Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s Happening At Gibsin?

One forgets that we are are a cranny inside a nook inside a niche. Gibson is a brand known amongst guitar players sure, and compared to mandolinners yea there are a whole lot more guitar players.
  2. Replies
    Views

No need to make critical remarks about Gibson mandolins to justify your love for other makers. Just be glad to own and enjoy playing the ones you are proud of, as I am of my Gibson.There are so many...
  3. Replies
    Views

It is always to be remembered that the Grail Instruments were all made in a factory. The Loar fretboards were miscut. No one cared much about them when they were released, at least the F-5 and the...
  4. Replies
    Views

i'm glad and very thankful that in the past 2 years i jumped on the chance when i was able to purchase a F9 from TMS (i really like the last couple years version of this model with its satin finish...
  5. Replies
    Views

Just think what could have been if Orville Gibson had protected the A and F shapes he invented? After all, it was his money and effort that developed it, sold it in to stores and made it the shape...
  6. Replies
    Views

I have no background in marketing nor sales, and in fact I'm not very good at either, but I suspect you are underestimating the power of THE brand name. History, including recent history, indicates...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Alan Niederland

Wanted to take a day to think about my old pal Alan before I wrote this.
    Alan and i were friends before either of us played music. We were going to school, back east, in Saratoga Springs, NY ...
  8. Replies
    Views

I'll repost here what I wrote on the Bibey Camp Facebook page about my dear friend Alan. Thankful that the Café introduced him to me 10 years ago, and even more thankful that we became in-person...
  9. Replies
    Views

Alan was a dear friend and a brother. We picked together so many times. He loved twinning on the mandolin and played the harmony to many tunes whenever we would pick. I was honored to have worked on...
  10. Replies
    Views

I considered him a friend and I will miss him. R.I.P. Alan.
  11. Re: Four mandolins stolen today from The Mandolin Store

New report stated the thief had been in the store earlier in the day, I'm sure the same cameras have a clear video of his face. It's a sad state to see a hard working business have to deal with this...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Reset bowlback mandolin neck

As far as prices there’s a Ceccherini that has been at Bernunzio for maybe years at $1250. It too has issues.

Bernie: I am confused about your comment about Marty Jacobson not shipping across the...
  13. Replies
    Views

I've never paid more than £300 for a Ceccherini, especially if it needs work. One was a much higher spec, never to be seen again model which I still miss!

But like I said, I haven't seen one for...
  14. Replies
    Views

I’ll second (or third) the recommendation for the Calace Dolce strings, Bernie.
    I’ve been using them on my bowls and flat backs for years. They seem to last forever.

I put a set of the Dogal...
  15. Replies
    Views

Bernie: In my not so humble opinion, best strings for a vintage Italian mandolin are Dogal Calace Dolce RW92b if you can find them. Bernunzio used to carry them but I think supply may come and go....
  16. Replies
    Views

Oh.... but, but, but, just looked at your images again, is that a 2mm action???

That would have been about standard for these when they were made, so if that's the case I would just:

* Lift the...
  17. Replies
    Views

OK, first the good news: what you have there is a Ceccherini (I'm sure you know that already), they are very nice sounding instruments, and in fact the one bowl back I've kept for myself is more or...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: 105 year old neck joints

A little update:

The insides have been all cleaned up, the original bassbar back in good shape, and a few very small delicate cleats installed using the recycled soundboard from a 1921 piano. WOW...
  19. Replies
    Views

What's the value of the mandolin? I'm assuming this mandolin isn't worth a $1000 repair/restoration, except for value-in-use. I think the most cost-effective option would be to remove the fretboard...
  20. Replies
    Views

Is there some sort of database on bowl back neck joints so exploratory surgery isn’t needed? My current issue is a L&H where I think body deformation is the issue because the soundboard is buckling...
  21. Replies
    Views

I can't tell from the pictures whether the cause of the problem is a bowed neck, or a change in neck to body geometry, or both. I suspect both.
    I probably wouldn't be able to tell without the...
  22. Replies
    Views

There is another way, if you are comfortable doing a fret job. Pull one fret, measure the tang and buy some frets with a tang that is a few thousands larger. It's compression fretting and Martin used...
  23. Replies
    Views

I agree I would remove the fingerboard and slightly spring the neck into a back bow. Glue the fingerboard on and if done correctly it will flatten the neck relief and lower the action. I would do...
  24. Replies
    Views

Bernie, unless someone raises their hand, my two cents: Neck resets on bowlbacks are not trivial because of the way they’re put together, so you might do best if the fretboard is reset instead. This...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass Mandolin for a Newbie

No reason why not but as your playing develops you’ll find that a heavier more rounded corner pick will float across the strings more easily. I generally find that the shorter the scale length, the...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4