Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian Mandolin music being forgotten ???

Mick’s post has triggered some memories of my mother. I’m half Italian, my mother’s side. Her parents came over on the boat & have their names on the wall on Ellis Island. Remember we still honor...
  2. Replies
    Views

I admit to having the good fortune of being Irish, and being raised by my Italian padroni while my mother insisted we Texan pups learn Spanish.

The cultural overlaps and blurring have always been...
  3. Replies
    Views

yes, August, the older brother of Francis, was Dean, school of humanities/music at SFSU. Carmine was their father. A talented family.
  4. Replies
    Views

Carmine Coppola is absolutely Francis Ford's father.
  5. Replies
    Views

Roman Koval, thank you for that input. I feel you hit on one of those sensitive (irritating) aspects in defining what is Italian in Italian music and who gets to be classified as composing "Italian...
  6. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g2slmtau8w0gbp7/AACtsUg5Kj7NMq4R8U_0uC-Ba?dl=0

for all those Mando nerds, here's a link to download the Italian music catalogs, listings, and title pages.
    Today, I...
  7. Re: Italian mandolin magazines: Il Plettro and Vita Mandolinistic

These journal issues were available before but Nakano provided a weird password that didn't always work. I'm so glad you've brought this all back to light, thanks Martin! Tesio published Tentarelli's...
  8. Replies
    Views

I may be due for some clarification here, Eug.

I've got Federica's book as well, and if I'm not mistaken her expertise is in traditional Italian dances, which I understand differently from how...
  9. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

Being late to the party is no matter...still means you're at the party. ;)

As SRV said "If the house is rocking, don't bother knocking...."

But this party has been going on for a looooong time,...
  10. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

Hey, I got a wedding gig and developed a need for Sheri's book. I went through it and eyeballed 42 tunes that I either knew or looked interesting, and then sat down with my guitarist pal to start...
  11. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

This weekend, actually July 11, 2014 this thread became active! seven years ago! Unbelievable! And what is even more exciting to me is how those musicians who've been outside the Italian dance...
  12. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

Great story, Sheri....I don't recall it from MLS but will go back and find it.

Fun mazurka, too. Going to add that to the posse right away.

Thanks!

Mick
  13. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

I just uploaded "Delirio D'Amore" and updated Index (see attached). The Giorno Trio recorded it in September 1951 outside a balcony window in Philadelphia. There is a long romantic balcony tradition...
  14. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9zhxeekpyeuj223/AAC83KNrCaJa6dKpZb9lDzWUa?dl=0

Don't forget that many of these titles are housed as mp3 & mp4 recordings in the Dropbox.
    The above link takes you to...
  15. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

Thank you Scott and kudos to Guggino & Barrett for bringing this project to fruition! It was at least four years ago when Mike and I jammed at Volpi's Italian restaurant and met for the first time....
  16. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

Sheri, congrats on the recognition you received in the new episode of the Mandolins and Beer podcast #94 with Mike Guggino and Barrett Smith about their new album Mia Dolce Farfalla
  17. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zo4r2lru4dprp8o/AAD8QnMbTv32URT4xIeytUPLa?dl=0 Leone's correct link

Hmmmm. that's weird. Yes, you're right. Post #617 with link to Leone takes you to nowhere. Yes, the...
  18. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

Sheri: I think this link is in error. I believe this is the correct one, but correct me if I am wrong.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zo4r2lru4dprp8o/AAD8QnMbTv32URT4xIeytUPLa?dl=0

I had upgraded...
  19. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

ITALIAN MANDOLIN TRIO PUBLSIHERS Please put these links in your browser. Everything can be downloaded. Trouble? please send pm explaining difficulty. A BIG THANK YOU goes out to all the musicians...
  20. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

Here's the link to the Pietro Tesio folder with two new titles: "El Dorado" (Ferraro) and "Toujours on Jamais" (Waldteufel) These new titles were found in Rudy Cipolla's "Trio Argentine" archives....
  21. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

Di Capua wrote about 80+ tarantella-based canzone. You've got your work cut out for you, Norman! We can eliminate the obvious titles!
  22. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

MATACEA FOLDER (to download new title)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fkfrgnk12m9dnav/AABDqK_wcJCPrELFly4cziLQa?dl=0

Attached updated Index to all publishers' titles.

It has been several years...
  23. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

I think that's unlikely, except in some experimental context - these Harmonia and Nightingale sessions were probably anything but experimental, being basically local, budget labels. I do have...
  24. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

That's interesting, I thought it was around the early 40's when Sidney Bechet recorded a tune playing all the instrument parts, that overdubbing was developed. Was overdubbing used that early on ?
  25. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

Here's a bold but plausible answer to Frankie's inquiry about Vicari recordings. It is predicated on the notion that "overdubbing" (?) or "dubbing" started around the time that Vicari made a ton of...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3