Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo...Which player...

John Duffey's desperate wail in his solo on Last Train from Poor Valley on Act 2 from the Seldom Scene.
  2. Thread: Ibanez mando

by Jeroen
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ibanez mando

Ray(T) are you suggesting with your one worded communication "Evidence?" that I have my numbers wrong? I have played my 513 for about 8 years and the thread I linked to is pretty clear, don't you...
  3. Thread: Ibanez mando

by Jeroen
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ibanez mando

It's a 513. That model was the first serious mandolin that I could afford in my teens. I think it has a pressed top and at the time I was really happy with it, given the alternatives. It will not...
  4. Re: Seeking "mournful" mandolin - like Levon Helm with The Band

I hear a guitar doing a great job in emulating a vocal or saxophone line using tremolo. In the mandolin world David Grisman sometimes plays that way. Paul Buskirk comes to mind too. I have trouble...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Please help! Fixing my pick direction

Two tips to fix pick direction:
    *Don't play the tunes you've memorized the wrong way for a long time.
    *Practice the tunes and phrases you tend to mess up with a bounce.

Actually, I think there...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile quote on resting hand on the bridge

There is a reason for wanting to feel where the fleshy parts of your right hand are, and keep them ready.

You will have a great extra tool in your box when you learn to mute with fleshy parts of...
  7. Thread: Tremolo Paradox

by Jeroen
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo Paradox

markscarts, you will want to integrate your tremolo in your normal playing, so I suggest to keep going at it with your normal grip on your favorite pick. As soon as you feel like loosening to get...
  8. Thread: Paul Buskirk

by Jeroen
    Replies
    Views

Paul Buskirk

I found two crazy videos of Paul Buskirk playing something big, and good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIE3fAqgtIs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivMSsF4gAEE
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: New Punch Brothers Album

I'd be worried if they pleased me with a first listen. And I love them for never doing so.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Jethro Burns Method

Mark, that's the complete collection of the three Mel Bay publications. It has the humbling 'Mandolin Player' with many exercises and examples of his musical mandolin ideas and few 'easy' things to...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: I still don`t believe it...

Bluegrass has been original music from its start, not so long ago. Play it how you love it Willie, and make people love it for how it sounds and how you deliver it, rather than the history of it.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass Songs In a Minor Key?

I think that many of the traditionals mentioned here are modal old time tunes that were not standard major or minor before they were incorporated in the bluegrass repertoire. Many or all of them have...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Simple way to convert TABS to readable

Is doing it by hand an option? You will develop a personal style which will look cool. Anyone remember the great little Niles Hokannen booklets? I like to do the handwork and think it really helps...
  14. Re: "Don't worry about the chord root, the bass will play that"

(Important comment there on the awkwardness of chopping without a solid downbeat (and a driving banjo) by jbrwky that needs a good thread of it's own.)

On topic: The music will usually sound less...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: New Camptown Races

Thanks guys! Good job digging this up: It's nearly impossible to find.

I am a proud member of this band: Rocks and Ivy, from Belgium and the Netherlands. This is from a live show in Kopenhagen for...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you pronounce "Wegen"?

It has been fun following this thread.

I hope I am not ruining the fun for David and Kevin, and maybe some real Dutchies frequenting the board.

Our W is not like your V in vintage or voodoo. It...
  17. Replies
    Views

Whatever Bill Monroe would have played....

Whatever Bill Monroe would have played. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif