Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Tab vs. Dots

OK, dots means standard notation. It's a really good thing to learn to read standard notation. I learned it when I took classical guitar lessons. There are several major advantages over tablature. It...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Gender

:)) I needed a chuckle today, thanks!
  3. Re: Separation of Neck From Body… What a Bummer

That is truly a bummer! I do hope you can get a return going when the seller is back in communication. Either it was not packed correctly and/or it was ready to let loose anyway. My students have had...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing mandolins with a mandolin

I had just bought a Santa Cruz 000-12 fret guitar (many years ago) and laid it on my kitchen counter (for some reason). The back kitchen door was open, a breeze blowing into the kitchen. I was in the...
  5. Re: Tell me of your love affair with an A style...

An ivory mandolin in an ivory case. Now THAT'S cool!
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Postal Mandolin

OK, that scroll... :disbelief: I kind of like the creative use of the door plate... kind of.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Bringing a Mandolin on a long trip

One factor is how long you will be visiting. If your visit is short, you probably will not even have the time to play your mandolin. I made a four day trip to Maine last year and would have never had...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: How to combat memorization tendencies?

I teach mandolin and I will tell you (the short version) of what I do with my students and what I figured out to do when I was a beginner bridging into intermediate level.

You have not been...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

Well, if Collings believes in using torrefied tops, then I have to believe that there is something to it. I have heard from a reliable, knowledgeable guitar player who has played hundreds of guitars...
  10. Re: Most tunes I post to YouTube are 65+ years old

I have said, more than once, to one of my younger students, "I like more modern music, like the 90s and early 2000s", and they give me the strangest look. :confused:
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Arthritis

I have several students with arthritis and their best results has come from receiving very excellent professional physical therapy. Buying a hand exerciser has a very repetitive motion and that might...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to learn Mandolin with ADHD

The first step for anyone learning mandolin is to have a decent sounding one that has as good a setup for easy playability. I am no actual expert on ADHD but I did teach elementary, middle school,...
  13. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Not the murdered man ballads? :confused:
  14. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

How about banning murder ballads? <just kidding!> :grin:
  15. Re: If you don't have the cash for a Gilchrist

:disbelief: Yeah, if you DO have the cash for a Gilchrist Model 5 and... Oh, LOOK! You buy this instead... :confused:
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Paganini for Mandolin

Does these work?

Audio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8JFOx7mJR8

and a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMgWTSUdZII
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mid tier Mando that will hold its value

Mid-tier could mean roughly $3,000 to some, $5,000 or more to others. You can spend less than that and get a pretty nice mandolin. You'll get more for your money, in most cases, if you buy an A-style...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar player wanting to learn mandolin

David Benedict has some good advice on budget starter mandolins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmTu2GpRE7o&t=84s
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Man....I had a blue guitar...

Very nice! The color of your new Morris reminds me of some of the tones of blue used for The Blue Collection, which consists of archtop guitars built by the top archtop builders in the world.
    Here...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

Hard to tell what is real these days. I am FAR more afraid of AI than Bill Monroe!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: DI for K&K pickup?

Another vote here for the Redeye pre. VERY transparent and easy to use.
  22. Re: Video: John Reischman's solo from "Nesser"

Very, VERY well played. Notice how relaxed Jesse's hands are. If you play with tension in your hands, it is impossible to play this smoothly.

That's a GREAT sounding mandolin, Jesse!

Nick, it...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Using a capo with a mandolin?

I rarely use a capo on mandolin and it's a definite never for bluegrass. But let's say that a singer wants to sing in Eb (D#) (ye gads!) and I seek open ringing chords and drones out of D, and that...
  24. Re: British guy here – how should I spend $10,000?

This model mandolin just popped into my head: Gibson Sam Bush F5 model. It has a wide nut, cool block inlay and they sound GREAT. I have heard one played in person and I was mighty impressed. I would...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Girouard Griffith Tribute A5

Oh, how gorgeous (in looks and sound) are both of those Loar A5 tribute mandolins!

Do they both have a flat fingerboard?
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4