Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: New mandolin and selfmade accessories

I'm diggin' the action guage too! …. Just an observation here, but I noticed you stated your pick is made of a 'flexible' material. I have a 'The Loar' 600 (which I like), but seems barely audible...
  2. Re: What’s the hardest tune you can play on mandolin? (Or family)

Fairly recently I asked this same question … "that seems hard to play, is it?" (can't remember the player or the tune at the moment) but his answer was very motivating ..… "no, it's not hard to play...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Custom Build Luthiers

First off... my statement was made with tongue firmly planted in cheek, focusing only on your first sentence, (Sorry, couldn't resist). I've only had the opportunity to play one Gil (a phenomenal...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Custom Build Luthiers

"Who are the Custom Build Luthiers, that can build mandolins that can equal or outshine production models from the big boys?"

Steve Gilchrist … :grin:
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Intonation Question

Thanks for the replies ... I use the tape as well to mark position as a reference. The saddle wasn't switched on the bridge (I also use painters tape to keep them in position while its off the top)....
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: F-5G versus F-9

You won't be sorry!! I can't count the number of compliments that I've had about mine (sound and appearance) ... Enjoy!!
  7. Thread: dust bunnies

by KGreene
    Replies
    Views

Re: dust bunnies

Those appear to be more uniformed in shape than any "dust bunnies" I've seen... they look more like a cocoon of some sort... Spider maybe...??

JMTCW
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Ugh. It happened.

Yup...at least for a while .... I had the opportunity to play a 2010 Sam Bush model recently ... I find myself wanting those block inlays, not to mention the sound was incredible.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: What on earth are you doing?

I feel 'ya ... I have been asked many times if the words that I'm trying to remember are on the ceiling .... Yes, of course they are, and sometimes on the tops of my shoes!
  10. Thread: Scales.

by KGreene
    Replies
    Views

Re: Scales.

"Scales are tools" ... I couldn't agree more. Just as arpeggios, double stops and chords are tools. But like any tool, if you don't learn to use it to its fullest extent, only a finite amount of...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Poor Man's Gibson

I went for a long time trying to have the "poor mans Harley" ... ended up investing a lot of money into trying to have a bike that sounded like a Harley ... At the end of the day, even though the...
  12. Thread: Say "Cheese"?

by KGreene
    Replies
    Views

Re: Say "Cheese"?

And the Rolling Stones are still performing, I hear.

:)) References to the Stones nowadays always cracks me up..... WAIT!! I just walked by the bathroom mirror and saw Keith Richards!:crying:
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Considering a Blue Chip Pick?

I personally cannot say enough about the BC's. I have the TAD50's and CT55's (lean more toward the CT's). Also have quite a few of the Primetones and Dunlop Ultex's, of which the sound and glide for...
  14. Re: There is NO WAY that pinky is going to make it to the boardwa

I think the most useful tip I ever heard regarding this was by Adam Steffey (I think is was A.S.) ... "If your not good with your pinky finger ...Get good with your pinky finger" .... Pretty...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: MAS on a budget

Got that T-shirt!!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking at BlueChip picks.

I was a bit skeptical about the BC's, but after owning several now (primarily using the TAD50 and the CT55), I can't find anything that I don't like about them.... Playing hard several nights weekly...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Chips-Chips-Chips

My first BC was the TAD50 (still use it quite often)... Recently purchased a CT55 (not a 'huge' difference). I really just don't care for the sound or feel of the hundred or so other types I have.
  18. Thread: Pinky question

by KGreene
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pinky question

I think the best tip I ever heard for "pinky control" was a very simple but direct statement from Adam Steffey (i believe).... "if your not good with your pinky, get good with your pinky." ..... Use...
  19. Re: Gibson question - F-Series, Size and dimensions

A guy that's been playing with us has a '78 F5L, of which the body is thinner than my '14 F5G.... the thickness of the binding. not sure if that's an anomaly or not? and it does appear smaller ......
  20. Thread: Opened up

by KGreene
    Replies
    Views

Re: Opened up

:disbelief:

:disbelief: ... That explains the dead rat that fell out when mine opened up!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Wow!... Jerusalem Ridge

You should check out Adam Steffy and Danny Roberts doing their rendition together...... Freakin' awesome!!!
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Show off you gibsons!

2014 Harvey F5G and 1917 F2
  23. Thread: 1917 f2

by KGreene
    Replies
    Views

Re: 1917 f2

So, now its mine.... can't wait to get it setup, strings, cleaned, etc.... Haven't had the opportunity to get the mirror inside as of yet, but I'm anxious to see what I find (if anything).... And no,...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Played a killer mandolin tonight!

My Harvey signed F5G receives nothing but compliments (even while I'm playing it!). I couldn't be happier with mine, Great all around sound with plenty of cut. I would recommend an F5G by Harvey to...
  25. Re: Help, new to this site, not sure if allowed to post.

Hey, hey... Careful there!! ... I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't use that kind of language while my wife is watching me read the cafe forum.
Page 1 of 2 1 2