Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin misunderstanding by young folk

This seems like an ad in the wrong section of the forum.
  2. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

That's a very interesting comment about Art, given that everything that's made is a form of human expression. The hierarchy of 'utility' versus 'ART' seems challenged by better machines. And many...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Gender

You mean 'le fil'?
  4. Re: Best practices for starting to attend an Irish session

I attend the session in question on a regular basis. It's a great, welcoming session. Please do not speculate about the character of the session. I have contacted the OP privately, and I'm happy...
  5. Re: Best practices for starting to attend an Irish session

Amanda -

Did you attend the Montpelier Rabble Rouser session? I'm a regular there, although I did not attend yesterday. Happy to fill you in on the scene. You'll be fine. You just need to...
  6. Replies
    Views

In most languages it is feminine.

In Spanish it's feminine - la mandolina
    In French it's feminine - la mandoline
    in German it's feminine - die mandoline
    in Dutch it's feminine
    In Russian it's...
  7. Replies
    Views

nope, nope, nope....

no genders or names, please!

(well, I guess Jeff Mando is OK...:cool:)
  8. Replies
    Views

Agree with all other points made here. Interesting. My first thought was that its just like boats. A quick Google search says, "By referring to boats as 'she', sailors expressed their reliance on...
  9. Replies
    Views

Two things about this have always seemed fairly evident. First is that men frequently express affection for, dote on, and even caress objects that they possess such as instruments and vehicles, and...
  10. Re: How would I play this? (Would I play this as written?)

I have that book, "The Scottish Violinist" which is in fact a book of selected JSS compositions from several of his collections, and some of his variations on tunes like "East Neuk of Fife".
    It's a...
  11. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

Yep. Indeed, the list of signatories to that letter struck me as somewhat interesting given the fact that many of those newer artists owe at least some of their success to an algorithm that promoted...
  12. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

I agree that AI will start with pop music, which is already quite formulaic. Û Can AI create improvisational music ?
  13. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

The post I responded to said "And yet every town has a "Classic Rock" station burning you out to the tunes you burned out to all those yers ago." My only point is that "every [American] town"...
  14. Re: How would I play this? (Would I play this as written?)

Hear it played here by Dave Swarbrick at around 2:26/

https://youtu.be/1upYyh4J7R4?si=zkVEnhC9xYmmSCIL
  15. Re: How would I play this? (Would I play this as written?)

I wouldn't play both at the same time. I would likely use the higher notes for beginning verses and end the last verse with the lower notes.
  16. Re: How would I play this? (Would I play this as written?)

I think there have been many editions between the original and the 2013 re-publication. I bought a brand new copy, just like Frank's, in the early 1970's. There was no publication date or...
  17. Re: How would I play this? (Would I play this as written?)

This Scottish site says that The Scottish Violinist was published in 1900. I'm surprised that I can't find more sites with the original publication date, as Scott Skinner was popular internationally...
  18. Re: How would I play this? (Would I play this as written?)

Ha! Yeah it is from this collection: https://www.cranfordpub.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CPOS&Product_Code=SV-b&Category_Code=S

There is no information about the original...
  19. Re: How would I play this? (Would I play this as written?)

It couldn't be done on fiddle either. Skinner (1843-1927) often gave alternate ways of playing a tune, which is what he did here. He was a highly skilled, trained musician and a stage performer, who...
  20. How would I play this? (Would I play this as written?)

I can’t see how I would play both ascending and descending lines at the same time. Am I supposed to?
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: At the Balalaika

Sure Simon, look here:

https://www.uv.es/perezgil/K_INTERPRETACION.htm
  22. Re: Tell me of your love affair with an A style...

When I first started getting into the mandolin, I saw a lot of videos with F-style mandos and was at first enamored with the scroll. "Wow, fancy." But then I realized that I like the sound of oval...
  23. Replies
    Views

At the Balalaika

This is the theme of the film Balalaika (1939), an American musical romance film based on the 1936 London stage musical of the same name. Directed by Reinhold Schunzel, it starred Nelson Eddy and...
  24. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

Yes I know some cobblers. They've resoled my old boots a few times.

Not everyone who enjoys real, live, handmade by humans organic music is a grumpy old hipster. I see lots of folks of all ages...
  25. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

So much is mimicked in music (ask Rob Paravonian) that AI can hardly add any more of mimicking. The danger of AI lies in the ease of deep-faking and the loss of recording credibility. It may, OTOH,...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4