers up in the morning, reveille; it plays dances at night. Kings are greeted with fanfares, and dead men departed with dirges. Sadness more...
Page 1 of 2 1 2