Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: My Herb Taylor tenor guitar build in progress!

And here it 'tis: Sapele back and sides (with side port), light colored cedar top (looked back at old email communications and Herb mentioned having a piece of light colored cedar, not spruce as...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Oktoberfest/Bavarian folk music

That's not Oktoberfest, it's Musikantenstadl (a regular event staged solely for TV like a Late Night show - and they are not really singing, it's a recording being played). The creepy part to me has...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning to Flatt and Scruggs

:)
  4. Replies
    Views

New Jessen Blue Octave Mandolin

Hi everyone. I think I said I was going to make a blue one some day? Well here it is. I barely had time to get 12 coats of varnish sprayed on outside last week when the temps were in the low 60's,...
  5. Replies
    Views

Tenor Guitar Chord Book for free

Hi folks. As part of my teaching for various pupils, I've recently put together a basic tenor guitar chord book, which is freely available from my website at:
  6. Replies
    Views

Martin TEN515: Review

In case anyone is interested, I have owned the latest Martin tenor for several weeks now and here is my review of this instrument.

First, it is an Elderly Instruments exclusive. I do not live...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Addario - Seeking Mandolin Beta Testers

Folks who didn't get or misplaced the email from D'Addario can find the online survey HERE .
  8. Old Virzi and more found at Mandolin Brothers

Someone sent this to us, knew it was a Virzi but wasn't sure from what, or its worth. Rather than tell what we think it is--believe it's from a violin--thought we'd toss out here because they're...
  9. A Treasure Trove of Tiny, Johnny and Jethro

And that Eldon Shamblin guy on guitar.

Blues in G followed by Fat Boy Rag

jEwnnXPtlMI

Some fiddling

q3X1lJLFNC4
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Lefty F-5 for Sale in Baltimore for $1500

I visited the seller and inspected the instrument this past week. It is not a Gibson instrument but a replica without any labels or markings inside to indicate the maker. The construction was not bad...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: 1953 5 String Bigsby Mandolin

A few wonderful copies were made by TK Smith, yes...
    But he now has his own design...
    Here's mine--a bench copy of the Tarver minus the Bigsby tailpiece:
  12. Replies
    Views

Ceramic Guitar

Here's an interesting find from the Stew-Mac site. Maybe someone could try making a mandolin like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG7bqKe-CRQ
  13. Tim O'Brien at Strawberry Music Festival live streaming tonight

Tim O'Brien is playing tonight at 7:15 p.m. (Pacific) at the Strawberry Music Festival in Grass Valley. You can stream it live courtesy of our local community radio station: kvmr.org

KVMR also...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Everything you wanted to know about Intonation.

7) Notes are OK up to fret X, but after that are all over the place.

A certain dose of realism may be in order here. Consider that we can usually hear notes greater than 3cents off as “out of...
  15. Cool tip for the electric guitar players (no mando content)

Sorry, my only "no mando" post, though this might be useful for some electric mando players. In my defense, I have no interest in joining any guitar forums, because the cafe gets my time and I love...
  16. Replies
    Views

Archtop Tenor Build Complete

Been working on this one off and on for 11 mnonths.. Finally done, sounds not too bad, probably a bit over built but hopefully will open up a bit more over time.

Kerry

17. The Italian Mandolin: Its evolution, nomenclature and types.

Dear Mandolin Cafe friends,

First of all I wish 2016 will be a good, healthy, peaceful and musical year for everyone! :)

And secondly and as a personal gift I like to share the following...
  18. Replies
    Views

A short film - Birth of a Luthier

A quick 10 minute film about a fellow starting out. I thought some of you might like it.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: New Herb Taylor tenor guitar

20. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing Seventh Chords Cleanly

If you really want to get fancy, learn to play 7th chords up the neck with a "filler chord" between each inversion. You could play these all night for blues:
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing Seventh Chords Cleanly

If you don't mind a little transposing, try 3-note chords with Four inversions of the same V7 chord.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Warren Ellis Signature MandoTenor

Thanks for sharing , fortunately for me they are not making 5 string mando/5 string tenor version :mandosmiley:
  23. Replies
    Views

Texas Style G Breakdown Progression

Texas style fiddle backup for common key of G fiddle tunes, such as Leather Britches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APlgO5RWWvA

PDF of the chords here:
  24. Who Invented the Gibson "Cremona Brown" Sunburst Finish?

Like so many of Gibson's now world-famous innovations, the "Cremona Brown" sunburst finish used on the Master-Model instruments from 1922 forwards was the invention of an obscure employee.

Turns...