Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: String gauges for Yank Rachell E tuning

You can go to a String Gauge calculator site such as https://tension.stringjoy.com/ and put in your current gauges tuned to G , see what your tension is and then change to E and see what the tension...
  2. Re: String gauges for Yank Rachell E tuning

Figuring the subject has come up before (a reasonable surmisal), I did a quick google of the site. First, I found he didn't tune just the G string down, he tuned all the strings 1 1/2 steps down, to...
  3. Replies
    Views

I'd ask on the "Builders and Repair" category before getting involved with guitar strings, because of issues with tension and such. Those folks will know a lot more than I do. Good luck and a Happy...
  4. Replies
    Views

I'm no expert but since no one else has responded, I'll put in my two-cents worth, which is worth about that. I'd try using a regular mandolin G string, and tune it down to E. Tuning up a D string...
  5. Replies
    Views

Blues in the Bottle

First recorded in 1928 by Prince Albert Hunt (https://www.lizlyle.lofgrens.org/RmOlSngs/RTOS-BluesInABottle.html), and covered a number of times since. I straightened it out a bit in several ways.
  6. Replies
    Views

serious blues mando here

best vid found in a long time on the tube

solo blues mandolin ... love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFge96aYTvs
  7. Re: Replacing Octave mandolin tuners, are they the same as mandol

yikes, rusted tuning machines. probably rusted from before they were installed on your octave. as for "already expensive", there is no such thing as a "cheap" octave. below $1000 are "needs work"...
  8. Re: Replacing Octave mandolin tuners, are they the same as mandol

The late Paul Hostetter posted this great picture of the inside of a Kluson tuner. It's always enlightening.
  9. Re: Replacing Octave mandolin tuners, are they the same as mandol

As others said, just be careful enough when measuring and you should be okay with standard mandolin tuners. Check to make sure the holes drilled in the peghead are perfectly perpendicular to the...
  10. Re: Replacing Octave mandolin tuners, are they the same as mandol

Those appear to be Kluson copies. They are worm over F style tuners. That limits you a bit but there are good tuners available from Gotoh and others. If you buy Grover worm over F style tuners they...
  11. Re: Replacing Octave mandolin tuners, are they the same as mandol

If there’s space for individual tuners, that’s the way I’d go. I have a Fylde mandolin with those and it’s a dream to tune - better than either my Waverly equipped A or Allessi equipped F.

Should...
  12. Re: Replacing Octave mandolin tuners, are they the same as mandol

You should be able to swap them for a set of mandolin tuners and if it is a modern instrument then you will be able to source a set from any of the well-known makers. I have always used the same...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Post your blues improvisation here!

A real oldie. I did this lesson over 10 years ago It’s all improvised blues and attempts to demonstrate how to highlight the 3rd and 7th of the chord of the moment to “play the changes”.

14. Re: Why not a domestic, hand built instrument instead?

Priorities.
    I remember well, a mandolin player friend said: "I'd like to have one of your mandolins but I can't afford one", just before driving off in his 4-door American made pickup truck to go...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mandolin string choices (MDO305)

Specific to the Eastman OM. The standard OM strings that they come with are too light gauge to drive the OM properly and many people put the mandola strings on their Eastman but tune to GDAE. The...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Red Eye vs. Grace Design Felix or Alix

One of the differences between Red Eye and Fishman is the input impedance. The Fishman is 10 Meg, the Red Eye 1 Meg. The K&K is 1 Meg. I feel the exact match is a better sound. Also the Red Eye has...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Zimnicki in classified info

It’s quite a striking instrument, and it’s at a really nice price point for a 10-string, let alone one with electronics. My main concern would be about the tone of the C string, since Elderly says...
  18. Out of solidarity we will observe Blackout Tuesday

Since inception this site has attempted to serve as an oasis, a respite from the rest of the world, a place to relax, let down and get away from a lot of complicated news, hot button topics, and many...
  19. New Forum Software Being Installed: all members must read

Starting this Friday afternoon at approximately 3:00 p.m. Central Time we will begin installing the next generation version of our Forum software. As a result, the Forum will be off-line for between...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Alex Heflin on the Eastman ER-M mandolin

I intentionally chose a very simple setup to show off the tone of the instrument. I just ran the mandolin straight into a Fishman Loudbox Artist.

The eq was pretty flat and I threw on a small...
  21. Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

Where'd he get the whammy bar?
  22. Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

So you can do this......

7hgLtl1gUes

:grin::cool:
  23. Re: How to safely remove K and K pickups from archtop guitar.

I use a soundpost setter for violin that I modified to have a sharpened edge that gets slightly thicker where it is sharpened. It is easily bent to give you access for different situations. It does...
  24. Re: How to safely remove K and K pickups from archtop guitar.

Well that's easy enough - you don't! It's more like you hook your finger in there to lay the blade against the inside of the top next to the transducer, then push the blade in with your fingertip.
  25. Re: How to safely remove K and K pickups from archtop guitar.

You should be able to carefully remove them by insinuating a single-edged razor blade in between pickup and top. Take your time. Observe and make sure you're not digging into either the top or the...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4