Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about recent Gibson F9's and F5G's

I saw that, and I would definitely consider one of those. There is also an F9 that just came up in the classified (flat board and narrow nut). The challenge is that I'm very skeptical to buy...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about recent Gibson F9's and F5G's

Thanks for the info. I'm only going to buy something I can play in person, so that definitely makes things more difficult. You're right about the Florida, I could just scoop it, but I have also...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: EML Picks? Or other casein picks?

Thanks for the suggestions! I bought a D'Addario casein pick and it's actually pretty nice. Not as nice as the EML though.

I also ordered a couple Red Bear picks but haven't received them yet...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Right hand wrist position

I think your right hand position looks normal.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: I Hate Playing Chords

I used to think that A barre chord was really difficult, and same with the thumb - I was never sure if it should be around the back of the neck like a classical guitarist (it shouldn't) or if I could...
  6. Re: Hand position, and proper way to wear a strap?

Yes, thanks for bringing this up. In that same Mike Marshall video (not the YouTube video but the DVD from which that is taken - which I have), Mike says that all these "rules" go out the window...
  7. Re: Hand position, and proper way to wear a strap?

The mandolin neck should not be palmed. It should rest in the area right at the base of the first finger. Sort of the padded area of the hand right below the first finger. Also, you should not use...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Addrio picks?

My personal opinion is that casein picks click more than Blue Chip material (i.e. I get more pick click with casein).

They are also more brittle and will not last as long (they are not resistant...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Subscription Tutorial Sites

Peghead Nation is awesome. They let you switch course up to twice a month, so I pay for one course and browse around a little. I have no experience with Artist Works, so can't compare with that. I...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: another "flying with my mandolin" thread

I agree with sblock, volume is meaningless. The dimensions are what the airlines are getting at. They want to limit you to a carry-on luggage that they know will fit in the overhead compartments. ...
  11. Replies
    Views

It's easy to have a plan B: be nice if a problem arises. Most of the time, if you're nice, the flight attendants will accommodate you (put your mandolin in a closet or something). Worst case...
  12. Replies
    Views

I fly with my mandolin all the time with no issues. I get on as early as possible to make sure I have overhead space. The only way they would make you check your mandolin was if there was no...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Considering a Blue Chip Pick?

For me, BC picks are just as much about the feel as they are about the tone. I don't think there tone is that much better than any other pick out there. There are some picks that I think have just...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about minor scales

My old guitar teacher always used to say the following with respect to which notes are the most important when improvising (in order from most important to least important):

1) The notes that make...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Essential Mandolin Techniques.

That's what I was saying as well. Pointing out that some players play that way, but the OP should not try to do it that way.
  16. Replies
    Views

Alternate picking on the mandolin is very important and you want to make sure you are doing this correctly. Think of your right hand as your metronome going up and down with the beat (1 & 2 & 3 & 4...
  17. Replies
    Views

You are correct, they are advocating for two different approaches that look very similar. Caterina is advocating for a pick hold that is closer to the pad of the finger or maybe the "corner" between...
  18. Replies
    Views

Here you go!

https://youtu.be/JofcuQg56-I
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Instruments, Cost & the Placebo Effect

Alex Orr, you're right! Maybe we should talk about Blue Chip picks instead... ;)
  20. Thread: What the

by Stevo75
    Replies
    Views

Re: What the

I'm pretty sure Chris Thile and Julian Lage have a solid grasp on music fundamentals and theory ;)
  21. Thread: What the

by Stevo75
    Replies
    Views

Re: What the

Why would they?
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Scales--my new morning friend

Different patterns. Like up in thirds (so up a third, down a second on the way up and down in thirds on the way down). Up in threes and fours. For example, 1,2,3,2,3,4,3,4,5). There are a bunch of...
  23. Thread: Red Bear picks

by Stevo75
    Replies
    Views

Re: Red Bear picks

There has been a recent thread where we're discussing Fender Tru-shell picks. They are made from casein, the same stuff used to make Red Bear picks as far as I can tell.

Has anyone compared Red...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: When you learn something important

I work on a computer for my job, so I have a lot of keyboard time under my belt. I always used to look at the keyboard when I typed. About 15 years ago, I wondered if I could type without looking....
  25. Re: It's time for many in the north to start humidifting.

A large evaporative humidifier works great if you can't attach one to your furnace. They work way better than those small room humidifiers. They can be a little noisy (a fan is required to induce...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4