Search:

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Would I be happier with a ‘20s Gibson F4?

I have not heard from Gail in a number of years. I am not aware of any on her build list. Take care Jim.
  2. Poll: Re: Vintage Flatiron Performer A (1993, Bozeman) vs Eastman MD305

To me that is a no brainer. The Eastman is a very nice instrument at it's price point, but the Flatiron is another level of tone and feel. Flatiron is my choice.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin 'dogs'?

Robert Bowen was at my home for a picking party. The daughter of a good friend asked him to play her new cheep guitar. I played that guitar before the session and it sounded tinny and was extremely...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Cullng the herd

You can live with out your wants. You cannot live without your needs. By that I guess I don't need any instruments, but my... life would be drab.
  5. Replies
    Views

I suspect Pheff being an owner of a Hester A5 knows exactly why I am keeping my Hester F4. I just thought it was a worthy question to try to share my answer.
  6. Replies
    Views

My buddy Pheff asked why I decided to keep the Hester and rehoming the Collins. There a few reasons. One the Hester has a slightly solter more gentle sound that I prefer. Second, Gail made that for...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin 'dogs'?

A friend, who is a luthier, brought me a Loar (the real deal) to try out. According to him, it spends most of the time in a safe. I sat down with great excitement so afraid that I might drop it. ...
  8. Re: Does the mandolin world suffer much from fakes?

While not specifically called bench copies, I can think of dated Red Diamond and Stanley that make every effort to copy the Loar sound and the look as close as possible.
  9. Thread: Gratitude

by red7flag
    Replies
    Views

Re: Gratitude

Flatrock, while I have not bought a mandolin at Carter's, I have bought a guitar. I also have sold a lot of instruments by consignment through Carter's during the last year. I would never take...
  10. Thread: Gratitude

by red7flag
    Replies
    Views

Gratitude

I went to a 12 step meeting concerning the topic of gratitude then read the Gilchrist thread. Normally when I read a thread about a high end maker or go to Carter Vintage and play a great mandolin,...
  11. Replies
    Views

Types of Mandolin Collections

Over the years of being a Cafe member, I have noticed that there seems to be two different approaches to collecting. One buying different versions of a type of mandolin. For example, six different...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Went Outside the Box, again.

I just wanted to update this post. After a couple of days of hard playing, I found the J65 a bit bright for my playing. I went on Acoustic Guitar forum and found that the J40 is the same basic...
  13. Re: What are, celtic-, bluegrass-, classical etc. mandolins?

Put a F5 or A5 in. my hand and before long bluegrass will mostly be played. Put an F4 or oval in my hand, folk, Irish and gypsy will result. Put my Martin in my hands and English folk comes out. My...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Is playing TABS detrimental to really learning?

A number of years ago, I learned a song on the banjo by tab that I had never heard, *Make Me a Pallet on Your Floor." It sounded kind of flat. A week later at a street fair, I bought a Doc Watson...
  15. Replies
    Views

Went Outside the Box, again.

I was looking at a row of Martins at Carter Vintage and saw one the didn't look right. It was blond back and sides. Checked the tag. Said Martin J65M. I never heard or seen on before. I is a...
  16. Re: Sparse mando and guitar examples aka taste lessons

While somewhat in the bluegrass realm, Skaggs and Rice, has some beautiful arrangements. Bury Me Beneath the Willow is to me sublime.
  17. Re: Octave Mandolin question: Teardrop versus mando-guitar?

As has been commented on, the tone of a particular instrument has a number of factors that may well be more important than the shape. I prefer the GOM to the traditional shape because guitar shape,...
  18. Replies
    Views

Very Lucky Guy

My music studio was a little slow this week giving me time to play all my mandolin family instruments. What a collection... As you can see from the list below, I have a wide variety of instruments...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Old vs New Oval

I have had and have both. I have a raised fret, Collings MT2-O. Great instrument. I have a Hester F4 recreation of a 20s F4. Awesome. I prefer the short neck sound of the F4 when playing alone...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Old vs New Oval

Pheff,Walter Carter has an Old Wave oval A mandola. Was mine in the past. Great instrument. I have a Giroaurd sp? Oval A Studio Mandola (mine on consignment, I traded in the Old Wave to get it). ...
  21. Replies
    Views

Circle of Fifths

For the past week, playing electric bass, I have been working on arpeggios using three different chord shapes around the circle of fourths, starting with C. Then, staying in one position: frets 1-5,...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: 2 Oval=Holes With Different Feels and Voices

Here are some pictures from Gail when the F4 was finished
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Concerning Loar copy mandolins

I have played 4 Loars. Two were mind blowing. Both had tone and feel. The body just seem to reverberate in my hands. Both of those were played on a regular basis. The other two were great...
  24. Replies
    Views

2 Oval=Holes With Different Feels and Voices

I am really fortunate to have two oval hole mandolins that meet different roles. First, is the Hester F4, maple back and sides, addi top, and short scale with the fret board attached to the top. ...
  25. Re: Good or Great Mandolins: What Makes the Difference?

11 years and still interesting. I have four instruments that were made for me by top builders, Ellis, Hester, Mowry and Nyberg. I spent time both playing examples of each builder and getting...
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4