Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Monroe Style Mandolin Question

The first time I heard her I said she has Monroe down perfect. I listened some more and decided she was doing what Monroe was trying to do. She has the attitude but much smoother.
  2. Replies
    Views

I have played with the strap over one shoulder and with the strap around my neck and I never had any problems either way. I slightly prefer to wear the strap around my neck but I don’t really notice...
  3. Replies
    Views

I never wear a cowboy hat and always use the single shoulder strap. It puts the mandolin in a better place to play it.
  4. Replies
    Views

You want approximately a right angle in your picking arm so that your arm/hand is parallel to the strings. This also means your mandolin neck should be parallel-ish with the ground. This lessens...
  5. Replies
    Views

My thoughts entirely, I take full responsibility.

No matter how much I play, study, emulate, copy, and mimic Bill Monroe, I am never, ever going to play in a way that anyone would confuse with...
  6. Replies
    Views

In my BG period, about 1961-1969, most mandolin players, like Monroe, Osborne and McReynolds had the strap over just one shoulder. Not just the older guys but also, e.g., Doyle Lawson (who is 4...
  7. Replies
    Views

The bill Monroe homespun courses, with Sam bush and Monroe will help. Strap position and angle are about as impacting as gouging out Gibson from the headstock. The trap many fall into is trying to...
  8. Replies
    Views

Monroe style playing centers around a few specific techniques,first as mentioned before , is his use of syncnapation like the way he plays the B parts in Salt creek and Kentucky mandolin.he adds that...
  9. Replies
    Views

The Homespun video series with Monroe showing his style and playing tunes on part one, and Sam Bush dissecting the tunes and the style on part two, is a worthwhile investment IMO whether you think...
  10. Replies
    Views

I'm not a Monroe style guy but I would watch out for the single should strap.... really great way to mess up your back and shoulder IMO. I know a few players that ended up with some problems with...
  11. Replies
    Views

Mike Compton is a great resource for Monroe's style. He holds camps periodically. Check him out.
  12. Replies
    Views

Lauren Price is another teaches Monroe style, often with Chris Henry or Mike Compton, but also teaches privately.

https://youtu.be/lCp7rEG0a4I
  13. Replies
    Views

Monroe Mandolin Camp is coming up the end of September in Abingdon, VA. www.monroemandolincamp.com If you want to learn Monroe style, it's hard to beat this camp.
  14. Replies
    Views

Monroe wore his strap on one shoulder, so that’s why that is more common with Monroe pickers…

A good baseline for where the pick strikes the string is having it sit flat on the string midway...
  15. Replies
    Views

Unless you’re wearing a cowboy hat, shouldn’t need the single shoulder strap trick.
  16. Replies
    Views

Those are all good thoughts in your last post, I agree.

Start with some easier tunes like Roanoke or Big Mon. Don’t go too fast at first!! If you can’t play it cleanly, slow down and keep working...
  17. Replies
    Views

A lot of that is just coincidence. Mandolin position, strap location etc will not give you an authentic Monroe sound.

Pick hold is more relevant.. strive for a closed fist (no pinky planting), and...
  18. Re: Do I need a repair person who specializes in mandolins?

Good to hear. :)
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Charm City Bluegrass

With 340+ murders per year, you're looking more at redgrass than bluegrass.

I don't go to Baltimorgue any more.