Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: How did the "curl" on the mandolin body evolve?

Some argue its a vestigial appendage left over from when mandolins lived in the sea. Possibly a flipper. From the Mandozoic Period.
  2. Re: Teacher recommendation for left hand technique

Look for Pete Martin. I think he has an ad here on the cafe. He specifically teaches about ergonomics. NFI.
  3. Re: Article: Introducing David Grisman's Mandolin Workshop Books

Well, that's a relief! But, now I kinda want a Kentucky Dawg model (I love my Buckeye F5 though!) for Dawg Tricks. Btw, the "Grateful Dawg" documentary is currently free on Amazon Prime.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Can you teach musicality?

Congrats on your first post, and welcome to the Cafe!

Musicality is absolutely a teachable skill, but most teachers don't know how to teach it and a great many of them don't posses the skillset...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Can you teach musicality?

A set of skills and a mindset combined in me and propelled me to much greater musicality.

The skill set were fairly pedestrian things. Volume control and dynamics, paralleling the speed of my...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Are People Buying Less Mandolins Now?

Been tempted to do a feature article on this but don't think it's going to happen. Here's an opinion that's a combination of what's occurring the Classifieds and what our retail business partners and...
  7. Re: Nordic/Finnish/Swedish folk music recommendation

Finnish mandolin is heavily influenced by Heikki Lahti.

https://youtu.be/hINXfAJipPA

More modern is Jarmo Romppanen -

https://youtu.be/cGnEBJN8Mmw
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Music Tours -- suggestions

Ye might check out Wild Atlantic Music Tours - aside from the fact that the Wild Atlantic Way winds through a beautiful part of the country, their roster of musicians who lead the tours is pretty...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Music Tours -- suggestions

Dave,

I went on a southwest Ireland music tour with Inishfree last year and had a fabulous time. We toured quaint villages and countryside by day and caught intimate ITM in the pubs every evening....
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Beginner Celtic mandolin

As a longtime player of Irish Traditional music my advice would be buy the best mandolin you can afford, regardless of shape, regardless as to whether it is oval hole or has f-holes, regardless as to...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Left-Handed Players

You're making a great point.

I've been playing guitar for over fifty years and have never been able to get a good alternating bass going. About a year ago I attended a guitar workshop with drop-D...
  12. Replies
    Views

Thijs van der Harst Octave Mandolin

It is always a treat to learn of luthiers 'across the pond'. Bob has found another very nice instrument that we might not 'ever be aware of' in the States.

A collection of fine instruments is the...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Thanks!

So, let's try this again (if only editing posts was allowed beyond a certain time...)

Here's me playing a 4 course medieval lute I built. The song I'm playing here is 'Douce Dame Jolie'...
  14. Thread: Left hand

by sbhikes
    Replies
    Views

Left hand

I went to a concert last night in an intimate setting to see a very gifted mandolinist (a very gifted trio, really). I have never seen anyone play the mandolin with such skill in person. I took note...
  15. March Mandolin Festival concerts and beer tasting

Well, folks, our workshop slots are full for 2019, but we have two great concerts that are open to the public, on Friday March 1 at the Stone Church Music Club in Newmarket NH (6:30), and Saturday...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Double-Stops Lessons

Sharon Gilchrist taught her system at Targhee several years ago and for me it was hands down the best explanation that completely clicked with me. I can do DS anywhere any key no problem. Check her...
  17. so i looked up Sharon Gilchrist on youtube last night

I've been taking mandolin class on pegheadNation, Sharons lessons, for a while now and I totally enjoy her teaching style.
    I had never looked her up on youtube, for some reason I was looking around...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Public service anouncement

Yeah, but if you get the new Shmergel Defenestrator with Dial-A-Tone(TM), you can have each of those different sounds at the twist of a knob!
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Public service anouncement

In my case my life evolved. It changed. I am surprised at how much it has changed. It is to point that if the music stopped there would be a huge hole in my life. I sure did not start that way. It...
  20. Replies
    Views

Public service anouncement

Please be advised: Want vs Need IMHO, which is of course correct:

Need is
    1. you don't own a mandolin
    2.your mandolin is not solid wood
    3. your mandolin is solid wood but hasn't had the...
  21. Information about Weber, Flatiron and Gibson Instruments

We recently discovered players can no longer obtain information on Weber instruments built prior to 2013 from the Weber company. Mary and I would be happy to help with any questions or concerns you...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Steve Martin Signed mandolin on Ebay

There's only one Mandolin Steve Martin has ever had his hands on that I'm interested in but, it's on long term loan... I got to play on it once, too. I still sounded like me.

Jamie
  23. Re: Nordwall 10-string cittern - just ordered one!

An update - construction has begun on my cittern! I'll be picking it up in Sweden on the weekend of June 7-10th at a folk festival called Ransäterstamman.

Can't wait!

I will share...
  24. Nordwall 10-string cittern - just ordered one!

For the past couple years I've traveled a fair bit to Sweden to play music and learn the local fiddle tunes (so many polskas!) and have encountered a whole lot of amazing musicians. A few of them...