Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Considerations -- Add to my List

Randy Wood, for sure.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: "Powerful/Loud!"

I avoid jams where there are a whole bunch of players beating on their instruments trying to be heard.
  3. Re: Campanella two-point (How to make an accent on due?)

Play it a lot for about a year with the daddy-o 74s and revisit the issue in a year.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Dots or no dots

I install side dots on all my mandolins and guitars. I rarely install fingerboard inlays. In my eye, less is more. I am not a fan of over the top bling either.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Satin NC lacquer how to advice needed

Rub it out with Rottenstone.
  6. Re: IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year Finalists for 2018

There are very few playing bluegrass as defined. Most of the singers sound the same. Ditto the mandolin players and Tint Rice clone guitar players. I got rid of XM \Serius because there was no...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Ultimate Bluegrass All Star lineup

Everett and Bea Lilley with Don Stover . Tater Tate, Bass. Paul Warren, fiddle.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: questions about hide glue

Warm both sides of the joint before applying glue. Dry run your clamping procedure until you are confident. If the glue starts to get too thick, just add a little water to get the consistency you...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: My hat is off!...

Ebony can be tricky. The thinner,of course, the easier to bend. I broke a few pieces along the way. I get it real wet and go slow. To much heat makes it real brittle and once dry and brittle it...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Heat bending cherry- soak or spritz?

I have bent a lot of cherry sides for fiddles and guitars and I agree with Sunburst in that I don't "soak" the cherry, but just wipe it totally with a wet cloth and immediately go slow on a medium...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Has anyone seen this feature on a neck?

I have seen and played mandolins that had it, but it was above the nut and out of the way. That one appears to extend too far down into the neck.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Sanding off material safely

Ivana- what leads you to believe that wood needs to be removed? And where on the instrument does wood need to be removed?
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you remove that metal seal?

I use a sharpened screwdriver to punch a hole near the edge and pry and rock it out. It also helps to make derogatory remarks about the can's ancestry.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Strung it up today.

Carved double bass.
  15. Replies
    Views

Strung it up today.

I was getting worried about carrying my Randy Wood F5 around to festivals and jams, so I decided to build an A5 and leave the F5 at home. Anyway, here are a few pics. Quilted maple back and sides....
  16. Re: What strings do you put on the instruments you make?

How did you know who is a pro and who isn't? There is no difference from a brand new mandolin and an old one as far as string selection. The new owner is going to put on whatever THEIR preference is....
  17. Re: What strings do you put on the instruments you make?

Daddio J74
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Questioning fret level diagnosis

Being in Michigan, try Elderly Inst. in Lansing.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Hide glue reccomendations

I use a Sunbeam "Hot Pot".
  20. Replies
    Views

Rib thickness.

How thick do you make your ribs?
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Christmas List Help

A Dozuki pull cut saw, 9 sweep-15mm gouge, 3 sweep-16mm gouge, 1/2 flat bench chisel, the finger plane mentioned above also get the toothed blade, a decent #5 bench plane, a good quality carving...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Oil Varnish Final Rub Out

For a mandolin or fiddle, skip the block and just use your fingers to rub with the micromesh. Pals, Vic.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Oil Varnish Final Rub Out

I have been using oil violin varnish for all of my instruments and this is the method that works for me. When you have applied your two clear coats, wait appx. a week to let it dry. Then level and...