Search:

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Standard

same with blue chips and tone-gards..............
  2. Replies
    Views

Double Standard

I usually check this forum quite regularly, about 5 days a week, and I've noticed a double-standard in some of the responses.

It's time to play devil's advocate.

In a recent thread, someone...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Arm rest. Y or N?

Yes, and I advise you to get a McClung.
    https://hillcountrystringworks.com/armrest5.html

I love Northfield mandolins, but I have had an armrest like the one they offer, and they are nowhere near...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: sanding/scratching picks for better grip

Rub a little bit of violin rosin on the pick.

If you have a thick modern finish that your bridge slips around on, the same works well for that.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I learn to make bridges while I'm at it?

I think you should slow down a bit and do some extra work out on your handtool skills. IF you intend to become a good builder you should work patiently and carefully. Each stroke of the tool (or even...
  6. Re: How to Open a Vintage Guitar Store in Seven Easy Steps

I was always told the secret to making a million dollars with a vintage guitar shop is to start out with 2 million worth of inventory. Many folks with a good size collection think they can use that...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Live from Here is no more

This is an American tragedy. Thile elevated mandolin playing to an entirely new level, and he brought the music we all love to a wide audience. It was such a pleasure to tune in to his program. I...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: In praise of mandolin builder Matt Ruhland

Nice playing and good sounding mandolin but man.....if you'd break that up into some paragraphs it would make it a lot more readable.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Why do people do this?

My friend was a big eBay seller of vintage guitars and parts. He coined a new term for grading that was purposefully confusing, describing an item as being in "excellent vintage condition" -- the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: The Best of times; the worst of times.

I'm very sorry to hear this. I've enjoyed your posts and input for a long time.

I hope your path is easy and a recovery that is quick and unexpected.

You are most certainly in my thoughts.
  11. Replies
    Views

Phil, the Archbishop of the Anglican Catholic Church sends his blessing.
  12. Replies
    Views

Phil,
    I’m so sad to hear this news. I know you’ve been dealing with a lot of pain for a long time. You’ll be in my thoughts and prayers and I want you to know that I always enjoyed our visits when...
  13. Replies
    Views

Phil, the Archbishop of the Anglican Catholic Church as well as the Rectors of St. John the Evangelist Menominee Falls WI., and St.Patrick’s parish here in Kalamazoo are all praying for you.
  14. Replies
    Views

Phil, it was a pleasure getting to know you a little at Augusta a few years ago. And corresponding with you here every so often. Wishing you peace and comfort and the joy of loved ones in this...
  15. Replies
    Views

When I read your posts Phil I always feel like I’ve just been let in on something I didn’t know before, thank you for all your insight.
    Stay positive. I will request that prayers be offered at Mass....
  16. Replies
    Views

My best to you Phil. I've always looked forward to your input. You make this a better place. Thank you.
  17. Replies
    Views

I'm flattered -- and truly honored! -- to have been listed as one of your mentors. As a university scientist, I've mentored a good many students over the years, but never have I thought of myself as...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Describe your MAS progression

My process has been to get the last mandolin I will ever need. I've done that a good five or six times now.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Major chord arpeggios

"More notes is better than fewer notes" - Excuse me if I'm reading you wrong, but that seems to be the gist of your thinking, and I couldn't disagree more. Following that logic, why learn any...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Changed back to nickel-silver frets

I started to realize that several years ago. I was standing on the front porch of Tim's house with my poker buddies. On the 4th ring of the telephone inside the house I said "Tim, do you want to get...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Changed back to nickel-silver frets

OMG, so much myth in one thread....
    Considering one fret material better than another judging by (finally good) refret of poorly setup mandolin is downright silly IMHO.
    Many makers (well probably...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Speed neck recommendation

Thanks Phil, excellent info and answers.all very helpful for me
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: "Playing the circle of fifths"

But no one does, so what's your point? Roughly, theory is a sytematized collection of devices and concepts serving to unify and connect a multitude of special instances, and aiding one's orientation...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: "Playing the circle of fifths"

To keep it from getting mechanical I practice chord movement up and down arpeggios a lot. So it becomes second nature. Never think about what the 3’s and 7's actually are though when playing. Just...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Right hand wrist position

I think your right hand position looks normal.
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4