Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Was away quite a while...

Welcome back :mandosmiley:
  2. Replies
    Views

Good to "see" you again! I've always enjoyed your sharing your knowledge and experience!
  3. Replies
    Views

Always appreciate your posts, indeed it is good to see you here again :mandosmiley:
  4. Replies
    Views

Welcome back!
  5. Replies
    Views

Still enjoying the Travelite case you once sold me!
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner Pedal vs. Headstock Tuner

TC Polytune in every case. Be it acoustic guitar, acoustic mandolin, electric guitar, electric mandolin

I just turn the volume down for silent tuning…don’t see the need for a tuning pedal anymore.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis, Pava, or Collings MT2

The Ellis I owned had no challenges with volume or being heard in large jams or in a full bluegrass band. I do agree that they tend to have a darker and more low end emphasis. I sold the Ellis when I...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F5's from the 70's

Just look at them. They sound worse.
  9. Re: Information on quality of the ARBOR f style Mandolin requeste

If you can get it for $200 or so, it's probably worth a shot. A Kentucky or similar A or F made in the past decade is going to be a much better instrument, though. Once you get up into the $350...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: The end of my playing days.

I have been thinking of Ivan the last few weeks and wondering how he was doing. This is sad news indeed. Condolences to his wife, family and friends. You are much missed here Ivan.
  11. Replies
    Views

Sorry to hear Ivan’s passing. I wish the best for his family.

I enjoyed the private messages about mandolins with Ivan.
  12. Replies
    Views

Back in 2009 when I joined the Cafe, within a week I had a 'phone call from Ivan. He saw a new member from the UK and he reached out. Over the years we exchanged all kinds of music, he helped me with...
  13. Replies
    Views

I am honored that Ivan himself started this thread and was willing to communicate with me and so many others concerning his condition. Thank you Ivan for showing us dignity in the face of long odds.
  14. Replies
    Views

What a loss, he will be sorely missed.
  15. Replies
    Views

I don't know if THIS story from the UK has been posted already - forgive me if it has. A touching gesture directed toward the memory of a musical friend.

16. Choro das 3 - stolen instruments, mics, and tour gear

Very sad news. Last week, while Choro das 3 was traveling from Barcelona to their next gig in France, someone broke the glass in their van and stole many, if not most, of their instruments and mics,...
  17. Re: my goodness, that Ellis F in the classifieds, geewhizzzz!!

I have two Ellis mandolins , one an A5 and the other a F5. Fantastic workmanship and sound ! Never seen or heard a bad one !
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Solo Performance Gear

Boatloads of money will solve this problem any number of ways.

A couple of QSC K 10s and a small mixer will cover everything pretty well. Take one for a small solo gig, two for small bands or...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Top 5 Sam Bush tracks

I don’t know if it’s still available anywhere, but he did an album when he was a teenager with Alan Munde on banjo called Poor Richard’s Almanac. The quality is funky but his picking (even back then)...
  20. Replies
    Views

Hi folks - This is more or less due to a prompt by Trevor at TAMCO UK,whom,apparently has been fielding a few enquiries about my current health. As much of a gentleman & & all round nice guy that...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking For Information on this Mandolin

On the other hand, I love the headstock inlay, which seems to represent a partially excavated Austrolopithecus skeleton.

Seldom find these paleontological references in mandolin construction, IMHO.
  22. Re: man I need a good tuner foot pedal model. not clip on

The TC Polytune is a VERY good foot pedal tuner anyway you strike it. A good second to this would be the Korg Pitchblack Custom. Also very good.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: cites rules on older instruments

Please note that although the regulations may be a pain for musicians, there are good reasons for them. Gangs would illegally clear-cut rosewood growths for use in furniture, popular in Asia. They...
  24. Re: Bluegrass/celtic band playing Train 45 SUPER FAST

Agreed Dave....fine musicians, however way too fast for soul...and discernible tone.
  25. Re: Bluegrass/celtic band playing Train 45 SUPER FAST

Anything played too fast seems to lose it's soul IMHO.

Dave H
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4