Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Dave Apollon and his 1923 Loar # 73009

I have a theory regarding the excellent tonal qualities of #73009. When it was returned to the factory in 1937 for the repair of the crack in the top, Gibson sandblasted the old finish off the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: McCray Picks: Anyone know about them?

I have two McCray picks, a 1.5 and a 1.8mm. I like them but I am not sure they are the cat's pajamas. I think sometimes they sound better than my equivalent sized BC picks, but I do go back and...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: what's the deal with Dusty Miller

there are several versions of Bill Monroe playing it on Facebook, in the Monroe Mandolin group. There is one two-part version and a three-part version as well.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: My new 'old' Mandolin - Gibson 1917 F-4

Okay, Okay....97045970469704797048970499705097051970529705397054 And it is a 1915 mandolin!! thanks TI!
  5. Replies
    Views

1996 Gibson M-5 Mandola

Just thought I'd share the newer of the new acquisitions. Pictures of the older one soon.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200518665114840.2207244.1404326957&type=3
  6. Re: Mrs. Hyatt's Music House Preservation Fundraiser in Asheville

The Preservation Society of Asheville Buncombe County (PSABC, a 501(c)(3) non-profit) is serving as the Non-Profit pass-thru for the Mrs. Hyatt's Music House Preservation Society. All donations from...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Asheville Mandopolitan Area

Ditto on Nick Chandler.
    Jack Dillen is right in Asheville.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Rest in peace, John McGann

I've known John for a long time. He lived in the Back Bay in Boston when I lived in Cambridge. We saw each other a lot. And played mandolin a LOT. He called me E-Bones and I called him J-mac. ...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe Question

I think Bill liked me too; he stated, in front of me to another mandolin player. that I was a "... pretty good mandolin player". He also invited me to his farm and had me onstage with him a few...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Evening prayer blues

Sharing is a good thing.......
    Bill was very fond of & protective towards DeFord.
  11. Replies
    Views

Sticky: Re: Loar Picture of the Day

Re: Gail and 'NOS'....
    She told me a while back she was collecting some really vintage woods to someday make a really vintage NOS mean mandolin machine. I made a minor contribution to her vintage...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Does one need to replace Wegen picks?

Uhhhh....
    I think I read on the innernet that Wegens were Kevlar.
    Didn't Chris Thile say the difference between the black and white picks was that the former gave a darker tone to the playing? He...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Dave Apollon and his 1923 Loar # 73009

Here is a little video about #73009.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRW7tfhimGQ
  14. Re: Thunderstruck by Mike Compton's Words on Monroe and Tremelo

Well, I guess I need toss in my $.0125 here.
    I got to play with Bill Monroe a number of times.
    I have played with Mike Compton a number of times.
    I sat in and played with Bill at a couple of his...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe....43 years ago

I have to make my opinion known about Rowan's 'Vertical Guitar' style. I think Peter was one of the strongest guitar men who played in the BGB and his playing put a bit of fire under Monroe, whose...
  16. Replies
    Views

I remember one night after a "Down From the...

I remember one night after a "Down From the Mountain" show I was listening to Ricky Skaggs give an opinion of Nancy Blake's Loar (an April 25th, '23). He was telling that it was a real dog and needed...
  17. Replies
    Views

Bill did not buy Joe Val's mandolin. He had two...

Bill did not buy Joe Val's mandolin. He had two Lloyd Loar mandolins.
    When I asked him how many mandolins he had, he told me he had about 14.
  18. Replies
    Views

"The Lloyd Loar" was written for the "...fine...

"The Lloyd Loar" was written for the "...fine folks at Gibson...." who fixed up #73987.
    The particular individual responsible for the splinter re-assembly is included in the picture below (hint:...
  19. Replies
    Views

There is an interesting article floating around...

There is an interesting article floating around somewhere on the 'net about the Virzi. If I remember correctly, it deals with the perceived sounds of instruments of the round-hole and F-hole variety....
  20. Replies
    Views

I think both are Monroe compositions. I do have...

I think both are Monroe compositions. I do have the sound clip of Monroe where Monroe attributes #authorship of Jerusalem Ridge to Kenny Baker, but I think this was just a public nod to Baker. ...
  21. Replies
    Views

Well, of xcourse the starting point is Bill...

Well, of xcourse the starting point is Bill Monroe's album The High Lonesome Sound. Ralph Rinzler's detailed notes give a starting point for understanding Monroe and the music he made.

Release...