1. Replies
    Views

Re: Post A picture of your favorite "A" model

My Collings MT2-O 182251
  2. Replies
    Views

Ektarina Skliar playing Asturias

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6jGRunX9s8

One of my favorite classical guitar pieces. Ms. Skliar has done what I think is a very nice mandolin arrangement, and the transcription -- no...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: K&K vs Shertler Resocoil

Try JJB -- I have on 2 mandolins and will be getting one for guitar soon. I have no financial interest. JJB pre-amp is also very good. Clean, with volume but no other controls.
  4. Replies
    Views

Between Alpine and Marfa

5. Replies
    Views

Re: Want to learn Jazz mandolin

I am finding the difference between short phrase 'improvised' fills supporting a vocal and solos to be very interesting. Any 'freedom' in the solo is 180 degrees from the constraints of...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins on airplanes

I keep a copy of this in my case when travelling. From experience, however, be careful about when you pull it out. When advised that I had a copy of the reg, one of the gate crew said something to...
  7. Replies
    Views

Song For My Father (slow) 100 bpm, vocal

Hi -- Maria and the Mudkatz doing Horace Silver's "Song For My Father" via email tracks back and forth.

It's long.

Maria Valsi - vocal
    Hal Pettit - guitar(s)
    Gil Jusino - bass...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: how to take off the wooden strap button

Collings endpins are glued in; I confirmed this with them. Per the shop advice, I cut it with a fine saw, then drilled a small hole in the remaining, and used that hole to start with a taper tool. I...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Problems we like to have ...

I am often asked "Why don't you play an instrumental?" paraphrased "for God's sake don't sing!"
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: another "flying with my mandolin" thread

On a recent flight on Icelandic, staffed by BOAC employees under contract, from JFK to Amsterdam, I was asked to put the mando case in the bag check box. The gate agent pointed out that it did not...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: June Jazz tune of the month: Swing 42

Thanks, Pete. I'll try to get last month's too. It was a crazy month.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: May Jazz tune of the month: Body and Soul

I heard a few minutes of an interview (jazz station on car satellite radio) of two jazz players talking about phrasing. One of the players was talking about solos and said he learned a ballad from...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Schertler Dyn-M vs L.R. Baggs Radius

LRB was susceptible to extra noise IMHO. I could not get much gain out of the Shertler, but tone was very good.

You should look at JJB, and don't let the low price fool you. Excellent stuff.
  14. Re: April Jazz tune of the month: What is This Thing Called Love?

Here's a go at it. I get lost a couple of times; fingers ahead of my head or vice versa.

https://soundcloud.com/david-martin-459553349/what-is-this-thing-called-love

Collings MT2-O, Rode mic...
  15. Replies
    Views

Supreme Court

Justice Stephen Breyer asked: "What does it cost for a mandolin seller who sells mandolins on the internet to sell them in 50 states?"
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Songlist for next week (in my dreams)

It went well. Starting with "can you play jazz on a mandolin" and ending with me getting to call the last tune and "we are really glad you came, please come back, I have another group you might like...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Expensive mandolins

Echoing some of the comments above --

I just purchased the most expensive instrument I have ever owned, even adjusting for inflation. But first the story (related on another thread). My...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Why keys of B and B flat?

I agree. That was him, not me. I don't (won't) play with him any more, for more reasons than that.

Just came back from seeing Arlo Guthrie. Very enjoyable, no great musicianship but superb songs...
  19. Replies
    Views

I played with a songwriter -- when I was just starting on mando -- who would say, on stage, "I think we are going to capo up one (or down) on this tonight. Ok, ready?" I made some pretty bad music...
  20. Replies
    Views

I find Bb to lay on the mandolin frets very well. You have G open, A open, D open, and chord shapes move well in the first 5 or 6 frets. Chord along on Boulder to Birmingham in that key, you'll see...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: March Jazz tune of the month: Soft Winds

Here is my effort at this stage. Kudos to those above and thanks to Pete for initiative and persistance. This is on my new (beautiful) Collings MT2-O. The action is a little lower than I am used...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Another Licensing Question...

Forty years ago I was playing six nights a week on a circuit of restaurant bars. The venue made the bands pay the licensing fees, at the time $50 a week (200/mo). While wrong for the venue to make...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Public Domain

I agree with David Brown; two years ago, a SESAC rep happened into a place I played, and warned the owner. His message was only PD or original. Nothing came of the visit, no letters or further...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: What sort of mandolin would a pirate have?

A Gibsen, Eperphone, Colin's, Eastmen, Southfield, Breadlove, etc.
  25. Re: February Jazz tune of the month: There Will Never Be Another

Hi, here is my effort, I have a slight buzz going on, not sure what. AC hum? Anyway this is my slow tempo, Otis (elevators) inspired.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3