Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: The modern mando that sounds most like a Loar is...

At Monroe Mandolin Camp I played a ton of instruments this year: Gils, Kimbles, Webers, and a lot of Duffs. There must have been 7 or 8 there, not including mine. It was really spooky how much the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: "Opening Up With Time"

I am so totally confused that I don't even remember what side I am on any more. Were we talking about picks?
  3. Thread: My New Duff

by NoNickel
    Replies
    Views

Re: My New Duff

Clark, we dubbed them kissing cousins. You can easily tell that they were made by the same man. In fact I played probably 4 other Duff's, including an A, and they all had the same feel and tone. ...
  4. Thread: My New Duff

by NoNickel
    Replies
    Views

Not Exclusively. He had his Duff there and I traded mine for his on the first night.
  5. Re: Gilchrist Model 5 - how long to get it to open up?

I don't have a Gil, but I do have a new Duff. There is no doubt playing opens up the box; especially since you are dealing with Red Spruce, Sugar Maple and tone bars. I was recently at Monroe...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: The mando has arrived!!!

Luna?
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Grand Mammy look at uncle Sam

You'll find a version of that done by Gene Goforth on Eminence Breakdown, and then again by John Hartford on Wild Hog on the Red Brush.
  8. Thread: My New Duff

by NoNickel
    Replies
    Views

Hopefully, you will hear it soon Clark.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Nava Cocobolo Twin-Point

That is a very attractive instrument. I wonder if you would mind giving us an idea of some of the specifications (top wood, bracing, etc.). What impact does the cocobolo have on sound?
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Guards and Arm Rests

To each their own. I personally have a pickguard, armrest and tonegard on both my mandos. So I will scratch you off as a potential future buyer of one of them.
  11. Thread: My New Duff

by NoNickel
    Replies
    Views

Well that was a great instrument and one of three at the Camp that convinced me to get a Duff. Actually, after playing Paul's mandolin, I was a little cautious, thinking "of course, the one he plays...
  12. Re: Placement of Rattlesnake Rattles Inside Instruments

That is true, although there is also about just as much internet reference to the $2 bill being lucky. Although, my intent was to honor my Dad who gave it to me and who used to break into "Lost all...
  13. Re: Placement of Rattlesnake Rattles Inside Instruments

I keep a $2 bill that my dad gave me a long time ago in my BRW for sentimental reasons. But I will take any advantage I can get, even those with sketchy origins. So I went to eBay and bought a...
  14. Thread: My New Duff

by NoNickel
    Replies
    Views

I am just reporting in on the new Duff which is about 5 weeks old now (at least in my hands). The sound of the mandolin has grown appreciably in the time I have had it. I take lessons from Mike...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: A 10 year old ellis and a 15 year old gibson

I wouldn't put that Gibson that close to the Ellis with the Fern inlay. There might be some sort of meltdown.:grin:
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Scrolls on Peghead now patented by Gibson?

I'm a corporate attorney and (unlike what one poster implied) am not rich. I am as puzzled by Gibson's actions as anyone here. I am trying to figure out, that if I worked for Gibson (rather than a...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Monroe Style Mandolin: Staggered 16th Notes

I sure wish Chris H would do another Monroe style video, maybe picking songs that explore unique Monroeisms like this. We certainly need as many resources as we can get. I would buy one for sure.
  18. Thread: My New Duff

by NoNickel
    Replies
    Views

It finally arrived last Monday. Haven't been able to check in for a couple of reasons: 1) my compter is sick and keeps shutting down; 2) a family vacation to the Smokey Mountains. As I have been...
  19. Thread: My New Duff

by NoNickel
    Replies
    Views

Well it is Franklin Park, not Franklin, which is closer to 6 hrs round trip. So, DHL final figures out (or the customs broker that they are blaming everything on figures out) that there is no duty...
  20. Thread: My New Duff

by NoNickel
    Replies
    Views

You read my mind. I would not ask which he prefers and I would expect that he would not answer such a question. Knowing Mike and his sense of humor, he would likely say "Sure, I put the Gil down...
  21. Thread: My New Duff

by NoNickel
    Replies
    Views

I have a lesson with Mike tonight. I will ask him.
  22. Thread: My New Duff

by NoNickel
    Replies
    Views

Mike Compton plays both his Gilchrist and Duff on a regular basis. I believe he loves both. Not sure if he has a favorite.
  23. Thread: My New Duff

by NoNickel
    Replies
    Views

I just got an email from Paul. Friday is D(elivery) day! So this weekend is going to be fun. The shipping papers are really kind of interesting. Apparently, I am now an "importer" of mandolins,...
  24. Thread: My New Duff

by NoNickel
    Replies
    Views

Here the sisters are together. http://www.duffmandolins.com/whats_on_bench.htm
  25. Thread: My New Duff

by NoNickel
    Replies
    Views

My New Duff

I have been playing a very nice BRW F5 for 3 years. I have gotten lots of positive comments on it and I have compared it against lots of the top mandolins out there and have never found another...
Page 1 of 2 1 2