Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Celebrating The Mandolin Pickers Guide to Bluegrass Improvisa

.... nice discount ... thanks. I need to mix things up a bit and this book will likely be a great help to me !!!!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Orange on today Show

I caught MO last night from up close that the Pabst Theater in Milwaukee. Goodness, it was magical .... they did the last song unplugged.

Hope the video shows... I'm not so good at inserting...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: What instrument is the hardest? My experience

I have s slew of pedals to try to make those psych sounds. Is there a wrong way to play it? why do I want one?
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Vulfpeck - Thile appearance

pretty much how I dance to everything ..... the moment just demands it....
  5. Thread: Don't be nervous

by mtm
    Replies
    Views

Re: Don't be nervous

I have been to a few low end "sessions" but attended my first BG jam yesterday. I've been to this jam once before but didn't get my mandolin out, it being the first time there, and it was a fairly...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: When or why to upgrade

I agree with all of your points. I've been to Elderly and played a bunch of high end models, but realized the Eastman is a pretty good instrument and I'm content (as of now) with it. I'm well...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Late Night Trashy Mandolin Music

I have played late at night while trashed... does that count? (not recommended....)
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: What on earth are you doing?

I found that when I wear tights (ala Anderson), I make faces too ....
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Geneseo String Band

I graduated from Geneseo in '81, and while not 'in tune' with the mandolin at the time, also don't recall this group. I do recall the "Moss Back Mule Band" playing bluegrass at the now defunct...
  10. Thread: Thile / Mehldau

by mtm
    Replies
    Views

Thile / Mehldau

I'm sure there are other threads pertaining to Thile / Mehldau shows, but I just have to say that I caught them tonight at a very nice-sounding venue (Sharon Lynn Wilson Theatre in suburban MKE) and...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: New Band Finds to Share

to each his own... I think she is amazing ....
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: New Band Finds to Share

Chicken Wire Empire from right here in Milwaukee ... a nice bunch of guys to boot. Ryan plays a Nugget...

Apologies for not knowing how to embed ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6qVyWCeY0I
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Hearing Protection Suggestions

Speaking of Jason Isbell, I saw him recently at Milwaukee's Summerfest (Outlaw Festival) and he was REALLY LOUD ... he was good, but really loud (saw him indoors a year ago and that was really loud...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Using effects with the mandolin

It's helpful for me to use a looper to practice with the mandostrat... and why not add some pedals for fun? I have a Rocktron Valve Charger overdrive (very inexpensive, got it used at MusicGoRound)...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Alrighty ... Sampler II has made its way from Canada and arrived today !!!!! I'll settle into some "hot" picking this evening. To be clear, it's climatcially (a word?) HOT in MKE right now. My...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Ever have those nights...

We are so water logged here in MKE ... when I picked up the mando last night, like Ken, it too was "farther off than I have ever experienced". Interesting ....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Are mandolins romantic?

mine is more like ... sexy. Quite a G string.....
  18. Thread: What if?

by mtm
    Replies
    Views

Re: What if?

jobs come and go... a 24 Loar? Not so much...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile - Miss Manhattan

ummm, he is playing within the context of a live radio show, and making it resonate with a local theme. It's a "skit" and probably not meant to be "ground breaking", but rather well executed, which...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Met the Dawg last night!

cool ... it's great that these 'greats' still come out and meet the concert goers....

I looked at your Dawg lick vid and while I have a ways to go on the lick, I also highly recommend Lakefronts...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Electronic Music - It Has No Soul?

... I do like how Bill Frisell uses his pedals to amazing effect (the king of reverse delay), all the while getting about as much emotion out of a guitar as anyone ....
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing along with Guitars and Piano??

Two finger chords "ring out" louder so are good for volume, but as mentioned, other chords might distinguish your mandolin from the other instruments. "Double stops" also work well, while keeping...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Should a beginner buy electric mandolin?

I started with both and acoustic and electric because I like acoustic but needed to rock with the nephews. The electric is nice, as mentioned above, because it's quiet when not plugged in, so I can...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: I played a 1929 Gibson F5....

I had the Gibson F5 jitters, for sure, ..... I could have managed the situation much better. I was with some friends of the in-laws who think they know the F5 owner and said he has a stunning...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: I played a 1929 Gibson F5....

Brad, that does look like what he had, and the price is right.

Can't blame my wife ... I really didn't have the time but it was a fun experience. I don't suspect I'll play one of those for a...
Page 1 of 2 1 2