Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Viking OM Gig Bag Review (From Hobgoblin)

The case that came with my OM is pretty heavy, so I picked up this gig bag: http://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/local/sales/products/GR32993/viking-vomb30-premium-octave-mandola-bag/

Here are my thoughts...
  2. Replies
    Views

Villads Hoffmann

https://youtu.be/0D0RKv0nqNU
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Seeking tailpiece for old bowl back

There were at least three different designs used on these over the years (probably more) but they are all the same basic screw pattern. The tops were not totally interchangeable either but they are...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Seeking tailpiece for old bowl back

You can use the screw in the middle below the tine that is ready to fail- it is in a reasonable position. It is unusual to have a screw there- normally there are only three screws on this sort of...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: clamping conundrum

I think that is a great name for a band made up of luthiers: "Clamping Conundrum". Thanks, Karen! Also, glad to see you are doing that luthier job. I still have the box of parts -- I intend to put...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: The Thile Solo Bach Tour - Live, Fall of 2013

The show last night was so much fun. He played for a solid two hours with a mix of Bach, stuff pt1, Bach, Stuff pt2, Bach, Stuff Pt3, Bach, encore. On stage he's a mix of David Tennant and Jim...
  7. Replies
    Views

Amazing concert tonight at Zankel Hall (Carnegie) in New York City. He played pretty much non-stop for close to 2 hours, an amazing joy ride thru multiple genres touching on Bach throughout, some...
  8. Replies
    Views

Saw Thile at the Newman Center at Denver University a few weeks back. Probably seats around 800 or so and great acoustics. I did not hear much yawning going on. Amazed me how an individual and a...
  9. Replies
    Views

Tour Stop Number One:
    It is hard to find words that adequately convey Chris Thile’s spectacular performance in Seattle last night. Chris’s interpretations of Bach are masterful and...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: new found respect....

I really do think that this Cafe is an incredible place. The group that has developed here has met the community-building promise the internet held before us at its outset. I am not sure that can...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: headstock break glue choice?

I kept looking for the little "thumbs up" image to post, but I guess there isn't one... so imagine a little "thumbs up" icon here.
  12. Re: lookin for some generic info on the Octave Mando

Karen, you're not alone. It is annoying on what's out there and how things are marketed. Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I need a 'Hello Kitty' strap for my instrument. But, if it encourages...
  13. Re: Market for standard and innovative A style mandolins

I think you are thinking of Brian Dean's Grand Concert mandolin dad. Fantastic little number it is too. It's got 2 backs, one operates like a toneguard.
  14. Re: Market for standard and innovative A style mandolins

Here's my 2 cents: there are two aspects of mandolin-making -- the visual aesthetic and the acoustics aesthetic. We here in cyberspace can ohh and aah to infinity over hundreds of different makers...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: folding travel mandolin,just a thought

This doesn't really apply to mandolins, but I've always thought that the standard approach to designing travel guitars - i.e. making them small enough to fit in a rucksack - is the wrong way round. ...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: OM vs Irish Bouzouki

What Bertram said.

I would encourage you to go with the longer scale and the GDAD tuning and see if you like it. One pointer, though, you will want to approach it as a completely different...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin prices

My .02 - Buy a used decent quality, like Eastman, OR to really get the best bang for the $ spent go with a flat top like mid-mo/big muddy, Redline, etc. Less hours spent carving the top and plate...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Someday I'd like to build a mandolin

If you get no other tool, make sure you get a round tuit.
  19. Re: Mandolin Fret Job..? Luthiers, please weigh in with your opi

Donzen -

I'm pretty much with the others - refretting is the kind of job that seems to require a specific quoted price, so the "good" and "bad" jobs are more or less averaged to allow for that. ...
  20. Replies
    Views

If your interested, you can visit the cracked headstock section of my website, it actually shows a typical repair process

http://www.ultrainspections.com/Cracked_Headstocks.html

Steve
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice for building my first mandolin..

I had several bottles of different species of wood dust, but after I saw this at frets.com I dumped them all out. I use a scraper rather than a chisel because I don't like to dull my chisels by...
  22. Replies
    Views

Although I generally agree that you should buy no tools beyond scrapers, really good chisels and fingerplanes ... I do think a bandsaw is a pretty nice thing to have. I probably use my bandsaw more...
  23. Replies
    Views

If you have the money for a good band saw, get one, but if you can't afford a good one, don't get one.
    IMO, a band saw should be as big, heavy, stiff, strong and high quality as you can afford and...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Weird E string issue

Change your strings mate ...geeez
  25. Replies
    Views

Here's a link to Frank Ford's Frets.com info about hhg...

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Data/Materials/GlueTest/gluetest.html

If you look in his topic index there's more info about...
Page 1 of 2 1 2