Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Hi Folks! Here's the first two videos I ever posted. 13 Years ago, shot on a Sony 8 digital tape. These were shortly before I found the MC and got back into mandolin again. Thanks for the...
  2. Thread: Bowl back science

by Tavy
    Replies
    Views

Bowl back science

Interesting to see someone investigating the science of bowlbacks https://brill.com/view/journals/ijwc/2/1-3/article-p1_1.xml
  3. Replies
    Views

Happy Birthday Tom Rozum

May you have a warm, happy and lovely birthday.

One of his wonderful songs, sadly never on an album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv5UPOgGeEQ
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Ohio Heritage Fellow : Don Macrostie

Let's see if this works.

Oj2xTSBhusc
  5. Re: The Change That I See in Bluegrass Over The Past 20 Years.

A couple of observations. I saw an interview with Dickey Betts recorded in the early '80s. He was asked what happened to Southern Rock; why did it disappear. He said it is alive and well in...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone wood pairings top and back

Thanks for the mention Dave.

I always try to point out that Dave is the first person who showed me a removable back design for a mandolin at a GAL show around maybe 2009. We may not always agree...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Study of overtones- Loar, Gil, etc?

I don't know about the paper on mandolins but you can get quite in depth perusing the Strad3D project database which is now online with lots of data, tone analysis of violins etc., all at highest...
  8. Pistol Packin' Mama--Wakefield, Reno, Wise, Nelson

Don Reno, Chubby Wise, Frank Wakefield, David Nelson, Pat Campbell (bass). Produced by Jerry Garcia.

A desert island recording. Reno's work is spectacular as is Chubby Wise's and Frank's. Just...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

This is my cover of the Ray Charles version of " Georgia On My Mind" done with a YT backing track. Thanks for the Listen!:mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzJNG8raPxY
  10. Replies
    Views

Gary Vessel Interview

one of our own gets some nice ink.

https://bluegrasstoday.com/california-report-luthier-and-picker-gary-vessel/
  11. Re: Open right hand to closed fist transition help

Doesn't directly address the OP issue but I thought Wayne's point of not ever being too old to change was great. I totally changed my grip about 20 years ago after holding the pick by my finger tips...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Is playing TABS detrimental to really learning?

Yes! Red7flag raises an important point that has not been stressed enough in this thread, neither by the strong proponents of staff notation, nor by those who prefer tablature. If you ask a computer...
  13. Replies
    Views

Freshgrass video- Everybody's Talkin'

https://youtu.be/VTtAsgmYBNc

This is marvelous and probably should go in the video part of the forum, but I figure it will get more views here, and I have a question:
    Who is playing bass here? He...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Torrefied wood caramelizes the sugars in the wood, you can read more about it here if you want to learn some new words.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Douglas fir

Acer pseudoplatanus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samara_(fruit)#/media/File:TripleSycamoreSamara.png

It's unusual.
  16. Hampton Trio Concert: Live at North Meadow Farm

This is a concert video (recorded live at North Meadow Farm in Hampton CT) by the Hampton Trio -- Mark Davis on mandolin, Beverly Davis on classical guitar, and myself, Robert Margo, on mandola in G...
  17. Replies
    Views

Pachelbel's Canon and Gigue in D

Bet you didn't know Canon in D had more to it, did you?

Point 1) the Canon isn't meant to be played as slow as it's represented in popular media. I literally can't listen to popular versions of...
  18. How to Open a Vintage Guitar Store in Seven Easy Steps

This is a wonderful read, by Walter Carter: How to Open a Vintage Guitar Store in Seven Easy Steps

19. Replies
    Views

Re: Neck dovetail and truss rod barrel nut

The easiest explanation that shows how the rod works is thinking of archery bow. The bowstring acts just like the truss rod in neck. If you shorten the string, the bow will bend more, but if you pull...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Neck dovetail and truss rod barrel nut

About 8 years ago I went on a pretty heavy truss rod quest. I contacted about a dozen of the best mandolin builders in the world hoping for some serious insight. What I got was 20 different answers...
  21. Replies
    Views

The best gadget is a big old granite surface plate. Put some dye on it, rub the part on it, and you can see exactly what you've got.
    These days, computer-controlled probes called Coordinate...
  22. Replies
    Views

Seconded - Spencer, I would definitely not put a router on that as a power source. If you can get it slow enough to not explode, you will not have any power left as Richard said. If you are tempted...
  23. Out of solidarity we will observe Blackout Tuesday

Since inception this site has attempted to serve as an oasis, a respite from the rest of the world, a place to relax, let down and get away from a lot of complicated news, hot button topics, and many...
  24. Replies
    Views

Great Practice Tool!

I was looking through some old posts this morning and ran across a thread about practice tools. A website called www.fbbts.com (Free Bluegrass Backup Tracks) has a good selection of backup tracks in...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Why So Few Resonator Mandolins?

They work for swing too...

OUla5XAjXB4
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4