Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: replacement tuners for Gibson A2Z

Measure twice, buy once.
    Gibson's changeover from parts of older design to others of newer design was never instantaneous, and sometimes rather slow and disorderly.
    Assume nothing and measure.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: replacement tuners for Gibson A2Z

The OP really needs to measure the post spacing. If it's the old post spacing he only has one option with new tuners. If it's modern spacing he has quite a few options new. I'd still like to see...
  3. Replies
    Views

Rest in peace - Bob Page has passed

Posting this on behalf of a friend of the family. As many of you are aware, Bob Page was a frequent name in the Classifieds and posted a lot of instruments and was a true friend to the mandolin...
  4. The Mandolin Store has moved to Lebanon, Ohio

This has been in the works awhile but just made official today. Here's the content from their email:

In 2020 when I moved the store to TN, I didn’t realize what the immediate future would hold....
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Unsigned Loar on Reveb

Well, just like any other used instrument, it's what a buyer and a seller can agree upon in a finite moment of time.

Since I've had some experience buying and selling older instruments over the...
  6. Replies
    Views

As William Shakespeare so wisely observed in Romeo and Juliet, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

As Darryl so knowledgeably points out, there are a few old Gibson F-5s without the...
  7. Replies
    Views

I suspect inventory control is a contributor. An order would generate a parts bill, each part would be pulled from inventory or manufactured for that batch. Those parts would make ‘x’ instruments. ...
  8. Replies
    Views

Yes there are only a handful of true "Unsigned" Loar F-5's! They are all in Varnish finish with the Dark Cremona shades of color, I think all have Gold plated hardware with the same tuners, hardware...
  9. Replies
    Views

What are known as the "unsigned Loars" did not, as far as I know, have a lacquer finish or white plastic used anywhere on them for binding. The "true" "unsigned Loars" were, as Bill Smith and others...
  10. Replies
    Views

What Bill Smith said. "Unsigned Loars" have a Loar FON, which is, I believe, in all cases 11985. And that FON is from 1923 (!), rather than 1924 according to Spann. As the FON is normally covered by...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Worm under, Worm over? A visual guide.

Those tuners are only moderately modern, as they are from pre-2005, when Stew-Mac changed the plate design and width (to the vintage 16.4 mms). And, of course, the five screw holes and the modern...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Worm under, Worm over? A visual guide.

I see A style tuners designed for worm under (looking at worm direction) with arrow end plates that would be "replica" for Loar era snakehead BUT those had only three mounting screws. This set has...
  13. Replies
    Views

Stolen mandolin recovered!

Hi all,

I just wanted to share a very happy story with you, and it's really only happy because of the help of this wonderful community here on Mandolin Cafe!

Earlier last year our shop was...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson inlays

I wonder if they had a band? The Aumann Brothers Band.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson inlays

Goes to show it's worth going through the Mandolin Archive more often.
  16. Re: How important is having the original hardshell case?

All that you need is to walk into a big jam one time with one of these in tow and the reaction of every instrument nerd in the room will have you hooked for life.

I bought my first vintage tweed...
  17. Re: 1923 Gibson Mandolin Production Estimate - By Model

Yes, exactly.
  18. Re: 1923 Gibson Mandolin Production Estimate - By Model

The A-2z model was not offered prior to the year 1924.

In my opinion, based on only partial data, in the year 1924 Gibson made about 200 A-2z and then the same amount in the year 1925, for a total...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: '17 A-1 Bridge

The bridge had a shim (a forum member suggested that I look for it) and appears to have a piece added to the top/saddle of it, possibly to help with intonation. I decided to keep the original bridge...
  20. Thread: 1918 f4

by sgarrity
    Replies
    Views

Re: 1918 f4

That is stunning!
  21. Thread: 1918 f4

by Skip Kelley
    Replies
    Views

Re: 1918 f4

Darryl, that F4 looks awesome! I love that case too! Congratulations!!
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: 1915 Gibson A Pickguard issue

Actually Darryl Wolfe said that in this message in this thread.
  23. Replies
    Views

OK, Lots of good info here.

So far I've done the following:

I did use a thin lemon oil to lubricate the area on the theory that the rust would be loosened a bit and the nails might come out a...
  24. Replies
    Views

I've coaxed them off with very thin wood shims and defunct credit cards, nudging and prying gently along the length a little at a time. I had one that was really stuck good and it took me nearly 3...
  25. Replies
    Views

That I never thought of but it would make sense. Thanks.

Paul's picture:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4